Elon
HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Default Front page of cbsportsline...and parallels to 20 years ago

I fail to remember the last time we were on the front page of cbssportsline, it was probably when I was in college and our women's basketball team lost in the national championship game. One of the top headlines right now reads: "Seven schools on move Friday; ODU undecided." Anyone remember that about 20 years ago ODU was offered an invite to the Big East when the ECAC dissolved and we turned it down to go to the Sun Belt?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...urphy/18954539

I'm not 100% sure that moving to C-USA is the right move, but if any decisions were 100% they would be easy. Saturday afternoons in the fall getting ready for a game against ECU, Marshall, or Southern Miss would be pretty nice compared to Campbell, Gardner-Webb, or VMI. No offense to the schools mentioned! I still think ODU needs to figure out a way to get JMU to come along to C-USA with us.

Basketball will still schedule VCU every year, just like we still schedule Richmond.

Default Re: Front page of cbsportsline...and parallels to 20 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by ODU Commish View Post
    I fail to remember the last time we were on the front page of cbssportsline, it was probably when I was in college and our women's basketball team lost in the national championship game. One of the top headlines right now reads: "Seven schools on move Friday; ODU undecided." Anyone remember that about 20 years ago ODU was offered an invite to the Big East when the ECAC dissolved and we turned it down to go to the Sun Belt?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...urphy/18954539

I'm not 100% sure that moving to C-USA is the right move, but if any decisions were 100% they would be easy. Saturday afternoons in the fall getting ready for a game against ECU, Marshall, or Southern Miss would be pretty nice compared to Campbell, Gardner-Webb, or VMI. No offense to the schools mentioned! I still think ODU needs to figure out a way to get JMU to come along to C-USA with us.

Basketball will still schedule VCU every year, just like we still schedule Richmond.
    Why would JMU have anything to do with this?

Quote Originally Posted by EverRespect View Post
    Why would JMU have anything to do with this?
    Added stability IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ODU Commish View Post
    Anyone remember that about 20 years ago ODU was offered an invite to the Big East when the ECAC dissolved and we turned it down to go to the Sun Belt?

Whats the story behind that?

It was not 20 years ago it 30+ years ago, going on 35.

ODU was hoping for an invite from a conference called the Eastern Eight (Villanova, Duquesne, Penn State, West Virginia, George Washington, Massachusetts, Pittsburgh, and Rutgers). The Big East was forming from some teams in the old ECAC (1979: Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, Syracuse, Seton Hall started it, and then invited Connecticut, Holy Cross, Rutgers, and Boston College) and ODU was invited as either an original member or in the next group). Our AD at the time, thought the Eastern 8 was the way to go. He told the BE no thanks, and the Eastern 8 never sent an invite. So then we turned to what was believed to be the next best option the Sun Belt. The Eastern 8 Conference ended up becoming the Atltantic 10. To be honest the schools in the E8 at that time had better history at the time than those forming the BE (at least for BB). However, the better schools in the E8, such as Villanova, actually left (after we joined the Sun Belt) for the Big East.
    If it weren't for Double Standards, Liberals would have no standards at all.

VA Beach Police: Giving Barney Fife a good name!

Illegitimous noncarborundum (donít let the bastards wear you down)