DU
Elon
HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM
 
Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 925

Thread: Charlotte?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Too Far from Massachusetts
    Posts
    770

    Default Re: Charlotte?

    Charlotte would decline an all-sports invitation. The A10 is too hot right now. Just start the relationship by bringing them in for football. It's not like we're dividing up bowl winnings or million dollar TV contracts. It's another member to share the general costs and bolster the TV package in case they're thinking of reducing our exposure. If you block them what you're saying is you want the Southern football teams to make more long distance trips to the North. Which is flattering, but I'm not buying it.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,491

    Default Re: Charlotte?

    Quote Originally Posted by LastMinuteman View Post
    Charlotte would decline an all-sports invitation. The A10 is too hot right now. Just start the relationship by bringing them in for football. It's not like we're dividing up bowl winnings or million dollar TV contracts. It's another member to share the general costs and bolster the TV package in case they're thinking of reducing our exposure. If you block them what you're saying is you want the Southern football teams to make more long distance trips to the North. Which is flattering, but I'm not buying it.

    I have to think the CAA wants to be in a position of power, not weakness. The more football-only members participating in CAA Football, the weaker CAA Football is. There's so much uncertainty right now, I wouldn't let Charlotte into CAA Football without full CAA membership.

    If the CAA takes Charlotte as an affiliate member, what happens when Charlotte leaves for CUSA, GSU leaves for the Slum Belt, URI drops or changes affiliation, Maine, UMass & UNH (and URI) join a more regional northeast league? While there will still be a strong group of 6 remaining, it's not what it could be. Charlotte needs CAA Football more than CAA Football needs Charlotte.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    9,529

    Default Re: Charlotte?

    Quote Originally Posted by HyperDuke View Post
    Charlotte needs CAA Football more than CAA Football needs Charlotte.
    Exactly. Don't get me wrong. I'd be nice to expand CAA football into SoCon dominated western North Carolina, but that's really the only bargaining chip Charlotte has right now.

    Oh, you want to use us for three or four years while you build your I-A stadium? No...sorry. It's got to be all or nothing.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Charlotte?

    Quote Originally Posted by LastMinuteman View Post
    Charlotte would decline an all-sports invitation. The A10 is too hot right now. Just start the relationship by bringing them in for football. It's not like we're dividing up bowl winnings or million dollar TV contracts. It's another member to share the general costs and bolster the TV package in case they're thinking of reducing our exposure. If you block them what you're saying is you want the Southern football teams to make more long distance trips to the North. Which is flattering, but I'm not buying it.
    If Charlotte wants a place just to play football then they can beg the Big South or MEAC for an affiliate membership. Its not worth it. We dont need them in football, it would help hoops a little, but we're fine without them there too. That said, I think they'd be a nice addition, so if they want to bring all sports to the CAA then I welcome them to one heck of a conference and look forward to football and basketball games with them.
    2005 NCAA - CAA CHAMPIONS!
    2006 NIT Final Four!
    2007 NCAA - At Large!
    2008 CBI
    2009 CIT CHAMPIONS!
    2010 NCAA -CAA CHAMPIONS!
    2011 NCAA -CAA CHAMPIONS!

    Its just not the post season without ODU!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,491

    Default Re: Charlotte?

    Quote Originally Posted by monarx View Post
    If Charlotte wants a place just to play football then they can beg the Big South or MEAC for an affiliate membership.

    Mmmmm, Big South football! That's the stuff!

  6. #16

    Default Re: Charlotte?

    From what I understand, we are not looking to move all sports to a single conference. Seems that we are looking for a home for football only.
    2013 - The beginning of Charlotte football

    NinerNation.Net - Charlotte Athletics Forum

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,491

    Default Re: Charlotte?

    Quote Originally Posted by moss2k View Post
    From what I understand, we are not looking to move all sports to a single conference. Seems that we are looking for a home for football only.
    Independent or Big South?

  8. #18

    Default Re: Charlotte?

    Quote Originally Posted by HyperDuke View Post
    Independent or Big South?
    our AD, Judy Rose, will be talking with Tom Yeager, CAA Commissioner.

    Link to article: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...y/1118278.html
    2013 - The beginning of Charlotte football

    NinerNation.Net - Charlotte Athletics Forum

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,491

    Default Re: Charlotte?

    Quote Originally Posted by moss2k View Post
    our AD, Judy Rose, will be talking with Tom Yeager, CAA Commissioner.

    Link to article: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...y/1118278.html
    Yeah, I know. I was just messing with you. I hope Tom has a set during the meeting and lays out options for full CAA membership or nothing.

  10. #20

    Default Re: Charlotte?

    gotcha! Judy's plan is to do FCS as a way to position us for the FBS realignment, whenever that may happen.

    It makes sense for Charlotte to remain in the A-10 for our other sports and keep football separate, IMHO. For that though, we will need a conference that will understand and accept our position, knowing our aspirations to move to FBS when that opportunity opens.
    2013 - The beginning of Charlotte football

    NinerNation.Net - Charlotte Athletics Forum

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Latest CAAZone.com News


From our Sponsors: