HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Get Ready For 4G LTE Harrisonburg

Parts of Harrisonburg, mainly around the hospital now have 4G.
    Last edited by hburg; 04-21-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Current or old hospital?

Default Re: Get Ready For 4G Harrisonburg

Vz or AT&T?

Sprint, around the new hospital. I think all the towers should be updated by next month from what I understand.
    Last edited by hburg; 04-22-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Sprint? Who the heck uses sprint? I need some LTE!

Devon lane and Hunters Ridge area has 4G as well. If you are driving around the area, let us know where you have 4G service (sprint). All other carriers I would assume it is coming shortly after Sprint. The convo area does not have it yet.
    Last edited by hburg; 04-20-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Fwiw. Sprint is now deploying LTE in big markets, however Hburg is a partnership with shentel which is more than likely the wimax 4g that clearwire uses. ATT and vzw should have LTE in the burg soon roanoke launched with vzw LTE awhile.back...
    JMU LET'S GO I-A!

1duped on April 16, 2009, 05:00:18 AM

If JJthebutcher posts and says it's the truth, it's the truth!

How much of a difference of speed is there between the LTE and the wimax 4G? It's not that big of a difference is there? Even at 3G, the speed is fine.

EDIT: Wow, LTE on Verizon is extremely fast as far as download speeds are concerned

Also, saw this from another post on the Sprint message boards. Makes me think that maybe the towers in Harrisonburg are 4G LTE, but who knows for sure
    Edit: I just got off the phone with a supervisor in Technical Support. She told me that Sprint was definitely not rolling out more WiMax towers because of the conversion to LTE. Sprint may be adding 4G towers, but they're not WiMax, and they definitely aren't adding any LTE towers currently. Besides, LTE won't be going to any new areas. It'll be going to markets that already have WiMax services. i.e. Dallas, Chicago, Charlotte, etc. Newer markets won't be til Q3, if they're lucky.
    EDIT: Decided to call the local Sprint store and asked them about whether or not the 4G was going to be the Wimax network or the LTE network and she stated that it was definitely the LTE network. Of course, she couldn't give me the full details on when the 4G LTE was going to be completely rolled out in Harrisonburg.
    Last edited by hburg; 04-21-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
    Sprint? Who the heck uses sprint? I need some LTE!
    The biggest reason why I still use Sprint is because I get a discount on my data plan. I'm only paying $50 a month for unlimited data compared to others who are paying around $100.

VZW LTE will be great - when fully rolled out. Some of the larger markets have excellent speeds (less saturation of LTE phones/usage helps). WashDC has whatever ****ty release version they have (or maybe is is the Thunderbolt I own) but bits of Nova can snag the signal every once in a while. Why they won't release it in NOVA yet is beyond me but w/e. I'll keep using them until they tell me my unlimited data plan isn't valid anymore - or they throttle me. Then it is off to T-Mobile!