HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Thread: Am I a booster?

Default Am I a booster?

I am a season ticket holder, but don't donate beyond that. Am I considered a booster by NCAA rules?

Default Re: Am I a booster?

Yup.

asciiiiiiiiiii

From the ODU web site.

Representative of Athletics Interest
    A Representative of Athletics Interest (Booster) is anyone who is known or should be known by a member of the institution's administrator or coaching staff to:
    • Participate in or have been a member of a sport support group or booster club;
    • Provide or helped arrange employment for student-athletes or provided benefits for enrolled student-athletes;
    • Have been involved, in any way in the promotion of ODU Athletics;
    • Participated as a varsity athlete at ODU;
    • Make or have made a donation to ODU or an ODU booster club;
    • Assist with recruitment;
    • Has been requested by the athletics department staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes or is assisting in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.

Please note that once an individual has been identified as a Representative of Athletics Interest by the institution, that individual retains that identity forever. ONCE A BOOSTER, ALWAYS A BOOSTER.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\My Documents\My Pictures\old-dominion.button.png

Also from the NCAA site which explicitly states season ticket holders.

"Boosters play a role in providing student-athletes with a positive experience through their enthusiastic efforts. They can support teams and athletics departments through donations of time and financial resources which help student-athletes succeed on and off the playing field.

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as “representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,” include anyone who has:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university."

Link

Edit: Actually.... now that I read it again it says donation IN ORDER to obtain season tickets. Kind of blurry wording.
    Last edited by Creighton; 04-13-2012 at 10:21 AM.

I've found it on some other schools FAQs where the questions asked "If I buy season tickets am I a booster?" the answer was yes.

I would say if you paid into the BBC in order to get first dibs on season tickets, yes.
    (Is there any other way to get season tickets at ODU? Can you buy season tickets and not pay into the ODAF/BBC?

Maybe some schools you can just buy the tickets for the season... to me, that's not a booster.
    What if I am on the waiting list... buy my tickets weekly... is that a booster?

Quote Originally Posted by bigblueodu View Post
    I would say if you paid into the BBC in order to get first dibs on season tickets, yes.
    (Is there any other way to get season tickets at ODU? Can you buy season tickets and not pay into the ODAF/BBC?

Maybe some schools you can just buy the tickets for the season... to me, that's not a booster.
    What if I am on the waiting list... buy my tickets weekly... is that a booster?
    No, I called the Box office and ordered my tickets, paying with my debit card over the phone. No money went to the ODUAF. We are talking basketball. I don't have football tickets.

Buying single tickets doesn't seem to imply you are a booster. But buying season tickets for any sport from what I read makes you a booster. But that hole line "donation IN ORDER to obtain season tickets" might be misleading. I'd just assume you are I guess.
    Last edited by Creighton; 04-13-2012 at 11:52 AM.