JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question from CAA media day...

Not to slight you Seahawks fans, because I respect you and all -

but how in the hell did John Goldsberry get voted on to the CAA second team? Maybe I missed something...

He seems very solid, very steady - but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would get that kind of love from the media - his game has no sex appeal!
    JMU Football - dadgum good.

That's why when I posted the media day article up here, I put question marks beside his name......out of all the other options, HE was chosen? vs. Nick George? vs. ALEX LOUGHTON? vs. Dwayne Broyles? Did yall see the stat they put up? OOO, he leads all UNC-W FRESHMEN in assists all-time!! YAY! While the others on the 2nd team led in points and rebounds. He really has his water set for testing this year.....

No friggin way. Nice player, but not one of the league's ten best.
    ODU, the CAA's flagship.
    The most NCAA and NIT appearances in the CAA.
    You may be in our conference, but you're not in our league.

You are right. JG has not proven to be a top ten player for the up-coming season. But, neither have any of the other nine players. Not a one has done anything this year to make first or second team. That's why they pick again at the end of the year. This preseason team crap proves nada.

I will say, I have followed UNCW bb for thirty years or more. I've seen many players come and go, and very few have had the heart of John Goldsberry. Last year he was very instrumental in the success of this team, especially down the stretch. I have not seen many freshmen handle the pressure he was thrown into. Due to injuries and Burnette's off court troubles, JG had to step up as our point guard. What he did setting up play, taking on full court pressure and diving for loose balls doesn't show up on the stats. He calmly set up our offense. Blizzard and Callahan may have been our go to guys, but John was our glue. Maybe the media saw that. I don't know. And I really don't care, because second team preseason doesn't put a single game in the win column for us. 8)
    SHUT UP AND PLAY!!!!

A.K.A. 33Talons

The media can only go by what they see and I'm sure that the NCAA game had a little to do with it. I will tell you that John has slimmed down some and is quicker/more athletic than he was last year. A 2nd team selection for a guy that is without question a >40% plus 3-ball shooter, fantastic ball-handler, excellent passer and a great defender without being "flashy" on a good NCAA team isn't that unrealistic to me. I mean, all he did as a freshman was shoot 43 or 44% (don't remember which) from 3, set an NCAA record for consectutive 3's, was like 6th in steals, and led the conference with a 3 to 1 assist/TO ratio. This is only pre-season rating and means nothing at this point so I wouldn't sweat it fellas. As 33 said, it doesn't help us win one game and at UNCW, winning or losing as a "team" is everything. That's the UNCW way.
    A decade of excellence...
    1998 NIT
    2000 NCAA
    2001 NIT
    2002 NCAA & Baseball 2003 NCAA
    2003 NCAA & Baseball 2004 NCAA
    2006 NCAA & Baseball 2006 NCAA
    2008 NCAA Baseball

Bill,

Nice post and I agree pre season stuff means squat. Your comment about the team way is the UNCW way sounds like ur the only team out there with unselfish players..I have a feeling most teams in the conference play "team" ball.

The topic was Goldsberry, who is relative to UNCW and team ball. We did not say no other team in the CAA played as a team. We were addressing our team only. We were not trying to punk any other CAA team. 8)
    SHUT UP AND PLAY!!!!

A.K.A. 33Talons

Seahawk..I had a feelling Bill meant no smack towards other teams with hi spost..its not his style.....it's hard to pick up meaning from messages boards at time..its just how it seemed when I first read it..no worries.

I'd say JMU doesn't play "team" ball a lot - I'll admit it :P
    JMU Football - dadgum good.

Sec. 3, Row E, Seat 8 - Since the beginning!

It's just a pre-season writers poll - which means there is a lot to go to make any predictions happen. But I think that with the stats that Bill quoted and the fact that JG had 106 assists last year (conf. record for a freshman?) it was an easy "pre-season" pick for the press. But I think we all know that the second time around (sophomore year) is always a little tougher. We shall see, what we shall see!
    Ocean-Raptor-Ventilator