JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CAA options

Default Re: CAA options

I spoke with Rector Trammel today and asked him about the BOV's perspective on the CAA. As I was asking my question I referenced how disappointed I was in the AD's comments in the Daily Press.

Jeff said that Taylor was calling each of his peers at VCU, GMU and ODU to encourage them to stay in the CAA and remind them that people like regional rivals. He said that if the CAA didn't work out the Patriot League would be an option and that we have been approached by them in the past.

He also said he really liked Terry Driscoll but that he would pass along the feedback on how his comments sounded (i.e., not having a plan, lack of leadership).
    Last edited by Lord Botetourt; 05-04-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    William & Mary Annual Giving supports student-athletes http://www.wm.edu/giving/index.php. Every gift counts, whether $5 or $5,000.

Quote Originally Posted by TribeWrestling View Post
    Tribal -

What is it that you want the AD and President to be proactively doing? You seem to be criticizing the AD because he was honest in an article. He is waiting to see what happens with the other schools that may be moving. Do you want him announcing on Monday W&M is asking to be invited to the Patriot or the So Con? If not, what exactly is it you want him to be doing? If the BoV at W&M passes a resolution tomorrow that tells the AD and President to take whatever steps are necessary to do what is best for W&M athletics, what is it you want them to do? Our best case scenario agreed to by everyone on this board would be for the status quo to remain or at least only lose VCU or GMU or ODU and not all three. What is it exactly you want the AD to do to make that happen and what makes you think he has any ability to do it? Please tell me what our AD, President and BOV should be doing that would make you feel like there is leadership occurring like at Coastal Carolina where their BoV passed a resolution that basically said "Do what you can to get us in a better conference." Maybe our BoV should pass a resolution that says, "In light of internet chatter and tweets, do what you can to move proactively to get us in a worse conference because we need to appear to be doing something."
    Here's what I'd like him to do, and what I would have liked him to say.

"W&M will maintain it's course of providing the best athletic program it can under the realities of our fiscal, and academic situation. It is clear from the current environment that we may be facing significant changes in the structure of the CAA. We have communicated to the league office, and to our fellow conference members our desire for the CAA to remain a significant presence in collegiate athletics, and made ourselves available to assist in any way we can to insure that that remains the case. We have also encouraged the league office to pursue all means available, including the addition of new schools to the CAA, to solidify the future of the conference. We are currently communicating with all league members, as well as other institutions to assess this very fluid situation, and determine the best course for the future of Tribe athletics. As we await the outcome of other school's decisions on conference alignment, we are also pursuing possible future alliances for W&M."

When the stuff is hitting the fan, the last thing you want is to sound clueless...or even worse, to be clueless. Our approach with the few statements we've seen smacks of "oh, poor us! We have no control over anything." To whatever degree that may be true, at least don't act like it! Saying publicly that you're not involved in any conversations on conference realignment is just unacceptable. Not being involved is even more unacceptable.

And for Jeff Trammel...if you're already talking Patriot League, you won't have my support when you're up for reappointment.

I think sooner or later CAA is destined to lose key members such as ODU, VCU, JMU, GMU as they will want to move to larger conferences. For these schools, C-USA and Big East mean better competition, more revenues, and better recognition. All these talks about regional rivalries are good, but it does not seem like it is up to us. I might be in minority, but I do not see anything in common with schools such as Coastal Carolina, Furman, Maryland Baltimore etc. I think we should have joined ACC when we had a chance long time ago (even Wake Forest is in it). As CAA continues to dissolve, our only option may be Patriot whether we like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by tribeintexas View Post
    I think sooner or later CAA is destined to lose key members such as ODU, VCU, JMU, GMU as they will want to move to larger conferences. For these schools, C-USA and Big East mean better competition, more revenues, and better recognition. All these talks about regional rivalries are good, but it does not seem like it is up to us. I might be in minority, but I do not see anything in common with schools such as Coastal Carolina, Furman, Maryland Baltimore etc. I think we should have joined ACC when we had a chance long time ago (even Wake Forest is in it). As CAA continues to dissolve, our only option may be Patriot whether we like it or not.
    You don't see anything in common with Furman? And who said anything about Maryland-Baltimore County? As far as Coastal Carolina is concerned, do we have anything less in common with them than JMU, or ODU, save location? The Patriot schools have strong academics, but how many of them are national universities? The answer is two...Lehigh, and Georgetown, which is a football only member, and who is likely headed out over the scholarship change. Other than the fact that the Patriot schools have selective enrollment for undergrads similar to us, we share no history, or connection to them, particularly where athletics are concerned.

If we sit on our duffs, you may be right that we'll end up in the Patriot.

I'll reiterate my stance. If the CAA falls apart (which we should take some responsibility for), we should return to the SoCon. If we're not talking about that, then we need new leadership. We have current conference mates who appear to desire a continued CAA. UNCW, Delaware, Towson, Hofstra, Drexel, and Northeastern are showing no inclination to move. Football members Richmond, Villanova, Maine and New Hampshire are also inclined to stay. JMU has nothing on its plate right now. If others are going to leave, we can't help that, so reinforce the league with new members.

