HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: best of all time?

And Gio, in my mind, was overrated, so his flame-out as a pro was never a surprise to me.
    I never understood all the hype around Gio
    Are you serious??

The question was "best of all time" - though not an NFL player - Carmazzi was an absolute stud while at Hofstra:

In 1997 he passed for 3,554 yards and 27 touchdowns. He led the nation in total offense at 336.7 yards per game AND voted I-AA's offensive player of the year.

In 1998 he threw for 2,751 yards and 18 touchdowns.

In 1999 he threw for 3200 yards and 25 touchdowns.

He was also a National Football Foundation National Scholar-Athlete

You guys are unreal...

Quote Originally Posted by DutchAlum01 View Post
    Are you serious??

The question was "best of all time" - though not an NFL player - Carmazzi was an absolute stud while at Hofstra:

In 1997 he passed for 3,554 yards and 27 touchdowns. He led the nation in total offense at 336.7 yards per game AND voted I-AA's offensive player of the year.

You guys are unreal...
    i agree. pro #s shouldnt be taken into account at all. esp with the women part of this discussiuon.

For my time around Hofstra...since 1970 I would go with the following: Not nec in order: Claxton, Chrebet, Galatti, Gallo, Jenkins, Laurel, Shulters, Shanahan and in lacrosse Vin Sombrotto

Are you serious??

You guys are unreal...
    I'm definitely serious. When Joe Gardi spent every friggin' press conference calling him a "first round pick," I just sat there rolling my eyes. His best year was actually as a sophomore, and I thought he regressed after that. Even your stats bear that out. He did not have a strong arm (Rocky's was much stronger). I basically told everyone this guy will do nothing as a pro, and I was right.

Look, he was a good player, a great guy, and a scholar. But I was a scholar too. So what?

If you want a QB on the list how about Don Gault. Here are a few other names to consider
    - Bill Theiben
    - John Schmitt
    - John Irving

I can give you the fact that he may not be in your top 3 all time quarterbacks at Hofstra, but I'd argue the "over rated" label.

I can give you the fact that he may not be in your top 3 all time quarterbacks at Hofstra, but I'd argue the "over rated" label.
    I'm sure my "overrated" label comes from listening to Gardi fawn over him week after week. I'm guessing you weren't subjected to that.

whether I was there or not, which obviously I wasn't, has nothing to do with it.

gio was an amazing qb when in college at hofstra. that cant be disputed.

If I also remember he was a pretty good basketball player who could dunk. Wasnt he also the fastest in the 40 on that squad.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most!