NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marko? Polo?

Default Re: Marko? Polo?

Quote Originally Posted by NYnVA View Post
    If he comes during the game the arena can play a game played at many pools where people say marko and others say polo which is what I thought about when I saw the titile of this thread with both of the question marks
    Not as fun without pool, women, bikinis and alcohol......
    Only three things in this world make me nervous: snakes, un-tuned guitars and red-headed women.

KA's father, circa 1980

While I hate not using all of our scholarships, I think our best option is to hold it for the 2013 class. I have no idea on how this new staff looks at it, but right now in our past two classes we have a 1 in Edwards, a 2 in Holloway, a 3 in Gray, a 4 in Gujanicic, and a 5 in Copes. Nothing against Carrera or Crider, but one more year allows us to 1) evaluate the 5 young guys and see if we need to fill a need if one of them doesn't cut it, 2) if the 5 guys work out go for the best available no matter position, and 3) allows us to bring in a guy who will sit for a year and have a chance to play major minutes as a soph instead of bringing a guy in this year and have them buried on the bench for two years. As good as Carrera and Crider are, it would be tough to get major minutes ahead of J2, Copes, and Arledge (possibly Marko and Okoloji too). Instead of playing behind those guys for two years, a 2013 guy would play behind them for one year and have three years of PT after. It would be a good selling point for a 2013 guy too because there should be a lot of minutes available beginning their soph year.

Thoughts?
    Good topic. I would guess it would depend on how much talent is out there and how likely we could get that talent. Clearly the pool is much larger if we wait but you always run the risk of injury, transfer, etc this year. I think the coaches also have to determine what our chances are next year and whether the player is really going to see playing time and could add to our team. I am not sure we will be able to nail down a scholly for 2013 anytime soon thus there is at least some risk. I would agree on balance it might be worth the risk given what we have coming back. If we think we would have a good shot at a JC point guard who could play right away, I am not sure I'd wait.

any ideas as to when we can expect a press release from the school confirming Marko's LOI?

I was thinking the same thing. If the paperwork is in there should be no delay. This should have been written some time back and a rapid response is a great way for the fans and Marco to get psyched about his commitment. I keep checking each day and am a bit bewildered if indeed the paperwork has been received.

I just wish with so many people with all of their "sources" can call the GMU PR department and find out why they are witholding an announcement.

They've been good at getting them out soon as of late, but back in the day they would always wait until the end of the signing period before they would release it. They are probably waiting to see if we sign someone else and then sending out one release instead of doing two.

Gunnie--a reasonable explanation although a bit curious in this day and age of instantaneous, electronic news. It's not like they have the added printing, copying and mailing costs to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. gunnie View Post
    While I hate not using all of our scholarships, I think our best option is to hold it for the 2013 class. I have no idea on how this new staff looks at it, but right now in our past two classes we have a 1 in Edwards, a 2 in Holloway, a 3 in Gray, a 4 in Gujanicic, and a 5 in Copes. Nothing against Carrera or Crider, but one more year allows us to 1) evaluate the 5 young guys and see if we need to fill a need if one of them doesn't cut it, 2) if the 5 guys work out go for the best available no matter position, and 3) allows us to bring in a guy who will sit for a year and have a chance to play major minutes as a soph instead of bringing a guy in this year and have them buried on the bench for two years. As good as Carrera and Crider are, it would be tough to get major minutes ahead of J2, Copes, and Arledge (possibly Marko and Okoloji too). Instead of playing behind those guys for two years, a 2013 guy would play behind them for one year and have three years of PT after. It would be a good selling point for a 2013 guy too because there should be a lot of minutes available beginning their soph year.

Thoughts?
    I agree about needing time to evaluate the young guys to see a few of them can cement themselves as must-starts. I also think the current roster is filled with solid basketball players of whom several have an opportunity to step up and be special players. However, the fact that the POY has left the program... is like a neon sign saying "who's going to step up and make this their team?"... No matter how you look at it, its a great situation for internal competiton as well as recruiting material to lure a big fish! Im looking forward to seeing who the next "star(s)" will be.

Men's Basketball Adds Marko Gujanicic to 2012 Signing Class
    http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205419021

Good stuff - welcome Marko!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHQ6xpnahI

NCAA - 1989, 1999, 2001, 2006****, 2008, 2011*
    NIT - 1986*, 2002, 2004**, 2009