Quote Originally Posted by TribeWrestling View Post
    Tribal -

What is it that you want the AD and President to be proactively doing? You seem to be criticizing the AD because he was honest in an article. He is waiting to see what happens with the other schools that may be moving. Do you want him announcing on Monday W&M is asking to be invited to the Patriot or the So Con? If not, what exactly is it you want him to be doing? If the BoV at W&M passes a resolution tomorrow that tells the AD and President to take whatever steps are necessary to do what is best for W&M athletics, what is it you want them to do? Our best case scenario agreed to by everyone on this board would be for the status quo to remain or at least only lose VCU or GMU or ODU and not all three. What is it exactly you want the AD to do to make that happen and what makes you think he has any ability to do it? Please tell me what our AD, President and BOV should be doing that would make you feel like there is leadership occurring like at Coastal Carolina where their BoV passed a resolution that basically said "Do what you can to get us in a better conference." Maybe our BoV should pass a resolution that says, "In light of internet chatter and tweets, do what you can to move proactively to get us in a worse conference because we need to appear to be doing something."

I've never said a bad word about anything related to W&M. Never. In fact, I'm often accused of being a Kool-Aid drinker. But, since you asked: All I want is for our administration to show a little sense of urgency (not panic like some of the chicken littles on here), formulate plan a, b, and c, and do what's best for our school. That means engage our conference members, do a little research, talk to SoCon about possible options, and PREPARE to ACT vice REACT. How about saying something like, "In light of recent movements and rumors throughout the CAA, I want to take a moment to inform our fan base about W&M's intentions. William & Mary has a proud athletic tradition and we intend to see that it continues...as strong as ever. We've been in discussion with the BOV and interested parties and formed a group of professionals to look into our options should the CAA destabilize. I cannot get into specifics, but rest assured that we are prepared to move swiftly. Our athletic programs are vital to the life of the Tribe and we will not stand by why other institutions take action. We will continue our traditions and we will show our fans that we mean business. We determine our future. Hark upon the Gale."

Quote Originally Posted by Tribe14SF View Post

"W&M will maintain it's course of providing the best athletic program it can under the realities of our fiscal, and academic situation. It is clear from the current environment that we may be facing significant changes in the structure of the CAA. We have communicated to the league office, and to our fellow conference members our desire for the CAA to remain a significant presence in collegiate athletics, and made ourselves available to assist in any way we can to insure that that remains the case. We have also encouraged the league office to pursue all means available, including the addition of new schools to the CAA, to solidify the future of the conference. We are currently communicating with all league members, as well as other institutions to assess this very fluid situation, and determine the best course for the future of Tribe athletics. As we await the outcome of other school's decisions on conference alignment, we are also pursuing possible future alliances for W&M."

When the stuff is hitting the fan, the last thing you want is to sound clueless...or even worse, to be clueless. Our approach with the few statements we've seen smacks of "oh, poor us! We have no control over anything." To whatever degree that may be true, at least don't act like it! Saying publicly that you're not involved in any conversations on conference realignment is just unacceptable. Not being involved is even more unacceptable.

And for Jeff Trammel...if you're already talking Patriot League, you won't have my support when you're up for reappointment.
    Okay, that's much better than what I wrote. Let's go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by -Tribal- View Post
    I've never said a bad word about anything related to W&M. Never. In fact, I'm often accused of being a Kool-Aid drinker. But, since you asked: All I want is for our administration to show a little sense of urgency (not panic like some of the chicken littles on here), formulate plan a, b, and c, and do what's best for our school. That means engage our conference members, do a little research, talk to SoCon about possible options, and PREPARE to ACT vice REACT. How about saying something like, "In light of recent movements and rumors throughout the CAA, I want to take a moment to inform our fan base about W&M's intentions. William & Mary has a proud athletic tradition and we intend to see that it continues...as strong as ever. We've been in discussion with the BOV and interested parties and formed a group of professionals to look into our options should the CAA destabilize. I cannot get into specifics, but rest assured that we are prepared to move swiftly. Our athletic programs are vital to the life of the Tribe and we will not stand by why other institutions take action. We will continue our traditions and we will show our fans that we mean business. We determine our future. Hark upon the Gale."
    +1
    Bleed Green & Gold.

This is just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribe14SF View Post

+50

In regard to Trammel, all we have there is that he said the Patriot would be an option. No argument that the Patriot is a bad option, but I'll wait to hang him until I see a direct quote.
    Bleed Green & Gold.

This is just how it is.

Sandy's was better but no way his was 49 points better. I feel like Michael Dukakis.

Yeah, you're right. I award you an additional 45 points after the fact.
    Bleed Green & Gold.

This is just how it is.