HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Why does ACC football suck?

After watching this weekend, I'm convinced that the ACC does not deserve to be represented in a BCS game. The larger question is why they suck. If you ask me, I think they have the worst coaches of any major D-1 conference. How else can you explain Wake Forest being the standard bearer of your league? Other than Grobe, no one does less with more than this collection of also-rans. What's really the shame of it is that these sub-par coaches are measured largely against each other, so each year their bar is set substantially lower than everyone else's. If you put Skip Holtz, Pat Hill, Chris Petersen, or any of a number of young coaches in a majority of these positions, I think the conference would be much better all around.

Default Re: Why does ACC football suck?

yes, they deserve to be in the BCS. Let's not overreact.

The ACC is way down this year. But decisions about who is part of the BCS is not done on an annual basis.

When Miami and Florida State reload, and everyone knows they will, then there will be no more of this nonsense talk about the ACC not deserving to be in the BCS.

Hey, they deserve to be in the BCS because they have the leverage to team up with the other conferences and be there. But it's not like the ACC has ever really been a power football conference. They imported Florida St and Miami (and Va Tech as well) because the traditional ACC was never a football giant. And why will Fla St and Miami inevitably reload? I think they'll be good, but there's no guarantee those teams will ever be the national champs they once were. Miami won't go the felon road anymore since they got so close to the NCAA death penalty, and Florida St hasn't been great for almost a decade now. And you can argue that being in the ACC is starting to drag them down.

Fact of the matter is, the ACC will always be the minor leagues when compared to the SEC, and the ACC has the geographical misfortune to be in the same vicinity as the SEC.

But hey, the ACC has basketball. Well, more correctly, they have Duke and UNC. 8)
    Proud Member of the Fightin' Blue Hen Nation!!!

You also have to consider USF's rise and Florida's prominence as well...Both those teams are sucking recruits away from Miami and FSU. This year the only real legitimate top conferences are the SEC, PAC-10 and Big 12. The Big East only has WVU contending this year and the Big-10, like always, is overrated.

I think you also have to ignore the rankings when you evaluate the ACC. Obviously, Tech didn't deserve to be ranked and Clemson should have probably been lower or not ranked at all. I think people focus too much on these stupid rankings that often don't hold up when games are actually played.
    GO TRIBE

ACC football does suck.
    They brought Miami, Va Tech, BC in and ya know what,, they did well, but have learned to play down to the opponents.

For that matter, East coast football sucks lately. Fla and Ga can sometimes represent, but as a whole, from Maine to Fla, the football sucks.

Hmm, yep. ACC sucks. They should disband the conference after one week. Let's make all the teams independent.

Gimme a friggin' break. Florida State has won two national championships since joining the ACC ('93, '99), Miami (yes imported from the Big East) has played in a national championship as few as 6 years ago. Clemson never plays big in big games under Tommy Bowden. North Carolina is a bowl bound team this year. Boston College is a very solid team that had a #1 overall pick last year in the NFL draft.

Let me know how bad the ACC is after this week when you have Wake beat Ole Miss (SEC dominance!), Duke winning a game (Yep, Duke!) Maryland knocking off MTSU and Miami scaring the absolutely crap out of Florida.

You had me until you used NC being a "bowl bound" team as part of your argument. CAA teams could be bowl eligible playing 3 patsies and the bottom half of the ACC. Just by justifying a team as being decent because they are bowl eligible throws any credibility out the window.

Well, they will play in a bowl. That's the great thing about a BCS conference. Bowl tie-ins. North Carolina is better than Duke, Maryland and NC State and if they finish with 6 or more wins. Bowl bound.

No worries! I'm just excited that my 'Noles will be rising again this year.

The beauty of playing in a bowl? The beauty of playing in a bowl that is not a BCS bowl is that there is a good chance the rest of the country will look at your program as a joke if you make a bowl with 6 wins. Contrary to what many FBS proponents like to believe, the general public finds the bowl season and the teams involved in it worthless for the most part.

How many times do you seriously look at a school that makes a bowl with 6 wins and then say hey, they must have had a great(or even decent) season? UD finishes with 6 wins and the season is looked at as a failure if not a total disaster. I guess thats the difference between being a well established program in FCS and being a never will be in the FBS world.

Hey guys, we beat Duke, MD, UNC, a 1AA, and 2 MAC schools... we're going to the post season!

But I ultimately view non-BCS bowls for what they really are:

-Money making avenues for schools. At the low end (PapaJohns.com Bowl) the payout is $300,000
    -Exposure for your program. Just because you guys don't think it's relevant the national viewers disagree.
    -Extra practice time for the coaches. This is why there will never be a playoff. It is invaluable to have another dozen or so practices in December to work with your team or learn new systems when coaches leave.
    -An incentive for the players. They receive gifts, star treatment away from home and get to travel out of their regional area. Here is link to the gifts that players get at each bowl: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=320261
    -An opportunity for your fanbase to travel to a city not on their schedule and to see their team one more time.

This ultimately is the difference between the FBS mentality and the FCS mentality. It's a business, man.