HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Midnight Madness

Not to pour gasoline on the fire but SBU sets another attendance record with 11224 for their football game against Bryant University today.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most!

Quote Originally Posted by HofstraHockey View Post
    No, they couldn't, because the Hofstra students never cared about football. Bash Rabinowitz all you want, but why wasn't it like that during the Gardi/ Shuart days, either?

And if you're bringing your kids out to hang out at a party at Hofstra that goes past midnight on a Wednesday, you're either the best or the worst parent ever. I'm not sure which.
    As I've said before, Shuart never cared about crowds but always supported athletics. I hold him somewhat culpable for laying the groundwork that Rabinowitz needed to kill football. But you're blind if you think student apathy was only directed at football, it permeated throughout the entire sports program. If we had an AD with some guts, the enthusiasm for sports could be much higher.

As for midnight madness, I don't have to have my kid out until midnight, but I can certainly enjoy the festivities beforehand. As a parent of three, sometimes sending a kid into school a little blurry eyed because of a great family moment the night before is priceless. So unless you have a kid, you don't know how nice it is to share those times.

Quote Originally Posted by stuball888 View Post
    Not to pour gasoline on the fire but SBU sets another attendance record with 11224 for their football game against Bryant University today.
    Wow, I knew it was jammed.

Right- nobody cared about athletics back then. At all. Football, basketball, anything. Now at least you get students out for basketball games. Some poor play has hurt that a bit, but that's like any New York sports fans- if you're good, they show up. See the Islanders game last night. All of a sudden, people care a little bit because they made the playoffs last year. In the Augdio/Stokes/Kieza days, students packed the place and went nuts. Behind both baskets at times. If JM gets this team together, and quick, they'll all be back. And you have a new AD in place. If you think he's going to bring back football, that's obviously not going to happen, but he can do his share to make it work.
    2002, 2005, and 2014 ECRHA Champions. twitter.com/HofstraHockey

Hofstra football could have done exactly the same thing Stony Brook is doing now with the right support and marketing....Stony Brook is being driven by former Hofstra student/athlete who has high aspirations for all of their programs and will not take no for an answer...he believes in something and will not let negativity become part of the process....build...build...build & then build some more is his thinking...Stony Brook University endorses this type of thinking as a whole, not just for athletics....do not be surprised if 8 years from now Stony Brook has expanded their stadium and is getting crowds of about 20,000 or more

Gary the plans and money are in place to expand the stadium Asap. Gary you hit the nail on the head. It comes from the president of the university and filters down. SBu promotes not only their sports programs but the school as a whole.

ASAP? Like as long as it took them to do their arena? And they are a STATE school. They SHOULD have a big stadium. The fact that 11k is an accomplishment doesn't say much. The Cosmos got that a few weeks ago.

HH it doesnt matter, you and HHF2007 have done nothing but bash SBU and compare them to high school athletics. Funny but that was exactly what Delaware fans used to to say about us. Now that they are drawing for football which we can only dream about you say big deal. Remember it was you said when they start drawing 15,000 then talk to me about it. Well it looks like that can happen in the next few years. Even you said it takes time to build a fan base. Would you SBU has done that or will you bury your head in the sand like it doesnt exist.

Right. They didn't even get 3/4 of that for their biggest crowd ever. Do they have some fans out there? Sure, I guess so. Are they becoming a major power in football ever? Not even close. UMass can't get decent crowds, no way Stony Brook is. I don't dream about drawing people for football- I know that Hofstra never could or would compete at a true national level in football. And winning the FCS is still finishing in 200th-something place. You can't say it couldn't happen at Hofstra in basketball (which is where the focus is and should be) when two teams from the conference already did so.

HH...you refuse to give credit where credit is due...Stony Brook has come a long way in a relatively short period of time...they were D-III not too long ago. They continue to ramp up their programs every year and each year their support grows...wait till they start putting guys in the NFL like we used to do...yes, I realize we still have a few guys left in the NFL but once they are done it is unlikely there will be any more...