Elon
HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Default Re: Anyone Follow Denzel Bowles on Twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by CentDukesFan View Post
    http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/97357564.html

article on bowles' trip... some highlights
    Sounds to me that he thought he could coast more at JMU / CAA since it was not Texas A&M. I hope the light bulb went on and he realizes that he has to give 110% all of the time. Goins needs to help him get there in practice so he does have some competition on daily basis.

Also, reading between the lines here, it sounds like he did struggle a bit at this camp. Will be interesting to see if his name starts to surface in any early 2011 NBA draft outlooks - if it does, then maybe he did make a good impresssion afterall.
    GO DUKES !!

2009 - The year we turned the corner in men's hoops.
    2010 - The year we turned back into the Keener Krew.
    2011 - The year it could have been better - the missing piece was a basketball IQ.
    2012 - The misery continues ...
    2013 - but finally we make the NCAAs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BSKB 24 View Post
    Imagine that. You are a senior in college before you realize you have to "box out to rebound, and all that". Hopefully, Goins will school him in practice every day on rebounding. There may be hope that the light will come on. What a player he could be if that light does come on.
    I think the light is clicking - and he has a better cast around him to push him in practice this year. Combine this with Brady's hard core preaching and I think Bowles dominates next year in a way the CAA has not seen in years.
    Bowles and Goins will both average double digits in rebounds - which means a lot of OFFENSIVE rebounds when the shooters are cold.

I think as a team we will be much improved defensively - as a result of the return of Moore and Semenov + the addition of Goins + Bowles individual improvement. I also think we will be better defensively b/c of the higher intensity I forsee this group delivering in practice.

Pending injuries - I really believe we will win the CAA next year and be dancing in March.

when does the OOC teams for this season come out? I remember hearing we might play at Cameron Indoor. If thats a game early in the season, I think that would be great experience and if we play well, a great confidence booster for JMU.

Couple of quick comments:

1. Thought that the Dukes were playing in the Coaches v. Cancer tourney, but not sure that's still the case. When I ran a query the other day, didn't look like we were in the field.

2. This year's team is a bit thin in my opinion and therefore still vulnerable to injury. Only 12 'ships filled, with two of those to guys sitting out the season. That leaves 10 on scholie with two returning from key injuries. Team can be very good, but they need good health to really reach their potential.

3. Big man camp will be good for providing a barometer of where Bowles stands at the moment. Where he gets drafted, I would think, would be based on his performance in the coming season and in next year's pre-draft camps.

4. Kentucky with another great recruiting class on hand, to include Enis Kanter. He was the supposed key to their class. Kanter, if you'll recall, participated in the big man camp.

Quote Originally Posted by bsaadatmand View Post
    I think the light is clicking - and he has a better cast around him to push him in practice this year. Combine this with Brady's hard core preaching and I think Bowles dominates next year in a way the CAA has not seen in years.
    Bowles and Goins will both average double digits in rebounds - which means a lot of OFFENSIVE rebounds when the shooters are cold.

I think as a team we will be much improved defensively - as a result of the return of Moore and Semenov + the addition of Goins + Bowles individual improvement. I also think we will be better defensively b/c of the higher intensity I forsee this group delivering in practice.

Pending injuries - I really believe we will win the CAA next year and be dancing in March.
    Barry, I like your thinking and enthusiasm. I hope you are right in your prognostications. This is going to be a very interesting year. To have two players average double figures in rebounding is a little over the top, though. You have only had two players in the 41 year history of JMU basketball that averaged in double figures for a season. They are capable, however.
    King George, VA - Birthplace of James Madison and Homeplace of three JMU Hall of Famers; and OJF!

Quote Originally Posted by BSKB 24 View Post
    Barry, I like your thinking and enthusiasm. I hope you are right in your prognostications. This is going to be a very interesting year. To have two players average double figures in rebounding is a little over the top, though. You have only had two players in the 41 year history of JMU basketball that averaged in double figures for a season. They are capable, however.
    Were you one of the 2?
    I'm guessing Steve S. and one other right?

I really believe we will win the CAA next year and be dancing in March.
    i'll have what he's having!

Were you one of the 2?
    I'm guessing Steve S. and one other right?
    Yes, 12.5, 11.0 and 10.7; 11 for career and Stielper averaged 10.7 one year. I challenged Denzel last year to average 13 per game and set a new record. Talked to him about it all the time. I would love to see him do it. He is capable. Can you imagine how good he could be if he got 13 boards per game! Scary to even think about it. I would love to shake his hand after he did it and congratulate him. Nothing would please me more. That is why I am hoping Goins will beat the crap out of him in practice everyday and make him MEAN!
    Last edited by BSKB 24; 06-30-2010 at 08:15 AM.
    King George, VA - Birthplace of James Madison and Homeplace of three JMU Hall of Famers; and OJF!

Per Denzel's twitter:

"Just got some great news tonight, I got invited to lebron james camp"

sweet! that is more good experience for Denzel and some much needed confidence as well as visibility for JMU