JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NCCU Band

Default NCCU Band

I have to say that I have never known any other band at any level to play as constantly throughout the entire game as the NCCU band did Saturday. Did anyone else notice this? They didn't even seem to notice when their own team scored its lone TD. By the time the 3rd Q rolled aroud, it really started to get irritating.

The MRD plays before the game, at half, after the game and during timeouts but never when a play is taking place on the field. This is common courtesy and good sense, and if other bands are going to come into our house we should insist that they play by our house rules.
    BRING BACK THE GOLD PANTS!!!!

Default Re: NCCU Band

The CAA (and a lot of conferences) have rules about when a band can play (so they don't distract opposing teams, etc.) - but they usually only come about when that conference has a band that is large enough to distract a team (i.e. - JMU, UMass, UD).

Since NCCentral is an independent, they probably don't have a rule like that at their place. (And since I wasn't there, I didn't see how big their group was anyway.) Someone from JMU should've told them what the rule was (although, since we won in such a dominating fashion, I don't think it mattered).
    2012 College Football Champions:
    NAIA - Marian University
    DIII - Mount Union
    DII - Valdosta State
    D I-AA - NDSU
    D I-A - NONE

"It's a hostile environment," he said. "Even the band will cuss at you. It's classic, we're warming up and that band is just cursing at us and my guys are looking like, ‘This is the band,'" and I said, ‘Yeah, just wait until you play the team.'"

-UDel football coach K.C. Keeler on playing at JMU

I think this is a HBCU this as well, I was watching 5 minutes of a game between two HBCU teams, and the bands never shut up. I find it annoying as well, it becomes mindless noise after a while.. I will give them props for entertaining halftime shows though,much different than JMU, but still entertaining nonetheless...

Yeah. I'm pretty sure it can be attributed as an HBCU tradition. I'm sure others do it...but if you've ever seen Drumline you know that for most of those schools, the band is more important than the team on the field. I'm glad they brought the band...they were a lot of fun to listen to (did get annoying at times) but it was entertaining me.

Their dance team was awesome too. I kept wanting to emulate their moves (probably the alcohol in me)

Quote Originally Posted by JmuSkinsFan
    Yeah. I'm pretty sure it can be attributed as an HBCU tradition. I'm sure others do it...but if you've ever seen Drumline you know that for most of those schools, the band is more important than the team on the field. I'm glad they brought the band...they were a lot of fun to listen to (did get annoying at times) but it was entertaining me.

Their dance team was awesome too. I kept wanting to emulate their moves (probably the alcohol in me)
    Ditto to what a lot of others have already said. I appreciated their band coming, and their talents. However I was annoyed a few times when they constantly played (during plays, etc). Also I noticed at least one occasion where they started playing while the MRD's were in the middle of a song during a break in the action, that I thought was very rude. If you come to our house, I think respecting the home team's band is in order.
    Just keep monitoring...
    We Are The Dukes Of JMU....

I really liked the song/chant that started sometime toward the end of the third quarter and lasted for a long time. . . then started again.

A band that plays when (or while) a team is at the line of scrimmage should been told (politely) that's simply not kosher and to knock it off. However, the idea that a band's place is to play only before kickoff, at halftime and after the game's finished is, to put it mildly, completely silly. Obviously some of the posters on here haven't attended a BCS game (or have forgotten) that it's quite typical that BOTH bands (and big ones too, like the Texas and USC bands) play CONSTANTLY, except when either team is at the line of scrimmage. Then again, except for the MRDs, you're not gonna find a quality, big college marching band around here to help me make my point. Certainly the ACC schools bands are pathetic, and do not compare to the SEC, PAC Ten, Big Ten and Big XII venues for "noise" made during the game by their bands.

Personally, I really appreciated NCCU bringing their band. I wish more schools would do the same. Their playing while our team was at the line of scrimmage was a no-no, but otherwise the points made earlier about the NCCU band and dance team were well made.

What I find most annoying is the S-I-L-E-N-C-E emanating from the MRDs after halftime. At the very least the MRDs could play a flourish after a first down (followed by the now semi-traditional "That's another JMU FIRST DOWN")... or play something after a JMU TD or FG by the Dukes. Anything...something...to coordinate with the cheer team and student section.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHYqg...eature=related

"Don't be an idiot son, I can't coach idiots" ~Mickey Matthews

Its all about the band in too many HBC setups.
    They were enjoyable to watch - their energy level and what not. AT FIRST
    Aggree it got damn old after a while.
    Also very disappointed in the MRDs last night. Far too quiet during way too much of the game.
    Think they were wrapped up in watching the never ending drumline sway?
    If you listened carefully, they had a constant muddled drumline sound over more muffled horns. Didnot really impress me as far as their musical ability went.
    Don't know why JMU did not just tell 'em to can it after a while.
    MRDs seemed to have a short halftime show I guess due to splitting field time with them. After all that to give them the fiedl after the game was more than we needed to do.
    We might keep more of OUR students in the stands in the second half when they know the MRDs will be playing after the game - not a visiting band. :?
    I'm prepared for the next Bourne and co bid fail. Are you?
    We are the eternal road warriors!

Quote Originally Posted by MidloDuke
    We might keep more of OUR students in the stands in the second half when they know the MRDs will be playing after the game - not a visiting band. :?
    I hate to tell you, but most of the students leave at the end of the game unless they have friends in the band. We didnt know they were even playing after the game until about 4 mins left when they started walking around the field. We will keep more of our students in the stands when the game is more interesting and not a blow out.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdog231x
    BTW, you can have the #1 conference sticker.

Not quoting anyone, but WOW those guys were awesome. The sound quality was great; I've never heard a band of 200 produce such big sound, especially the tubas. And I've got 475 MRDs to back me up; it's the first opposing band I've ever seen us cheer. It may be obvious to some, but the show they do takes serious stamina. It's one thing to march/run around like that, but putting out that much air gasses you.

As long as the team is going up against D2 talent, I don't care if the band plays when our O is on the field.