HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default GAME #17: GSU VS NORTHEASTERN

I could be one of two or three NU alumni/friends of the program going down to the game against the Panthers on Thursday night.

I apologize if I posted this before, but I can't remember where/if I did.

I'm going to plead traveler's ignorance here. I've been to Atlanta a ton in my work career, and the only recognition of GSU I've ever remembered is the "former" Olympic Village near Georgia Tech.

I'm staying either at the Westin in Peachtree Plaza or the Sheraton Midtown at Colony Square (it's on 14th Street NE) - whichever is closest to GSU (I have reservations at both.

Couple of questions....

1. What's the closest Marta stop to the Westin or the Sheraton?

2. How do I get from either hotel to GSU?

3. If there's a Starwood hotel (Sheraton, Westin, W) closer to campus, can you please let me know what it is?

Thanks in advance to y'all. Not sure if there's a place GSU fans congregate before the game, but if there is, please let me know and I'll be glad to buy a pre-game round.
    Parsons Field.. be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.

"Congrats to GMU.... I'll never be able to make fun of the CAA any more."
    - MaineJeff, March 24, 2006.

We're going to hold you to it, MJ.

I'm in a hurry now so I'll answer what I can. MARTA station near Sheraton Colony Square is Arts Center and station near Peachtree Center Westin is indeed Peachtree Center. Take trains south to Five Points. Connect there one level up to the East Line and get off at the next station - Georgia State. Exit GSU station onto Piedmont Avenue. Come out and go right and cross street. GSU Sports Arena is on your left. Take first left on Decatur St and enter front entrance of Sports Arena. Believe it or not, you have to go to the third floor for the basketball floor. Sorry, we do not have an organist.

I would stay at the Westin. It's an older hotel by Atlanta standards, but I like it. Plus at the Westin, you are less than a mile from GSU. Plus you are practically on top of a MARTA stop. That being said, I wouldn't even take MARTA. You're actually close enough to walk if you don't mind 5 or 6 blocks, but I'd just jump in a cab. Probably cost $2 bucks, tip a buck and your there in 2 minutes.
    Also, the nightlife has improved and active at Underground (bar scene located outside the Five Points stations). Its only a couple of blocks from the arena.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice. Westin it is, and I can walk to the game - perfect. I've stayed there before, and for what I'm doing, it's sufficient. I also think it's walking distance to my firm's Atlanta office for Friday.

Looking forward to the game!

I've been to the Underground before, so now at least I have my geographical bearings of where GSU is.

Quote Originally Posted by NU Hoop Fan
    Thanks for the advice. Westin it is, and I can walk to the game - perfect. I've stayed there before, and for what I'm doing, it's sufficient. I also think it's walking distance to my firm's Atlanta office for Friday.

Looking forward to the game!

I've been to the Underground before, so now at least I have my geographical bearings of where GSU is.
    Plus NUHF the Westin has a fantastic rotating rooftop lounge that's really stylish and has a great atmosphere.

You can have a few drinks to celebrate a NU win!

Just messin' with you GSU posters.

Default Re: GAME #17: GSU VS NORTHEASTERN

Quote Originally Posted by NU Hoop Fan
    Not sure if there's a place GSU fans congregate before the game, but if there is, please let me know and I'll be glad to buy a pre-game round.
    Gosh, I'm not aware of much regarding a watering hole hangout. We're just lucky to get people to our games. I will warn you - the crowd will be tiny but that means you'll have great seats and be close to the action. We reserve seats behind visiting benches for folks like you. I know there was some tailgating earlier before MBB games somewhere on campus but I don't know if that's ongoing.

Timbo Guest

Well, this should be yet another tough game for the Panthers.....1st half will probably be close, 2nd half not so much....just a guess

Six Feet Under is relatively close by. The food is somewhat reasonable, and it's owned by a Ga. State guy. I know there are some Thrashers fans who go there before every game.

Six Feet Under is a cool place to hang out. Good food.
    Man...school is getting in the way of college.

I'll be the big guy sitting behind the NU bench.

I'll actually be at the game with a former NU assistant who now lives in the Greater Atlanta area - his claim to fame, he spent 5-7 years as a member of the Washington Generals, touring with the Harlem Globetrotters.

I'm spending the day in Atlanta on Friday and will likely be in Buckhead on Fri nite.