HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Default Conference Realignment?

I know this topic has been beat to death, but recent events make it relevant yet again. With VCU, GMU, GSU and now looking like ODU (to CUSA) leaving, is it time to reconsider our conference? The new CAA, if no schools are added, will be a waste of travel dollars!

Hate that our stock is at an all time low during this timeframe......

Thoughts?

Default Re: Conference Realignment?

I'm all for it. Maybe Jones'n and Tony will go slug around on ODU's boards instead of ours.
    UNCW - Where beating #1 happens.

I know i'm in the minority on this, but I don't think we should leave the CAA. It's too reactionary. If GMU/VCU/ODU all leave the conference will be down just as we are. I believe the conference will come back up and we would have a chance to big the face of it as we improve as well. Sure we may not be VCU unless our budget changes, but I think the CAA is the best place for us.

I understand the concern on travel expenses, but we don't know who the conference is looking to add.

So you think that a conference with all northern schools other than JMU is the place for a North Carolina school?I would like to know why you think that?Northeastern,Drexel,Towson,JMU,Hofstra,Delawa re,W&M and UNCW is a fit?It is painfully obviously that the CAA is falling apart and will be a low tier D-1 conference with little to no fan appeal to a NC basketball fan base.The SoCon would be a pipe dream for UNCW now but I keep hearing they have no interest in UNCW at all.Big South is the next best fit and that is sad to think but it is a real possibility now.

UNCW needs to seek the best experience for the students and alumni at this point. Commit to football with an eye on the SoCon. Our shot at the "Butler" of the South has passed thanks to our prior Administration. Time to move on.
    Just wait until NEXT year....

I agree with that and it is a very good baseball conference and it appears now that baseball is UNCW's best program for fan support.
    Quote Originally Posted by 82hawk View Post
    UNCW needs to seek the best experience for the students and alumni at this point. Commit to football with an eye on the SoCon. Our shot at the "Butler" of the South has passed thanks to our prior Administration. Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpinmullet View Post
    I agree with that and it is a very good baseball conference and it appears now that baseball is UNCW's best program for fan support.
    Disagreed. As much as I am a fan of UNCW Baseball, it is only our best program for fan support because of its success.

If the Basketball team were to have the same type of success (NCAA Tournament appearance avg. of once every 2-4 years, always in the top 4), we'd be packing Trask every night like the old days. Baseball is doing great but basketball has a MUCH higher ceiling in terms of generating interest. We need to continue to be a basketball-first athletic program.

Basketball was first, but without ODU, Mason and VCU, we can't accomplish that goal in the CAA. The CAA will be left with mediocre basketball schools, and is will then be geared toward football.

If we don't move into football, nobody will want us. And if we stay in the CAA, we'll be in a very weak basketball conference. No win situation in the CAA. At least in the SoCon we can feasibly move into football.
    Just wait until NEXT year....

Quote Originally Posted by jumpinmullet View Post
    So you think that a conference with all northern schools other than JMU is the place for a North Carolina school?I would like to know why you think that?Northeastern,Drexel,Towson,JMU,Hofstra,Delawa re,W&M and UNCW is a fit?It is painfully obviously that the CAA is falling apart and will be a low tier D-1 conference with little to no fan appeal to a NC basketball fan base.The SoCon would be a pipe dream for UNCW now but I keep hearing they have no interest in UNCW at all.Big South is the next best fit and that is sad to think but it is a real possibility now.
    Just curious, isn't W & M in VA, thus it wouldn't be a "Northern School" I do agree with your thoughts though....
    At Least our baseball team is nails!

Reactionary as it may be, we should leave if the SoCon would take us. If the Big South is our best option, we might as well stay in the CAA. The SoCon give us regional rivals that are appealing if the strength of the CAA is diminished by the predicted exodus.

Quote Originally Posted by SeahawkCentral View Post
    I know i'm in the minority on this, but I don't think we should leave the CAA. It's too reactionary. If GMU/VCU/ODU all leave the conference will be down just as we are. I believe the conference will come back up and we would have a chance to big the face of it as we improve as well. Sure we may not be VCU unless our budget changes, but I think the CAA is the best place for us.

I understand the concern on travel expenses, but we don't know who the conference is looking to add.