JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wood Selig's tenure

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman Monarch View Post
    Would if I could, but just don't give a damn.
    That about says it all doesn't it?

IMO, it is shallow and simplistic to assess the quality or value any institution of higher learning primarily on the criteria of whom they paid to speak at commencements.
    To respond to that opinion with retaliatory statements of "fact" regarding things you know absolutely nothing about becomes absurd.

I wear an ODU shirt because I went to school there. You wear a Virginia Tech shirt because you went to Walmart.
    What does Old Dominion football already have over Virginia Tech? ODU is undefeated vs James Madison

womp womp womp

Are we going to overlook that Chuck Norris spoke at Liberty's graduation? I researched this a little more and Liberty gave Chuck Norris an honorary doctorate degree. That's Dr. Chuck Norris to you.

glad to see that tags have made their comeback in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ODUAlum78 View Post
    That about says it all doesn't it?

IMO, it is shallow and simplistic to assess the quality or value any institution of higher learning primarily on the criteria of whom they paid to speak at commencements.
    To respond to that opinion with retaliatory statements of "fact" regarding things you know absolutely nothing about becomes absurd.

Says that I don't care how big your car wash is - that's all. You're the one bragging.

Maybe you have a reading deficiency, but the commencement speakers were a small part of my arguement and I think it's a bit shallow to disregard a majority of a point to make your own.

womp womp

Maybe you have a reading deficiency, but the commencement speakers were a small part of my arguement and I think it's a bit shallow to disregard a majority of a point to make your own.
    But I was only commenting on this:
    If you want to know how adults and successful people view Liberty, take a look at the list of past commencement speakers.
    womp womp
    I guess you are not among the "adults" you referenced.

I wear an ODU shirt because I went to school there. You wear a Virginia Tech shirt because you went to Walmart.
    What does Old Dominion football already have over Virginia Tech? ODU is undefeated vs James Madison

Monarchs athletic director Wood Selig was so concerned about the CAA’s future that he inquired of possible membership in Conference USA, a move that would require a premature upgrade to the Bowl Subdivision for the school’s fledgling football program.
    http://www.dailypress.com/sports/tee...0,462519.story

In this mornings va pilot, there is a snipet that says "Texas San Antonio is joining conference USA ahead of it's PLANNED MERGER with the mountain west.

That's really a surprise, because some really really really really smart odu posters, including one t-drain, have said that the mw/cusa merger is dead.

Man, we have some really smart fans don't we???

Ps, in the article, it also says the league is planning on having twenty four schools.

It's now or never. We need to be one of those 24 schools or we will be forced to join the sh.TTY mac, the sunbelt or god forbid, stay in the fcs until a new crappy conference with caa retreads and a few scragglers creates an even crappier new fcs conference.

We join that conference, get the hell out of this dying league and make something of ourselves or we regress big time. Those are literally the only two choices.

Thank god those dunces over at monarch nation don't see this as a big deal. I mean really, what would we ever do without the amazing analysis these geniuses provide.

And yes, odu true blue, you are on those "geniuses". Time to call it like it is. Wood is now scrambling despite the fact that this has been coming for quite some time.

Again......we cannot freaking wait until we are "ready". We either go now or we stay in a crappy league that is falling apart before our very eyes and go down with the sinking ship.

Wood better be on the phone night and damn day with this new conference trying to get in. If he's not, we need to find a new ad. Period. We aren't in a position of power. We need to get in this conference or we could be screwed for decades.

And if you don't see it.....you don't know much about sports. Monarch nation is exhibit a.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon 2 View Post
    In this mornings va pilot, there is a snipet that says "Texas San Antonio is joining conference USA ahead of it's PLANNED MERGER with the mountain west.

That's really a surprise, because some really really really really smart odu posters, including one t-drain, have said that the mw/cusa merger is dead.

Man, we have some really smart fans don't we???

Ps, in the article, it also says the league is planning on having twenty four schools.

It's now or never. We need to be one of those 24 schools or we will be forced to join the sh.TTY mac, the sunbelt or god forbid, stay in the fcs until a new crappy conference with caa retreads and a few scragglers creates an even crappier new fcs conference.

We join that conference, get the hell out of this dying league and make something of ourselves or we regress big time. Those are literally the only two choices.

Thank god those dunces over at monarch nation don't see this as a big deal. I mean really, what would we ever do without the amazing analysis these geniuses provide.

And yes, odu true blue, you are on those "geniuses". Time to call it like it is. Wood is now scrambling despite the fact that this has been coming for quite some time.

Again......we cannot freaking wait until we are "ready". We either go now or we stay in a crappy league that is falling apart before our very eyes and go down with the sinking ship.

Wood better be on the phone night and damn day with this new conference trying to get in. If he's not, we need to find a new ad. Period. We aren't in a position of power. We need to get in this conference or we could be screwed for decades.

And if you don't see it.....you don't know much about sports. Monarch nation is exhibit a.
    It is really depressing they are adding this school and looking at North Texas and Florida International. Weakens the conference greatly and makes me not even want to join. CUSA adding UTSA is like the CAA adding Longwood or Radford. The Mountain West side is pretty bad ass, but I the CUSA is getting very weak and i would depend on how the merger/alliance works. I'm not interested in a new conference with CAA retreads either, but if a new conference were to emerge with Marshall, ECU, UAB, and Southern Miss, I'm not sure including Delaware and JMU would be any worse than UTSA and North Texas.

Frankly, I am starting to lean toward getting into the A10 and just staying in FCS/CAA football given the direction CUSA is taking. The A10 should have a spot open now that VCU can't afford to join.

The most important priority right now should be securing a long term home for football. Out of all of the conference scenarios, the MAC seems the absolute most stable for football. The Sunbelt is just not a competitive league and has the worst bowl tie ins in FBS. I think the A-10 for Olympic sports and MAC for football would be a good alternative to CUSA for the near future.

Starting a new conference just isn't realistic, and I frankly don't see what type of bowl tie-ins there would be (if any). Way too many obstacles to start something new and it would be a long time before the conference is even mildly competitive. And if this were the case, we would of heard something by now with most TV negotiations starting in about 2 years. It just looks like a nonstarter.
    Last edited by officeguy; 04-30-2012 at 08:23 AM.