JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kendrick Warren

1. Default Kendrick Warren

The video highlights for Kendrick Warren is posted on the VCU sport website. I just wondering what was everyone's memory of Kendrick Warren. He was a little bit before my time so I am eager to know more about his play at VCU.

While I was in high school in the early 90's I remembered going to see VCU play at GMU, having no idea I will be an alum and fan of VCU one day. In that game VCU scored over 100 points and won by 20+. Kendrick Warren dropped 40 +. I also recalled during my time in high school VCU being on national TV for a regular season game. CBS highlighted Kendrick Warren and debated if he was good enough for the NBA.

The first question that I have is why he never made it to the NBA?

I always heard he is our biggest name recruit to date?

It is my understanding he could play both power and small forward positions... is this true?

Default Re: Kendrick Warren

Definitely knew how to finish.

But what was up with those black shirts and white shorts? Who came up with that look? :shock:

He couldnt make a free throw to save his life. :cry:
    Flagship baby, flagship.

in the early 90's I remembered going to see VCU play at GMU, having no idea I will be an alum and fan of VCU one day. In that game VCU scored over 100 points and won by 20+. Kendrick Warren dropped 40 +.
    Kendrick's highest scoring game in his career was 32 vs Illinois State in '91. Versus GMU in Dec '93, Tyron McCoy rung up 40.

We talk about the athleticism of VCU - Kendrick is part of that legacy. Tremendous leaper, rebounder and open court player. Continual highlight video material. Minimal outside shot and everyone knows about the charity stripe. Sonny used to get mad at Kendrick and tell him he'd have to get his points off the boards vs off a pass (i.e., we aint' gonna pass you the ball). So that's what Kendrick would do.
    Ram Tough

There can be little debate Special K was the most highly-rated player - at least in regard to physical talent - to ever cast his lot with the Black & Gold. It was a shaky academic resume that enabled the Rams (with assistant coach Eddie Webb as lead recruiter) to snag the Thomas Jefferson High great.

Many backed off, feeling he would not qualify. Perhaps only Webb and Kendrick know the whole story - and I doubt they're telling.

A distant second in terms of prep ratings might be Calvin Duncan, who came VCU's way after first inking with Jacksonville and then changing his mind when the Dolphins' coach resigned/got fired.

Going way, way back, Jesse Dark, Bernard Harris and Greg McDougald would have been in Warren's class, regarding baskability, but that was before VCU had to adhere to any Division I guidelines - or really any guidelines at all.

Warren's inability to connect at the foul line - and the team's inability to win big during his four years - smudges his legacy.

However, consider this: Warren went to the line 624 times, by far the most of anyone in Rams' history (despite missing 10 games as junior). He hit an even 50% - 312-624. His worst year at the line was as a senior, when he was 93-195, 48%.

Overall, he averaged 17.5 points, 9.9 rebounds and hit .532 from the field, over four seasons, with 193 blocked shots, 204 assists and 148 steals for good measure.

If Eric Maynor is to catch Warren (1,858 points) as VCU's all-time scorer, it will be because he plays the equivalent of almost a whole extra season.

6. Default Re: Kendrick Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Big Horn
    There can be little debate Special K was the most highly-rated player - at least in regard to physical talent - to ever cast his lot with the Black & Gold. It was a shaky academic resume that enabled the Rams (with assistant coach Eddie Webb as lead recruiter) to snag the Thomas Jefferson High great.

Many backed off, feeling he would not qualify. Perhaps only Webb and Kendrick know the whole story - and I doubt they're telling.

A distant second in terms of prep ratings might be Calvin Duncan, who came VCU's way after first inking with Jacksonville and then changing his mind when the Dolphins' coach resigned/got fired.

Going way, way back, Jesse Dark, Bernard Harris and Greg McDougald would have been in Warren's class, regarding baskability, but that was before VCU had to adhere to any Division I guidelines - or really any guidelines at all.

Warren's inability to connect at the foul line - and the team's inability to win big during his four years - smudges his legacy.

However, consider this: Warren went to the line 624 times, by far the most of anyone in Rams' history (despite missing 10 games as junior). He hit an even 50% - 312-624. His worst year at the line was as a senior, when he was 93-195, 48%.

Overall, he averaged 17.5 points, 9.9 rebounds and hit .532 from the field, over four seasons, with 193 blocked shots, 204 assists and 148 steals for good measure.

If Eric Maynor is to catch Warren (1,858 points) as VCU's all-time scorer, it will be because he plays the equivalent of almost a whole extra season.
    So was he a power forward? I would not blame Warren for not winning enough... That's on Sonny Smith, he could done a better job getting more guys like Warren.

He was very explosive and usually put on a great show.

Probably the best team during his days with the Rams was his junior year. Kendrick, however, suffered a season ending foot injury and the Rams were without him when they made their run to the Metro tournament final.

Sherron Mills really came on late in the season and actually got drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA draft. The following year Kendrick went undrafted, although he made alot of mock draft lists. I remember him being included in an article down here about the top players at each position in the draft that year. I think explosive was the word they used too.
    Congrats to ODU - ONE CAA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME APPEARANCE SINCE THE TURN OF THE CENTURY

Warren did go to the LA Lakers to try out in one pre-season if I remember correctly. Sonny Smith was friends with Jerry West and got him in for a try out.

If Nice Mike could finish like Warren did, he would have had a much more memorable career.
    "The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to preserve our freedom." General Russell E. Dougherty

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde

Warren did go to the LA Lakers to try out in one pre-season if I remember correctly. Sonny Smith was friends with Jerry West and got him in for a try out.

If Nice Mike could finish like Warren did, he would have had a much more memorable career.
    "The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to preserve our freedom." General Russell E. Dougherty

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde

I was kinda thinking the same thing, just didn't want to say it.

One thing you notice from the video, Warren could finish in traffic, on the break, with defense in his face, didn't matter. Didn't just do it off alley opps.

Quote Originally Posted by ramathon74