JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlotte?

Default Charlotte?

UNC Charlotte announced they were going to start up a football program for the 2013 season. With many of their fellow A-10 schools playing football in the CAA, anyone know the possibility of them coming on board? Another football school in the south where it draws a bit more attention might not be a bad thing...especially with the departure of Hofstra, NU, and other rumors of further cuts at some northern schools.

Default Re: Charlotte?

Quote Originally Posted by hktribefan View Post
    UNC Charlotte announced they were going to start up a football program for the 2013 season. With many of their fellow A-10 schools playing football in the CAA, anyone know the possibility of them coming on board? Another football school in the south where it draws a bit more attention might not be a bad thing...especially with the departure of Hofstra, NU, and other rumors of further cuts at some northern schools.
    Who is doing "further cuts" in the North??? All 4 have come out publicly in local newspapers to support their football programs......once again another CAA Southerner talking out their arse..........

UNC Charlotte announced they were going to start up a football program for the 2013 season. With many of their fellow A-10 schools playing football in the CAA, anyone know the possibility of them coming on board?
    Charlotte's AD has stated that they're talking with the CAA, and quotes out of URI and UNH indicate that Charlotte is definitely under consideration.

I don't think there would be any objection from the Northern teams so long as Georgia State is moved South, Delaware and Villanova are moved North, and a New York area team is added (Fordham, Stony Brook or Albany, probably in that pecking order). We need a New York team anyway, it's dumb not to have one when we have this geographic footprint and are trying to improve our relationship with Comcast/Versus. That gives us an excuse to add Charlotte as the 14th team. Travel-wise having 14 teams is actually cheaper than staying at 12 teams, since it means North and South will play one less game against each other.

What we're probably looking at:

South: W&M, JMU, UR, Towson, ODU, Georgia State (+ Charlotte?)
    North: Delaware, UMass, Villanova, UNH, Maine, URI (+ Fordham/SBU?)

Delaware to Maine is definitely an airplane trip, but they'd have had to do the same thing in the South with Georgia State, plus potentially Charlotte. The South gets the burden of more trips to Georgia State, but it's partially offset by the rest of their division being less spread out than in the North.

Looks good to me. Let's do it.

I wasn't saying more programs were dropping, I have a couple of friends at some of the CAA-north schools that have said there were rumors, but all hearsay. I hope no more drop and the CAA maintains the position as the top FCS conference.

I wasn't saying more programs were dropping, I have a couple of friends at some of the CAA-north schools that have said there were rumors, but all hearsay. I hope no more drop and the CAA maintains the position as the top FCS conference.
    The "rumors" are ALWAYS part of having an FCS program North of the Mason/Dixon line.

Quote Originally Posted by LastMinuteman View Post
    (Fordham, Stony Brook or Albany, probably in that pecking order).
    Who's pecking order?

If Albany didn't have such a precarious stadium situation, they would be #1 in that pecking order.

My preference: #1 Albany #2 Stony Brook #3 Fordham

Fordham is just another Northeastern/Hofstra waiting to happen.

Stony Brook should be the choice as of right now.......large public university, nice stadium, and "decent" attendance (better than Hofstra and they play in a league with a bunch of no-name Southern schools)

I expect Fordham would be preferred by Villanova and Delaware, who are the critical members in determining whether the conference holds together. Best location, best academics, and the shortest road trip for those two. And the Catholic schools tend to watch each others' backs (except for those rogues at Boston College). Also, I would expect Fordham to gain the backing of Richmond, UMass, URI and Charlotte, being fellow A10 members among other reasons. I don't think they're an immediate threat to become the next Hofstra or Northeastern. They're a much wealthier university. I think they're the clear favorite. Remember also that taking Fordham kills the chances of the Patriot League going full scholarship, eliminating a rival (particularly to Villanova and Richmond).

Stony Brook vs. Albany is a much closer debate, but only if Albany gets a stadium under construction. The critical points are that SB already has a great facility built and is a shorter trip for URI and points south. I think only Maine and UNH would definitely back Albany. UMass isn't going to care, they'll back whichever SUNY has the best chance of being admitted into the conference if Fordham declines. I think it'd be easier to sell the Southerners and Comcast on Long Island over Upstate NY, especially since it's more of a direct replacement for Hofstra. But if instead they want Albany, by all means, bring on the Great Danes.
    Last edited by LastMinuteman; 12-13-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Charlotte is definitely interested in CAA for football...here's a link to our stadium renderings.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...tte%252049ers/

Im for Charlotte for all sports or none at all. Seriously, they'd fit in well with the CAA in hoops and everything else. They'd find the competition comparable to the A10 and the travel much easier and the rivalries better. If they dont bring hoops, I dont want them in football.
    2005 NCAA - CAA CHAMPIONS!
    2006 NIT Final Four!
    2007 NCAA - At Large!
    2008 CBI
    2009 CIT CHAMPIONS!
    2010 NCAA -CAA CHAMPIONS!
    2011 NCAA -CAA CHAMPIONS!

Its just not the post season without ODU!

Quote Originally Posted by monarx View Post
    Im for Charlotte for all sports or none at all. Seriously, they'd fit in well with the CAA in hoops and everything else. They'd find the competition comparable to the A10 and the travel much easier and the rivalries better. If they dont bring hoops, I dont want them in football.
    I agree completely. Charlotte would be great for the CAA.
    Georgia State University 2001-'05