HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Default Re: Wood Selig's tenure

UTSA is considered a sleeping giant (kinda like how we view ourselves). The other possible candidates to CUSA suck though. And I don't think a merger is happening regardless of what the Pilot stated, but it's definitely looking more like an alliance will.
    Last edited by smudge12; 04-30-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Utsa fans would probably say the exact same thing about us.

They have a TON of potential playing in Texas, they play their games at the Alamo dome, they hired Larry coker as their head coach (a guy who won a national championship at Miami) and they are growing tremendously.

Writing utsa off is just silly. I'd rather join a conference with them than teams like stony brook and coastal Carolina.

Besides, they'd be on the west side of the new conference, we wouldn't have to worry about them.

But I highly doubt the a-10 move is a possibility. It keeps being put out there by desperate odu fans as a possibility but we are easily 4th in line behind vcu, gmu and butler because we have football and the a-10 hates football.

That's why we have to keep beating this damn drum over and over......it's the cusa/mw superconference or we stick around in the caa until it collapses or a new offshoot of crappy retreads is formed.

To me, there is only one option and if we don't get an invite, we are royally screwed.

And btw, north Texas is also a sleeping giant.

They just built their own brand new, state of the art 30,000 seat stadium. Texas is a football hotbed.....do not underestimate those two schools simply because they haven't done anything yet.

They will......hopefully just like us.

OT: but I sure would hate to be Idaho or New Mexico State...

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=205&f=3864&t=8948210

This quote stuck out:

Frankly the way college football is moving Gonzaga should field a team. They are in a relatively large metro area with out a real home team. It almost seems like all one has to do is be in a large city, establish a football team and "boom" you're in a major conference! Little else seems to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon 2 View Post
    Utsa fans would probably say the exact same thing about us.

They have a TON of potential playing in Texas, they play their games at the Alamo dome, they hired Larry coker as their head coach (a guy who won a national championship at Miami) and they are growing tremendously.

Writing utsa off is just silly. I'd rather join a conference with them than teams like stony brook and coastal Carolina.

Besides, they'd be on the west side of the new conference, we wouldn't have to worry about them.

But I highly doubt the a-10 move is a possibility. It keeps being put out there by desperate odu fans as a possibility but we are easily 4th in line behind vcu, gmu and butler because we have football and the a-10 hates football.

That's why we have to keep beating this damn drum over and over......it's the cusa/mw superconference or we stick around in the caa until it collapses or a new offshoot of crappy retreads is formed.

To me, there is only one option and if we don't get an invite, we are royally screwed.
    They may have potential, but what hae they ever won? What has North Texas ever won? What has Florida International ever won? I understand you might take one for potential and for the market, but all 3? UTSA is joining the CUSA side, not the Mountain West side. Mountain West is looking at Utah State.

I agree with you on Coastal and Stony Brook.

And btw, north Texas is also a sleeping giant.

They just built their own brand new, state of the art 30,000 seat stadium. Texas is a football hotbed.....do not underestimate those two schools simply because they haven't done anything yet.

They will......hopefully just like us.
    Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Houston, UTEP, SMU... Not to mention the Oklahoma and Louisiana schools. By the time it gets down UTSA and North Texas, the recruits just aren't there. Rice can't even make themselves relavent and they have been around.

What have we ever won?

Utsa just restarted football in 2008. Asking what they have won is silly.....and north Texas has been to and won several bowl games, although granted they weren't exactly bcs bowls.

Like I said, you can't attack them for not having won anything when they are a newly formed program just like ourselves.

Utsa would make a fine addition to cusa as we hope odu will.

Quote Originally Posted by EverRespect View Post
    Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Houston, UTEP, SMU... Not to mention the Oklahoma and Louisiana schools. By the time it gets down UTSA and North Texas, the recruits just aren't there. Rice can't even make themselves relavent and they have been around.
    I have to agree with Razor on this. Texas is just a different animal when it comes to football. Rice while a great school, is small, private, and really does not care about its sports (other than baseball).

Quote Originally Posted by EverRespect View Post

Thats just it though, they are hoping to challenge those bcs teams by joining this super conference.

Besides, again, you could say the same thing about odu.

By the time recruits get through UVA, unc, wake, duke, nc state, va tech, Maryland, wvu and Maryland and then get divided up between all the fcs va schools, we wouldn't stand a chance.

You've got to think outside the box on this one.

It's not about what currently exists.....it's about potential.

What have we ever won?

Utsa just restarted football in 2008. Asking what they have won is silly.....and north Texas has been to and won several bowl games, although granted they weren't exactly bcs bowls.

Like I said, you can't attack them for not having won anything when they are a newly formed program just like ourselves.

Utsa would make a fine addition to cusa as we hope odu will.
    I don't recall ever seeing either in the NCAA tournament field, which is what I have to go by, given the football programs are so young (in ODU and UTSA's case anyway).