HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Women's Tennis Recuit - #1 ranked recuit in VA

Kristin Nimitz of Deep Run H.S. (West End of Richmond)

Per TennisRecuiting.net:

http://tennisrecruiting.net/player/over ... ?id=109497

I knew her from my church in Richmond before I moved to Arlington. I am good friends with her coach, Mike Kalafatis, who also went to JMU but didn't play tennis for the team. He was on the Godwin H.S. VA State Championship team back in the 90's when we were in H.S.

She is a great pickup for the Lady Dukes on the tennis courts and she'll give plenty of girls in the CAA fits. I know this is slightly old news since she committed in the fall, but I figured great news in an obscure sport is always worth mentioning again. She chose JMU over UR and VT.
    "I just know they're our 12th man... I wouldn't trade them for anybody. I love our fans." - Rodney Landers

#1 in the state is good, but the better indicator is the MATA(mid Atlantic) ranking.

Attention , Warning Thread Jacking......

Are there ANY plans to beef up our tennis facilities...for D1 Tennis its embarrasing, I'm surprised we can recruit people to come play on courts that look like the local pool.

I remember my freshman year JMU lost its bid to host a tournament they had hosted for years because the sponsors were embarrased about the condition of our courts...can't remember the details though.

I've known her since we were kids. I know she's a great tennis player, but I don't really know how great is great for tennis. I can tell you she won the high school singles title last year. She'll certainly do more good for the program than bad.

I walked by a couple women's tennis matches while I was a student. I may have even stopped at one for about 5 minutes. Other than that, eh. We should've axed that with the other ten sports.
    FIRE BOURNE! FIRE KING!
    Is Kenny allowed to coach both the men's and the women's team?
    JMU Reprazent - Dawg Pound style!

(Disclaimer: The beliefs stated in my posts are my own and should not be attributed to any outside influence. Some might be posted under the influence, however...)

I walked by a couple women's tennis matches while I was a student. I may have even stopped at one for about 5 minutes. Other than that, eh. We should've axed that with the other ten sports.
    You looked at the girls, didn't you? Can't speak for current team, but normally some of the best looking girls on campus.
    I'm confused by her ranking. #1 in Virginia but only 31 in MATA.
    When I played Jr. tennis I was 21 in MATA but only about 10th best in Virginia.

She'd probably crush me so I'm not gloating.
    "The happy Union of these States is a wonder; their Constitution a miracle; their example the hope of Liberty throughout the world." -James Madison

i think with such specialization going on now, high school sports have taken a back seat to junior circuits and the such. I know that I work at a country club and some of the top players dont play high school because the competition is so lacking. That could definitely be the reason shes ranked so high in VA but not so much in the Mid-Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by cap'n kitt
    You looked at the girls, didn't you?
    I think I was usually on my way to/from class when I walked by. I just can't get into tennis, though. I used to play but watching is less exciting to me than sitting and staring at a blank wall.

The lacrosse and gymnastics and field hockey and soccer girls were the ones I really enjoyed watching.
    FIRE BOURNE! FIRE KING!
    Is Kenny allowed to coach both the men's and the women's team?
    JMU Reprazent - Dawg Pound style!

(Disclaimer: The beliefs stated in my posts are my own and should not be attributed to any outside influence. Some might be posted under the influence, however...)

Quote Originally Posted by ikenberry203
    i think with such specialization going on now, high school sports have taken a back seat to junior circuits and the such. I know that I work at a country club and some of the top players dont play high school because the competition is so lacking. That could definitely be the reason shes ranked so high in VA but not so much in the Mid-Atlantic
    Yeah, I think you are 100% correct on that assessment. In any event, she's still a great addition to the team. Also, I may have mispoke, she signed a LOI, but couldn't commit until this past week. I assume she will or has already.

As far as tennis facilities, you are right. They're horrible for a DI program. Even worse when compared to other CAA school in the state like VCU. Of course, the VCU men often contend for the national title.

I think we'll see men's tennis dratically improve following the recent sports cuts. But no one really cares, of course. :roll: Any success in any sport will continue to improve the name of JMU among people around the state and the country.
    "I just know they're our 12th man... I wouldn't trade them for anybody. I love our fans." - Rodney Landers

Her sister is playing tennis at UVA. Mother went to UVA and Dad went to JMU. Father is a fraternity brother. Very good family. Nice to see her decide to attend JMU. Hope she has a great career there.