If you missed the coaching caravan the last couple of nights, shame on you. Great way to meet the AD, talk to coaches Wilder, Barefoot, Taylor and learn some of the realities of what's going on instead of the mindless speculation that appears here far too regularly under the guise of "conversation."
Just a couple of things learned the last few days:
1. ODU asked JMU and Delaware to approach CUSA together so as to form an larger eastern seaboard presence. The two schools declined.
2. There is no set plan for what to do with the stadium, though it is clear that there will not be a new stadium. rather, the university is engaged in an overall building and growth study, out of which plans will be made for stadium, parking etc.
3. Liberty Tax will be the title sponsor of the men's season-opening basketball tournament
4. Barefoot's recruiting class is going to be ranked in the top 40 (if it hasn't already)
5. Let's just say the recent CAA meetings were not cordial to any of our people
6. After spending weeks putting together material for Painter to submit to the NCAA for his exemption, the NCAA contacted ODU within the last day or 2 and asked for 5 more things -- by Tuesday
7. The game vs UVA will "probably" be the last ODU men's bball game ever in the Richmond Coliseum (drew huge applause). Pending CAA ruling, of course, but it's pretty clear what we think is going to happen.
8. CUSA officials came to ODU twice, each time landing plane late at night and leaving around dawn so no one knew they were there. After the second visit, they told Selig "you went from not even being on our radar to being at the top of our list. We had no idea what you had here."