JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: JMU Cheerleaders-2012 National Champions

Quote Originally Posted by JCSuperSka View Post
    Sounds like boxing, with all of these different champions.
    So if I am following...there are 4 national champs under the NCA. I assume a similar amount under the UCA. They are all run by this Varsity Company. And this is also under the assumption that not all schools even compete in these tournaments (some schools cheer squads are just there to cheer on the school's teams and do not compete).

I hope any cheerleaders or anyone associated doesnt take my comments or anyone else's as to take away from you accomplished. I am more disappointed in the fact that there is no legitimate way for cheerleaders to actually compete in a fair and legit competition.

There is basically 8-10 "national champions" all competing in competitions that have a sketchy scoring system in order to produce numerous champions. Sounds like the Varsity Company is just profiting off a crappy system and the NCAA or those involved arent really caring enough to do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DolleyMadison View Post
    So if I am following...there are 4 national champs under the NCA. I assume a similar amount under the UCA. They are all run by this Varsity Company. And this is also under the assumption that not all schools even compete in these tournaments (some schools cheer squads are just there to cheer on the school's teams and do not compete).

I hope any cheerleaders or anyone associated doesnt take my comments or anyone else's as to take away from you accomplished. I am more disappointed in the fact that there is no legitimate way for cheerleaders to actually compete in a fair and legit competition.

There is basically 8-10 "national champions" all competing in competitions that have a sketchy scoring system in order to produce numerous champions. Sounds like the Varsity Company is just profiting off a crappy system and the NCAA or those involved arent really caring enough to do something about it.
    That's basically it. At the high school level, some states have cheer competitions sponsored by their normal sport governing bodies (like the VHSL or NHIAA) while others don't - leaving schools in these that do want to compete to join one of these sketchy outside groups. At the college level, there is nothing run by the NCAA - so schools that do want to compete have no real choice. (And, apparently, schools are typically charged to enter at many of these competitions.)

One other downside to this, is that since there's no legitimate organization to all of this at the college level, cheerleading is not considered to be eligible for Title IX. If the NCAA were to take over the oversight of this - it almost certainly would become eligible. Since most schools already have the infrastructure in place for squads (equipment, coaches, etc.), they could start offering Title IX scholarships immediately. (This could be very helpful for JMU if we move up for football...)
    2012 College Football Champions:
    NAIA - Marian University
    DIII - Mount Union
    DII - Valdosta State
    D I-AA - NDSU
    D I-A - NONE

"It's a hostile environment," he said. "Even the band will cuss at you. It's classic, we're warming up and that band is just cursing at us and my guys are looking like, ‘This is the band,'" and I said, ‘Yeah, just wait until you play the team.'"

-UDel football coach K.C. Keeler on playing at JMU

Yeah, I might get shot down by someone for this comment, but I don't see why cheerleading isn't an NCAA sport.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSuperSka View Post
    Yeah, I might get shot down by someone for this comment, but I don't see why cheerleading isn't an NCAA sport.
    There's absolutely no reason for competition cheer to not be sanctioned by the NCAA.