JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football

Default Football

ESPN has been assaulting the sport of football for about a year with the concussions and it got worse last week with Junior Seau's news.

Now this nugget from the Wall Street Journal:

"Why College Football Should Be Banned"
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...style_newsreel

Have the elitists, who have been on a banning spree since the economy went to hell, made a decision to make football a target?

Default Re: Football

Quote Originally Posted by EverRespect View Post
    ESPN has been assaulting the sport of football for about a year with the concussions and it got worse last week with Junior Seau's news.

Now this nugget from the Wall Street Journal:

"Why College Football Should Be Banned"
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...style_newsreel

Have the elitists, who have been on a banning spree since the economy went to hell, made a decision to make football a target?
    There is no way to answer this without waxing political and I don't like giving xjohnx any openings.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\My Documents\My Pictures\old-dominion.button.png

lol, politicians want to get elected. Yeah. that's a good platform to run on. As your new President, I promise to put an end to college football. Banning college football is like taking away our 2nd Amendment Rights. Simply not gonna happen. Next.....
    Last edited by Sirloinburger; 05-05-2012 at 01:32 PM.

This is the media, not politicians. Law suits are already popping up and now they are doing a concussion study on Seau's body. Frankly, I also doubt it will ever be banned, but it might very well more resemble flag football more than football as we know it 10 years down the road. If someone invented some kind of concussion-proof playing surface without affecting speed, they would probably become an instant billionaire.

This is the media, not politicians. Law suits are already popping up and now they are doing a concussion study on Seau's body. Frankly, I also doubt it will ever be banned, but it might very well more resemble flag football more than football as we know it 10 years down the road. If someone invented some kind of concussion-proof playing surface without affecting speed, they would probably become an instant billionaire.
    It's more of a concussion proof helmet more so than the surface isn't it? Not all concussions are head to ground variety....(but yes...you WOULD be very rich with a concussion proof surface as well...RICHER with a concussion proof helmet....)
    Twitter updates: @BillRohland

I know that, but it would take legislation to move this forward.

There are a lot of sports that hurt your head. Soccer, NASCAR, Hockey, LAX, Skiiing, Basketball, Baseball. Almost every sport involves contact whether intentional or not. Ban them all.
    Last edited by Sirloinburger; 05-05-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gobo View Post
    It's more of a concussion proof helmet more so than the surface isn't it? Not all concussions are head to ground variety....(but yes...you WOULD be very rich with a concussion proof surface as well...RICHER with a concussion proof helmet....)
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloinburger View Post
    I know that, but it would take legislation to move this forward. There are a lot of sports that hurt your head. Soccer, NASCAR, Hockey, LAX, Skiiing, Basketball. Every sport involves contact whether intentional or not.
    It wouldn't necessarily take legislation, just successfull law suits, which would lead to insurance getting involved etc. For instance, some ski resorts are now requiring helmets and no state has passed a helmet law for skiing.

Just like any risk, you sign a waiver. My parents had to when I played pop warner. You know there are risks when you engage in any contact sport. Look at all the retired football players that didn't wear the technologically advanced helmets.

We had a 90 year old former ODU player running around as normal as can be at our first Spring game.

I agree with you, but it is tough to stop the elitists when they take on a cause. They just can't stand that a bunch of red necks from Alabama arebringing in more money to their university than NYU or Columbia... and that someone like Nick Saban, the leader of the rednecks that couldn't ever hold a conversation in any of their intellectual cocktail parties discussing the latest social theories, makes more money than any or them. I'll bet if Harvard was the national football powerhouse, they'd be fine with it.
    Last edited by EverRespect; 05-05-2012 at 12:30 PM.