HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Spring Game Thoughts

Seemed to me that the pants were the identifying feature, offense wore gold with green jerseys, defense wore green with white jerseys. All around good afternoon, perfect weather and good to be at Zable watching the Tribe.

There was a roster handout at the main entrance that had all the players' names and split into offense and defense. I believe they ran out eventually as a much larger crowd than expected showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by -Tribal- View Post
    I would have liked to have seen the crowd on the opposite side of the field 1) to show the size of the crowd for those streaming the event and 2) so I could actually hear the PA announcer and interviews with Walker and Driscoll and not/not 3 young men in the crowd talking about some chick who's on their radar.
    I think that would be a welcome secondary choice for commentary through some games...especially when in need of comic relief.

From what I saw of the scrimmage, I was impressed with the play of kicker/punter, Soph. John Carpenter. John made several kicks/punts for very good distances and looks to be demonstrating the ability that made him an all-everything K/P in the state of Maryland as a High School player. Carpenter and Drake Kuhn seemed to share time in that role but Carpenter definitely gets much more distance on his kicks than Kuhn. The kicking game has been a weakness for the Tribe for the past few years. It will be great to have a kicker who can force the opposition to start play deeper in their own territory for a change. I am guessing that we will see Kuhn continue to kck for the PAT, and Carpenter do the punting and the KOs.

Laycock quoted in Flathat to the effect that "the linebackers and defensive backs have the most speed we've ever had here". Confirms what many thought was the outstanding highlight of the spring game.

Excellent speed, athleticism and those guys hit hard. Webb we know is as good as anybody but Tagao
    (sp?) showed why he is on his way to being on the same level...he has size, speed, aggression and range.

Carpenter's 53-yard field goal, which cleared the crossbar by at least five yards, opened lots of eyes.
    Don't forget we have one of the state's premier placekickers coming in the fall...a kid who booted a 60 yard field goal last season and had all but one of his kickoffs sail into the endzone.

Speaking of kickers, noticed Lyon is no longer on the roster. Didn't even make it a year (?)

Nor is Lou Petrocelli. Wasn't he a scholarship recruit?

Quote Originally Posted by ttgwm02 View Post
    Nor is Lou Petrocelli. Wasn't he a scholarship recruit?
    2011 recruit. Playing college ball isn't for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by 62Indian View Post
    From what I saw of the scrimmage, I was impressed with the play of kicker/punter, Soph. John Carpenter. John made several kicks/punts for very good distances and looks to be demonstrating the ability that made him an all-everything K/P in the state of Maryland as a High School player. Carpenter and Drake Kuhn seemed to share time in that role but Carpenter definitely gets much more distance on his kicks than Kuhn. The kicking game has been a weakness for the Tribe for the past few years. It will be great to have a kicker who can force the opposition to start play deeper in their own territory for a change. I am guessing that we will see Kuhn continue to kck for the PAT, and Carpenter do the punting and the KOs.
    Carpenter is from the area where my grandparents & mother grew up (Lonaconing, Maryland). My maternal uncle was a politician up there for many years--enough about my family. One thing I can tell you is those western MD folks are as hard nosed as they come. I ran into John late summer of his recruited year and we talked about the competition he faced. Without hesitation, he apologized for appearing cocky but said he would do whatever it took to start. I suppose most athletes feel that way but he looked like someone just stole his puppy as he said it. A kicker.