HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default At least rich radford gets it!

He's literally the only sports columnist or talk show host in the entire area with any common sense.

Radford's article in today's pilot is almost completely spot on.

Read it if you get a chance.....he details exactly what many of us are looking forward too and why we want out of the caa.

His article is about "dreaming" at odu. That we move up to cusa, we add on to our stadium, we maybe even add evms to the school etc.

Well done rich!

Default Re: At least rich radford gets it!

Ha thanks for posting that. I read it in this mornings paper before I left for work but I didn't have a chance to go to pilot online and link the article.

It's a very good read, even if it isn't entirely based in reality......at least he gets it though!

If Radford has a gut feeling we're going to CUSA, we're going to CUSA. If there's anything I've learned reading his stuff, it's that he's as cryptic as it gets. He LOVES to hint at things when he's gets some strong inside info...and he's the only reporter I trust that can get info like that before the fact. My take: Selig and Broderick will recommend a move to CUSA and hopefully the BOV agrees.

Radford once again shows his disdain for all things JMU.....we will go to the MAC loooooong before Delaware ever does.

But back to the topic at hand....you guys definitely should go. In fact, you HAVE to go if the opportunity is there. We would do the same given the opportunity. So I'm not in any way trying to say this isn't the right move with my comments to follow.

However, I'd backpedal a lot on these dreams of grandeur. Just my non-ODU perspective on a couple points I've read on here:

1) ECU will not become your rival....ECU and Charlotte will end up an end of season brawl. If any school will be, it's going to be Marshall. And I know you guys can try and convince yourself that you'll "hate" Marshall, but I somehow doubt it will be at the same level of disdain you've had for VCU, GMU, JMU or any other CAA team. And it won't be the same playing those schools OOC. It won't happen every year, nothing will be on the line, there will be no tournament battles. It'll lose some of its panache. And you likely won't schedule JMU in football. So who is going to rile you up on the gridiron? Tulsa? UAB? FIU? Charlotte? ECU? Marshall? Ehhh.....we'll see.

2) the "national TV" exposure will not be as great as you may think. If the TV deal is being worked on between MWC and CUSA, you are talking about 26 teams fighting for those limited TV slots. How many times a year is ODU going to be involved? Maybe 1-2 football games? 5-6 hoops games? Is that any different than what you get now especially with the national TV contract the CAA has worked up with NBC? You'll probably get more exposure in the CAA, especially if, as expected, ODU ends up one of the top teams in both football and basketball.

3) the TV money would also be divided up among 26 teams....maybe more if both leagues continue to expand. Is the pie going to be great enough that ODU's share is enough to offset the increase in travel costs that are likely to go with it?

4) Lenn Robbins mentioned today a new eastern league being worked on today in the NY Post. This is old news. it's been talked about for well over a year now among many schools......JMU, App State, ODU, UD, ECU, Marshall, Ga Southern, Ohio and others. The only reason this league has not been formed already is the NCAA rule about being invited by an existing IA league to move up. With this latest round of rumors and moves, I think it's very close to time that a lawsuit against this is going to happen. Why should JMU and ASU, two schools who have the facilities, support and desire to move up be held back because of this when there are at least 30-40 schools already in IA who cannot even touch what JMU and ASU are already doing at a "lower" level? Maybe it's best to hold off and see what happens in the very near future before "rushing" into it.

This article....excites me.

Everyone laugh at the jmu fan and his sour grapes. You know he'd LOVE to take our place in "crappy cusa".....in a freaking heartbeat.

Too funny.

I like the way his gut dreams.
    Last edited by Creighton; 05-03-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon 2 View Post
    Everyone laugh at the jmu fan and his sour grapes. You know he'd LOVE to take our place in "crappy cusa".....in a freaking heartbeat.

Too funny.
    what's too funny is you clearly can't read.

I think the JMU guy makes some good points, but I'd like to argue a couple of them...1st JMU used to be our biggest hoops rival until VCU joined the CAA and Mason starting becoming a good team. I totally think ECU can become a rival at least for FB - we'll play them every year and if the games are competitve its an easy rival (I agree that it will be difficult to match the BBall rival that we have with VCU though)...I also think that the TV deal with the MWC would be 1/2 regional and 1/2 national. that just a guess though. I doubt that many E coast broadcasts will show many MWC games. I think it just would encourage more MWC-CUSA games to be scheduled - however, thats just my opinion as I'm not very educated on how any of these TV deals will work...as to your last point - that conference doesn't exist right now, the CUSA and thier offer to ODU does.