Elon
HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: With two CAA schools dropping out of football...

Quote Originally Posted by bsaadatmand View Post
    You forget that there's a proposal on the table to expand the playoffs again to 24 teams - with 2 more auto-bids and 2 more at large teams.

Also - While a conference like that wouldn't hold a candle to the CAA - it certainly would to the Patriot league and OVC (both already autobids) and the Big South (autobid next year) - so I don't think it would be out of line.
    I didn't hear of that proposal although I am not sure how I feel about it. The CAA has ruled the playoffs recently but that is also due to the number of good teams we field. If we prolong the playoffs it means at least adding one more week to the season and putting the champ game either right before or right after christmas. I am not sold on that idea...

Although, if they were to do that then yes a division like that could garner an auto-bid.
    JMU Dukes
    New York Giants
    New York Yankees

Going 3 for 3 this year...

who wants to take bets, how much longer will the CAA keep non football schools?

Every game is a monumental war - Matt Brady
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

championship game is moved to january in 2011 (next season) i think the night before the BCS championship.

Quote Originally Posted by DBJMU06 View Post
    championship game is moved to january in 2011 (next season) i think the night before the BCS championship.
    Jeez I have not heard about either of these (upping the playoffs to 24 teams or january champ game). But wow.
    JMU Dukes
    New York Giants
    New York Yankees

Going 3 for 3 this year...

Quote Originally Posted by CentDukesFan View Post
    who wants to take bets, how much longer will the CAA keep non football schools?
    right now only 6 of our 12 schools have a football program.

right now only 6 of our 12 schools have a football program.
    major conference realignment

Every game is a monumental war - Matt Brady
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by jmuduke9 View Post
    Assuming the conference attempts to stay in its current configuration, then no you couldn't set it so they play each other every year. Under the current setup each southern school plays a grouping of 3 northern schools on a 2 year cycle. One year at home the next away. EX: This year we had UMass away, last year we had them at home, etc. It would be unfair to the rest of the conference to "set" one of the out of conference games for these two teams each year. That would only allow each of them to play 2 other schools out of the division. Also it would be an unfair situation should one of these schools become a really bad program. The rest of the conference would look upon it negatively if one was given a "gimme" game each year, instead of the opposite division team they would normally be playing, ie the conference wouldn't allow us to say we want to play URI every year instead of having to face UNH or UMass, etc.

One caveat, I suppose it is possible the two schools could elect to play an OOC game with each other in the years they weren't scheduled to face each other.
    The ACC currently sets one inter-division conference game to be the same each year. I'm not certain what all of them are but I know for Miami it is FSU and for GT it is Clemson. My personal speculation is that this was done when the conference aligned to 12 teams in order to cash in on the high profile Miami-FSU match-up early in the season and still have the chance at a Miami-FSU championship game. At the time the conference was realigned Miami was considered the class of the Big East and FSU was the team to beat in the ACC. But as we all see things change. My point, it's possible to designate inter-division rivals that play every year.

And even though the Big Ten(11) has a rotating schedule where 2 conference opponents won't be played each year, there are some match-ups that will occur every year. (Michigan-Ohio State), (Michigan-MSU)

I am very interested to see how things will unfold for the current members of the CAA.
    Last edited by DevilDawg; 12-03-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Friday before the BCS game in 2011. Originally it was promoted as the night before, but apparently got changed.
    Just keep monitoring...
    We Are The Dukes Of JMU....

Quote Originally Posted by jmuduke9 View Post
    Assuming the conference attempts to stay in its current configuration, then no you couldn't set it so they play each other every year. Under the current setup each southern school plays a grouping of 3 northern schools on a 2 year cycle. One year at home the next away. EX: This year we had UMass away, last year we had them at home, etc. It would be unfair to the rest of the conference to "set" one of the out of conference games for these two teams each year. That would only allow each of them to play 2 other schools out of the division. Also it would be an unfair situation should one of these schools become a really bad program. The rest of the conference would look upon it negatively if one was given a "gimme" game each year, instead of the opposite division team they would normally be playing, ie the conference wouldn't allow us to say we want to play URI every year instead of having to face UNH or UMass, etc.

One caveat, I suppose it is possible the two schools could elect to play an OOC game with each other in the years they weren't scheduled to face each other.
    The SEC does this

For example
    UT Plays UF, UGA, USC, UK & Vandy from the east each year.

UT plays Alabama from the west each year.

UT Plays 2 of the following each year. LSU, Auburn, MSU, Ole MIss & Ark
    At JMU 2 + 2 = 3rd and 6

Quote Originally Posted by CentDukesFan View Post
    major conference realignment

i agree but i would hate to lose GMU and VCU. they need football and ODU and JMU need them to have football.