HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: JMU Cheerleaders-2012 National Champions

If I am not mistaken, they won a National Championship back in the 80's or early 90's as well.
    King George, VA - Birthplace of James Madison and Homeplace of three JMU Hall of Famers; and OJF!

Quote Originally Posted by BSKB 24 View Post
    If I am not mistaken, they won a National Championship back in the 80's or early 90's as well.
    JMU site says 1996...but I think they also won in 1982 (or thereabouts)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHYqg...eature=related

"Don't be an idiot son, I can't coach idiots" ~Mickey Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by JMUDukes92 View Post
    I believe there are 4

IA
    I
    II
    III

I think JMU is Division I. IA is the highest level.
    Arent there not only multiple divisions but also multiple associations??? My friend cheered in college but it wasnt under the NCA that JMU won its national championship. This is an awesome win for the cheer program but from what I remember talking to my friend...its a lot like high school football in Virginia...i.e. Division 1A champ, Division 2A, Division 3AA, Division 4AA, Division 5AAA, Division 6AAA etc...there are like over a half dozen national champions.

I am just confused because we beat out Michigan and Weatherford College???? What??? How are they in the same category???

I am a girl and even I dont understand cheerleading at the college level.

Quote Originally Posted by DolleyMadison View Post
    Arent there not only multiple divisions but also multiple associations??? My friend cheered in college but it wasnt under the NCA that JMU won its national championship. This is an awesome win for the cheer program but from what I remember talking to my friend...its a lot like high school football in Virginia...i.e. Division 1A champ, Division 2A, Division 3AA, Division 4AA, Division 5AAA, Division 6AAA etc...there are like over a half dozen national champions.

I am just confused because we beat out Michigan and Weatherford College???? What??? How are they in the same category???

You're not alone in being confused about the various levels/sponsoring labels...no doubt this confusion hasn't helped advance the sport...and I do think it's a sport...as something the NCAA wants to sanction. I'm sure the politics of cutting thru all the competing associations is a major hurdle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHYqg...eature=related

"Don't be an idiot son, I can't coach idiots" ~Mickey Matthews

Watch the "Penn & Teller's Bullsh!t" episode on cheerleading and you'll see that it really is a joke (the way things are set up). Varsity Brands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varsity_Brands) runs most of the organizations, sets the national rules, and sells most of the uniforms/equipments. Extra points are apparently given in competitions to teams using Varsity props (like pompoms)...the more props your team buys, the higher their points. They purposely set up a ton of cheerleading organizations to make it seem like there's real competition, but in reality they do it so there can be a ton of "National Champions" - increasing their publicity and profits.

The fact is our squad deserves better than this fraud of an organization and the NCAA would actually be a huge improvement. The talent of JMU students should not be used to make Varsity any money.
    2012 College Football Champions:
    NAIA - Marian University
    DIII - Mount Union
    DII - Valdosta State
    D I-AA - NDSU
    D I-A - NONE

"It's a hostile environment," he said. "Even the band will cuss at you. It's classic, we're warming up and that band is just cursing at us and my guys are looking like, ‘This is the band,'" and I said, ‘Yeah, just wait until you play the team.'"

-UDel football coach K.C. Keeler on playing at JMU

wow. Had no idea about this hand that feeds you kickback machine in Cheerleading. Course how or why would I?

If this is truly correct-
    The fact is our squad deserves better than this fraud of an organization and the NCAA would actually be a huge improvement.
    and trading one corrupt and fraudulent organization for another is still an improvement, then Wow. That has GOT to be eff'ed up relationship.

Oh, and *edit* Congrats JMU Cheerleading. A C-ship is a C-ship at whatever level you compete.
    2004 National Champions.

CAA4Life

So, the swimsuit calendar is coming out when?

I kid, I kid, fine achievement! Way to go ladies, maybe the world will appreciate what you do and recognize cheering as a team sport one day.
    "Well, comebacks are for losers. Eventually, you've got to come out ready to play." - Gary Williams

Quote Originally Posted by DolleyMadison View Post

The other major organization is UCA....I actually know these things because I was actually...and I'm not making this up.....the manager for the cheeleaders and Dukettes for about 2 years at JMU, and my girlfriend for most of college was a Dukette.

I too wonder how this works. Is this just one of many "national championships tournaments" options schools can go to and schools select tournaments based on their level/quality of cheering? I'm by far not a cheerleading expert, but I would say the cheerleading teams of the past were far better. I believe cheerleading use to be a scholarship sport at JMU.

Glad that we won, but I'm pretty sure this is not a tournament of all the top college programs.
    JMU, The Pride of VA and Ohio

Sounds like boxing, with all of these different champions.