JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D1AA vs D1A ??

Default D1AA vs D1A ??

What are the main differences of a 1AA versus 1A program besides the obvious; stadium size, etc...

Does 1AA have players round-table for meals? etc... those kind of things.

Thanks for any info

Default D1AA vs D1A ??

In Div 1A the players all get Swedish massages with a happy ending.
    Succisa Virescit

Default D1AA vs D1A ??

He's neglected to tell me that part... I guess I'm on a need to know basis.

Default D1AA vs D1A ??

I know our team has "team meals" together on gamedays -- stuff like that. Don't know if the table is round or not

At I-AA schools, your kid will get an education -- they're not looking at the million dollar bonuses, stuff like that.

At a program that funds their football program to the max, you really don't lose a whole lot. Obviously, the BCS schools will have some more money with which to do certain things -- but it's not like we're hurting that bad at JMU. A brand new facility for weightlifting, academic support, and locker rooms was just opened this past year.
    JMU Football - dadgum good.

Default D1AA vs D1A ??

YES!!! Especially Dads!!!

In Div 1AA Dads have to wash the coaches car.
    Succisa Virescit

Default D1AA vs D1A ??

D-1 offers 85 scholarships
    D-1AA offers 63 scholarships

Just by the numbers, there is more competition to get playing time at a D-1 school. That 's why you see many kids leave D-1 schools every year and transfer to a D-1AA. They are looking for playing time.

As far as the athletes, the main difference is size. Good 1-AA programs have equivalent speed at the skill positions, but usually not equivalent size across the board.
    i.e. D-1 WR 6'1" 200 lb 4.4 40 yd
    1-AA WR 5'10" 180lb 4.4 40 yd

Linebackers might be 225 lbs instead of 240.

Most D-1 O-lines are 300+ all the way across. Very few 1-AA lines are 300+ all the way across.

Oh, another big difference. 1-AA schools rarely, if ever, make the NCAA bad list for rules violations. You don't have the sleazy element that surrounds some big time football programs who seem to bow down to the almighty dollar.
    The best ability is dependability.

Default D1AA vs D1A ??

And I don't even wash my own car...great !

Default D1AA vs D1A ??

Visitor:

1A schools offer 85 scholarships and 1AA 63. The top 10 1AA schools would be very comparable to teams #30-50 in 1A. 1A teams rated above #60 are not much different from the top 20-50 in 1AA. Many of them are former 1AA schools having made the jump.

Plenty of speed in 1AA. RB, DB, WR & QB not much difference. LB's have similar speed but 1A's pack about 20-30 more pounds. Biggest difference is on the offensive and defensive lines. Good 1AA schools will have good starting lines and some 300 lbs. Big drop off when they have to go to the bench. 1A's seem to be able to go 2 or 3 deep. This is why you will see good 1AA schools keep it close until the third quarter against 1A programs. The 1A's will platoon their players and will be fresher in the 3rd & 4th quarters.

If your son is considering a high level 1AA compared to a mid-low level 1A, he should take a real good look at 1AA. In 1AA, he will get a chance to play for a national championship. In non-BCS 1A, the most he can hope for is some obscure bowl game.

The top 1AA programs have excellent strength training programs and good coaches. I also feel 1AA programs are more committed to academics than the overwhelming majority of 1A programs. Thus most of the schools have the athletes fully integrated with the student body. They eat, live and go to classes with non student-athletes. I feel this gives the student athlete a true college experience.

If your son is comparing 1A to 1AA, I am guessing he is not being offered by the high level 1A programs. He should then look real hard at academics because playing on Sunday is not likely to be in his future. If he truly has the talent to play on Sundays, the scouts will find him. The NFL has a lot of former 1AA players. Culpepper, Moss, Westbrook, Azumah, McNair, Warner, Rice and the list goes on from there.

I have been watching 1AA football for over 20 years now. It is true division 1 football for the scholarship programs. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

On the farm in Montross, Va - but left some parts in the 'burg ---- mostly, my mind.

Default 1A vs 1AA

Quote Originally Posted by magnolialeague
    YES!!! Especially Dads!!!

In Div 1AA Dads have to wash the coaches car.
    Thanks God the coach's cars are usually much smaller in 1AA!!

I ditto what Dukie just cited!!!
    "How come everything you own is JMU purple?"... my wife - 8/19/05.

Default D1AA vs D1A ??

More cowbell!