JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21 Years Ago

Default 21 Years Ago

21 Years Ago, when ODU entered the CAA, I can vividly remember the disappointment that permeated throughout the Athletic community. It was then and still is a second rate league,,, too many examples to list.

The former Athletic Director resisted Football to his last day. It was well known that the day ODU had it first kickoff, was the "day I will announce my retirement." Standing right there with Roseanne/Broadrick, when they turned to him and said "announce your retirement"

Playing Hoops has always been great. Being successful even at the highest level of Basketball has always been underscored with a notion that we did not have a meaningful Football team to go with it.

This is the opportunity we all have been waiting for most of our lives. It is a critical step in the evolution of the Athletics at Old Dominion. I hope the administration makes the right call. ECU, Marshall & possibly UNCC are bus trips. That means we most likely will have to get on a plane about three times a year. We already do it twice now is it really that much more in cost compared to the benefit we get on a larger stage.

The CAA was supposed to be a temporary stop.........end the nightmare, and make the right decision.

GO MONARCHS

Default Re: 21 Years Ago

Well said +1 here

Excellent post.

Amen.

It's the final round. Will ODU go the distance or will it throw in the towel.

Can you imagine Virginia Tech playing at Old Dominion in Football. They play at ECU all the time.

Or maybe at a neutral site, like DC!

FBS programs will never play at FCS programs, Never have, never will!

Quote Originally Posted by metternick View Post
    21 Years Ago, when ODU entered the CAA, I can vividly remember the disappointment that permeated throughout the Athletic community.
    I remember it a little differently.

9 year in the SBC and no championships. 9 years in the SBC and 3 tournaments attended based on proximity. 9 years in the SBC and the only road game attended were in Richmond against VCU for the same reason.

21 years in the CAA and 6 championships won. 21 CAA Tournaments attended out of 21. Uncounted (100+) road conference road games attended.

The CAA has been a real pleasure for a fan. Fans attend games. They don't stay home to watch ODU at Rice on TV.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\My Documents\My Pictures\old-dominion.button.png

Quote Originally Posted by metternick View Post
    Can you imagine Virginia Tech playing at Old Dominion in Football. They play at ECU all the time.

Or maybe at a neutral site, like DC!

FBS programs will never play at FCS programs, Never have, never will!
    Some of Tech's results against CUSA, MAC and Sun Belt opponents

VT 26 Ark St. 7
    VT 17 @ ECU 10
    VT 30 @ Marshall 10
    VT 49 ECU 27
    VT 52 Marshall 10
    VT 27 WKU 13
    VT 28 Ohio 7
    VT 36 S. Miss 6
    VT 45 Ohio 0
    VT 41 Marshall 14
    VT 63 W. Mich. 0

We gotta win the recruiting war in the 757 if we're going to beat them at the FBS level.

You left out the game where ECU beat VT

Quote Originally Posted by EverRespect View Post
    You left out the game where ECU beat VT
    My bad 08-09 ECU 27 VT 22 Neutral site.

http://youtu.be/-I1Exe0S_u0

At the 1:30 mark, it's a retrospective look back at ODU's move out of the Sun Belt and to the CAA, footage includes Wendy Larry sporting a mean mullet and younger versions of Tom Yeager and Jim Jarrett.