HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default The question I have is this regarding CUSA

Will this be a football-only move or will it be an all-sports move.

The all-sports condition scares me due to increased travel costs for all programs and could eventually be a money suck, especially if football ends up as another 6-5 FBS team fighting it out for the Beef O' Brady's bowl or some other garbage consolation prize bowl.

Of course, most of you know where my sport allegiance stands ... if this leads to financial drain and we have to look to drop programs, I'd be clearly against the move for the entire scale of ODU athletics.

If it's a football-only move, I'm fine with it. If it's going to end up being a financial drain, guess who ends up getting cut? Non-revenue men's sports. This, I am not a fan of.

Wait and see, I guess.
    I dropped "The Ted" on you.

Default Re: The question I have is this regarding CUSA

The two divisions will really make the travel aspect less than most are speculating. I'm guessing that we will be playing almost entirely games against CUSA East teams, with a few exceptions.

I'm not against a move to FBS, but I would have loved to see ODU win some FCS titles before it occurred.

I just worry when you're going to join a conference where some sports aren't sponsored (like wrestling). Without an all-sports sanction, some of those teams could be on the block and I'm dead set against this for any ODU sport.

The moment we drop a team because of this is the moment my donations end.

I'm a firm believer our athletics program shouldn't just hedge on football success. Granted, football success has helped the school become more of a "school" for college-bound kids, but I've seen cuts happen for the lamest of reasons. I just don't want it happening at my school. Let the JMU's of the world mire in mediocrity. We're better than that.
    I dropped "The Ted" on you.

At least Selig should have a good idea what it takes to go FBS. It makes me feel a little better knowing that he has been through this before.

It will boil down to the TV contract. That's to be seen, but it will likely be far and away anything that we've seen in the CAA. I trust that the financials will be fine.

Football Divisions will be set up east and west.

East-

Marshall
    ECU
    USM
    UAB
    FIU
    ODU
    Charlotte

West-

Tulane
    Tulsa
    UTEP
    Rice
    UNT
    UTSA
    La Tech

We'll play 6 from our division and at least two crossover games. Conference championship game is played at the home of the division champion with the better record.

In basketball I would think we'll continue the current format. No specified divisions, but home and home games with everyone that plays in the football east and then a couple crossover west games. Tournament has been played in Memphis most recently. Could now be played in New Orleans, Tulsa, Charlotte or Miami.

Baseball is similar to the basketball format.

I'm already on record for New Orleans or Raleigh for CUSA tournament, really want New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    It will boil down to the TV contract. That's to be seen, but it will likely be far and away anything that we've seen in the CAA. I trust that the financials will be fine.
    The current CUSA TV contracts with Fox Sports and CBS Sports Network are worth $14M a year. They run through 2015-16.

This is all sorts of exciting.

I like your analysis MUteke. Man, we would playing tradition rich football schools!

You wonder who drew first blood ....the VCU/GMU dual exodus or the rumor mill about us going FBS?

If we do this jump....our BOV and AD better do it right. Like make the significant investments for ramping up quickly. We are used to (and spolied) at the Football level with winning, sold out games, and massive support. So we will need to keep growing all of that.....and not compromise all of what I mentioned and more.

I'm very impressed with Old Dominion's facilities. You guys bump up the capacity to 35 - 40,000 and that football stadium would be top 5 in the conference, IMO.

Since the annual Friends of Coal Bowl series ends with WVU after this season maybe Marshall and ODU can come up with something to replace it. Battle of the Virginias?

Here is Joan C Edwards Stadium. Capacity is 38,019 / Record 41,382