HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Baseball vs. Elon

Bill is a tough cat to figure out lately, overly negative in regards to a good baseball team and overly positive on a hoops team that is a train wreck. What gives?
    At Least our baseball team is nails!

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkhoops View Post
    Bill is a tough cat to figure out lately, overly negative in regards to a good baseball team and overly positive on a hoops team that is a train wreck. What gives?
    Haha yeah. Could it be a matter of heightened expectations for baseball and lowered expectations for basketball?

Baseball: College World Series appearance or we suck.

Basketball: Don't pull a Towson.

Baseball: Can't afford to give away games like that! We need to reel off these next 12 games.

Basketball: Guys, we may have a coach looking to bail, a team of a$$holes who don't play defense, and our best returning scorer next year might be Tanner Milson, but........damn if that dance team isn't hot.

Well, let me put it this way. Secrest saved us from our base running mistakes last night. At least three bonehead miffs on the bases, where at least one would have scored if they hadn't had the mental errors. The squeaze call with our best bunter at the plate was a pure miss communication. The best teams have those games on occassions. But that is what made Secrest's feat even more spectatular. We survived with mental mistakes against a good team. I can assure you though, that many mistakes against UNC will not produce a W.

I still am very high on this team. But we are deep into the season and this team is too good to make so many mistakes at this time of the year. Overall, they have turned it around and I think they will be a team that will do damage in the post season.
    Last edited by SEA33HAWK; 04-26-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    SHUT UP AND PLAY!!!!

A.K.A. 33Talons

Quote Originally Posted by SEA33HAWK View Post
    We survived with mental mistakes against a good team. I can assure you though, that many mistakes against UNC will not produce a W.
    That's true, and that May 8th contest with Chapel Hill will have HUGE implications.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk Nation 08 View Post
    Bill, mistakes happen. And its not like these other teams aren't trying to win either (nor are they without mistakes). Elon is a very good team so the idea that we almost "gave away the game" is laughable. They didn't get to being top-50 for nothing.

When you base your hopes on 18-22 year old kids who don't have a fully developed prefrontal cortex (aka decision-making center of the brain; sorry, I was a psych major), they're going to make lots of mistakes. Its just the way it works at the college level.

An underdeveloped prefrontal cortex are the reasons we ran the bases like crap? Who knew...
    We go from young to old so we better go from losing to winning.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan4life View Post
    An underdeveloped prefrontal cortex are the reasons we ran the bases like crap? Who knew...
    Indirectly, sure. That part of the brain isn't developed fully until you're 25. Can't rent a car OR run the bases until then.

^ I LOL'd on that one. Thanks nation.
    UNCW - Where beating #1 happens.

33 kinda sees it like I do here. They just have to minimize mistakes because they have the team to win and win some NCAA games.

Getting to hoops just for a second. Hard to win when you bring a sword to a gunfight. They are getting the pieces together but, yes, I have a higher expectation for this baseball team this year. You have to have good guard play in hoops. Hopefully Ponder, Graham, Hager et al will eventually change that part of the equation. Gonna be tougher without Rendleman for a year, but others will have to step up.

No matter what, I'm behind both programs 100%. If I seem tough on baseball, it's cause I see a team that can win right now. We need a winner right now. They still have a long stretch to go, but they've been playing pretty good lately.
    A decade of excellence...
    1998 NIT
    2000 NCAA
    2001 NIT
    2002 NCAA & Baseball 2003 NCAA
    2003 NCAA & Baseball 2004 NCAA
    2006 NCAA & Baseball 2006 NCAA
    2008 NCAA Baseball