JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ODU ranked #32

Default ODU ranked #32

Great post, fmrick. It only behooves the entire conference if we have several teams in the mix and peaking at the end of the season. Last year, ODU ran away from the pack, almost slipped up in the CAA final and then lost in the first round. I'm sure the perception around the country was that we are a mediocre conference if the frontrunner almost lost in its own tourney and then didn't advance in the NCAA tournament. Add in the fact that we didn't win one NIT game, and it comes across as a less-than-stellar year for the CAA even though we had so many teams in the postseason.

We need to win at least one game in the NCAA tournament and also have a couple of teams advance in the NIT (or at least have one team make a run like Mason did two years ago). That's the only way we are going to distance the CAA from all of the other middle-tiered conferences out there.
    It pains me to say it, but I'd have to make GMU my favorite going into next season.
    --Heywood Jablomi, ODU fan

Default ODU ranked #32

Yes, the same collegehoops.net that said Drexel had too much firepower for the rest of the CAA last year. The same collegehoops.net who had no CAA teams in its Top 144 last year other than Drexel. The same collegehoops.net who only 2-3 weeks ago did a write up on us featuring Eric Whitehurst. I'm sure they've put a lot of hard work into their rankings. :roll: :roll: Actually, it would probably be more credible if the ODU SID did the write-up. At least he's seen you guys play.
    YOUR VCU RAMS . . . PROVIN' IT ON THE FLOOR

Default ODU ranked #32

Tom,

I disagree with your comment on our conference's "perception" from around the country.

Sure we all lost in the first round, but for us, as a mid-major conference, to place multiple teams in post season play someone out there must think we're more than mediocre.

If we don't place at least as many schools in post season play this year, then your comment will be valid.

I just hope we all make a lot of OOC noise this year before we begin slaughtering each other.
    Theres no place as beautiful as Virginia,
    and when my time comes to die;
    just take me back and let me lie;
    close to where the James goes rolling by,
    in Virginia!

Default ODU ranked #32

Quote Originally Posted by scottyward
    Tom,

I disagree with your comment on our conference's "perception" from around the country. Sure we all lost in the first round, but for us, as a mid-major conference, to place multiple teams in post season play someone out there must think we're more than mediocre.

If we don't place at least as many schools in post season play this year, then your comment will be valid.
    Scotty, maybe it is a little early to sound the alarms, but we will never be considered a great conference if we don't start making some noise in the postseason. Qualifying several teams and playing close games just won't cut it much longer. Look how much great press we got when UNCW won a game a few years ago. If ODU is the juggernaut that most people believe them to be, they need to advance this year -- not just for them but for all of us.
    It pains me to say it, but I'd have to make GMU my favorite going into next season.

Default ODU ranked #32

I hear you and agree Tom.

I sincerely think if we (CAA Teams) do well in the early OOC games, that we'll put multiple teams in the post season again.
    Theres no place as beautiful as Virginia,
    and when my time comes to die;
    just take me back and let me lie;
    close to where the James goes rolling by,
    in Virginia!

Default ODU ranked #32

Last summer I spent a lot of time talking to people in the west coast and midwest about the CAA (mostly trading schedules, giving them a dose of what to expect). They all, every one of them, respected the CAA as one of the top mid-major leagues. Not THE top, but one of the top. I would say the most common compliment we get as a league is "your league, even though a mid-major, may be the toughest night in and night out during conference play."

They understand how tough it is to win. BUT, that doesn't excuse us from not winning big games in the OOC. We HAVE to do that to get respect late in the year....point blank.

------------------------------------

Here, I will say it. I think that VCU may be the luckiest team in the league next year come conference play. VCU does not have to play a second game vs. Hofstra, Drexel, Northeastern (a team who we would probably split with normally), or Delaware. These are all teams we normally would split with (except Delaware recently). That gives us an advantage.........

ODU does not have to play NU, Delaware, UNCW, or Towson twice. That TU game is a loss of a win. ODU has beaten UNCW something like 6 straight, so that may be a loss of a win. Home game vs. UD would be a win........NU away is a good one to avoid

In saying that, I am just looking at the layout of VCU's schedule. VCU averages 1 conference loss at home a year. I think we could go undefeated at home this year in conference (9-0). VCU is one of the top road teams in the league (I want to say the top) according to trends over the last few years. A 5-4 record WITHOUT having to play at Hofstra or at Drexel is not out of the question. That would give us a 14-4 record.........those 5 road wins? Could be @W&M, @JMU, @Towson, @Georgia State, @Delaware........those are teams picked by most in the bottom of the league.

THAT'S A GREAT $&* SCHEME OF SCHEDULING............

Bottom line is this: In a league that is said to be facing its most competitive season yet, a 14-4 record could WIN the regular season title........especially with VCU avoiding THREE games vs. teams who they normally split with.

I think VCU just jumped one in my preseason poll. The more I think about it. Who moves down? HU or NU? I would have to go with HU (just for scheduling purposes). HU loses that extra easier game vs. JMU, W&M.......they will be in dogfights all season. NU, lucky NU, losses that second game vs. UNCW, VCU, and ODU.

I wouldn't be surprised if ODU, NU, and VCU (or a combination of two of them) split the regular-season title. I am calling it here.

Default ODU ranked #32

If you beat UNCW, Drexel, Hofstra, GMU, and ODU at home that would be impressive and you would have a great
    chance to win of share the regular season title.

Somebody has to call you on it, kinda like poker I guess.

VCU will not win or share the regular season CAA championship. JMO.

Default ODU ranked #32

We beat all but 1 of those at home last year, losing to Drexel on a miracle buzzer beater by Bashir Mason from 30 feet.

I would say I am not out of terms predicting that VCU could (and should) go undefeated at home vs:

Teams (2005 result)

Hofstra (won by 12)
    Georgia St (DNP)
    Drexel (lost at buzzer by 2)
    W&M (won by 22)
    JMU (lost this one..crazy; went on to beat them @JMU by 27 4 days later)
    Towson (won by 23)
    George Mason (won by 8)
    ODU (won by 4)
    UNCW (won by 1 in OT....most thrilling regular season game in CAA 2005)

So, even though I appreciate your call, VCU does not get scared when ANYONE visits our house. OUR WINNING PERCENTAGE AT HOME IS TOP 25 IN DI HOME COURT RECORDS

ODU is ranked, too. At #81, tied with Iona. Drexel is right behind you at #83.

So, again, it's not unreasonable for me to think that it is possible for VCU to go undefeated at home when they have the #22 best home court advantage in the nation...................

Default ODU ranked #32

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Reaper
    I wouldn't be surprised if ODU, NU, and VCU (or a combination of two of them) split the regular-season title. I am calling it here.
    Reaper, how can you claim to be a member of the media when you are so damn biased? Stop drinking the Kool-Aid in Richmond, and learn to be objective. I actually laughed out loud when you said that VCU jumped up another slot in your projections. And now you have them winning the regular-season title?!

Stop the presses, folks! A VCU fan is picking his team to finish high in the standings! :roll:

Default ODU ranked #32

Let the season begin! You never know, there could be a 5 way tie for first. :shock: