HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Default Wood Selig's tenure

has been marked by failure. Sorry guys, I said it when he was hired and I think it's fair to say it again now. He's done a pretty terrible job thus far. I said when he was hired I was skeptical because if you asked the people at his previous school, Western Kentucky, about the job he did there it was pretty much all negative.

Now, here are the facts of where we are at as a school.

The basketball program is on a decline. Last year was pretty mediocre all around and next year will only be worse. Then when you add in the Bazemore scandal and the complete lack of control shown by the higher ups, you really start to question what is going on.

Secondly, his hire of Barefoot and his handling of the Wendy situation was a complete debacle. Just a catastrophe all around. Many of us thought Liebermann was the right hire and it is now looking like that was the case. We will see how it plays out but consider me unimpressed.

Now, the hire of our current baseball coach looks like another disaster. 10-20??? We were picked to finish 3rd! We didn't lose that much freaking talent from last year. Wood hired his buddy away from Western Kentucky and so far it looks like a terrible hire. I know, I know, we need to give him time. But so far I am thoroughly underwhelmed by the hire.

You can also point to the handling of the Big Blue Club, some of the shortcuts that have been made there with the beer etc. as further proof that he just doesn't get it.

Right now, this is about as bad as our athletic department has EVER looked. There is a scandal with the men's basketball team. The two most recent hires by Wood have been complete failures thus far.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget the biggest debacle of all, we are sitting on our asses while the CAA falls apart around us. Ga State is moving on to the Sunbelt. VCU and GMU are looking to move to the A-10. Meanwhile, we haven't heard a freaking word about what OUR plan is and then we go and vote to RAISE the exit fee for the CAA.

Are you serious??? Are we really not planning on leaving the CAA to go FBS in football?? Maybe we are just going to wait for the CAA to completely fall apart and then we can get out without having to pay any money......is that the plan?

Now.....for those who disagree with me.......please, tell me WHY. Tell me what you think Wood has done RIGHT. Tell me why you think the job he has done thus far is acceptable. The men's basketball team is as bad as it's been since Blaine got here and is embroiled in scandal. The baseball and women's basketball hires have been pretty bad. The penny pinching with Big Blue (sorry, ODAF) has been embarrassing. Meanwhile, our CAA brethren are all looking for the big move and we are sitting on our asses.

Why are more people not up in arms about this??? Seriously? How is anything that has happened thus far under Wood's tenure acceptable to you?

Default Re: Wood Selig's tenure

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon 2 View Post
    has been marked by failure. Sorry guys, I said it when he was hired and I think it's fair to say it again now. He's done a pretty terrible job thus far. I said when he was hired I was skeptical because if you asked the people at his previous school, Western Kentucky, about the job he did there it was pretty much all negative.

Now, here are the facts of where we are at as a school.

The basketball program is on a decline. Last year was pretty mediocre all around and next year will only be worse. Then when you add in the Bazemore scandal and the complete lack of control shown by the higher ups, you really start to question what is going on.

Secondly, his hire of Barefoot and his handling of the Wendy situation was a complete debacle. Just a catastrophe all around. Many of us thought Liebermann was the right hire and it is now looking like that was the case. We will see how it plays out but consider me unimpressed.

Now, the hire of our current baseball coach looks like another disaster. 10-20??? We were picked to finish 3rd! We didn't lose that much freaking talent from last year. Wood hired his buddy away from Western Kentucky and so far it looks like a terrible hire. I know, I know, we need to give him time. But so far I am thoroughly underwhelmed by the hire.

You can also point to the handling of the Big Blue Club, some of the shortcuts that have been made there with the beer etc. as further proof that he just doesn't get it.

Right now, this is about as bad as our athletic department has EVER looked. There is a scandal with the men's basketball team. The two most recent hires by Wood have been complete failures thus far.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget the biggest debacle of all, we are sitting on our asses while the CAA falls apart around us. Ga State is moving on to the Sunbelt. VCU and GMU are looking to move to the A-10. Meanwhile, we haven't heard a freaking word about what OUR plan is and then we go and vote to RAISE the exit fee for the CAA.

Are you serious??? Are we really not planning on leaving the CAA to go FBS in football?? Maybe we are just going to wait for the CAA to completely fall apart and then we can get out without having to pay any money......is that the plan?

Now.....for those who disagree with me.......please, tell me WHY. Tell me what you think Wood has done RIGHT. Tell me why you think the job he has done thus far is acceptable. The men's basketball team is as bad as it's been since Blaine got here and is embroiled in scandal. The baseball and women's basketball hires have been pretty bad. The penny pinching with Big Blue (sorry, ODAF) has been embarrassing. Meanwhile, our CAA brethren are all looking for the big move and we are sitting on our asses.

Why are more people not up in arms about this??? Seriously? How is anything that has happened thus far under Wood's tenure acceptable to you?
    You left out the Field Hockey coaching situation.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce\My Documents\My Pictures\old-dominion.button.png

Quote Originally Posted by TheDancinMonarch View Post
    You left out the Field Hockey coaching situation.
    The women's basketball program was one thing, but the field hockey situation is something else. I mean we have (had) the most elite field hockey program in the NCAA and incredible success the past two seasons, and the guys runs her out, and then tries to get her back afterwards...I do not see how this man even has a job -- it's like if Tennessee tried to run Pat Summit or Duke run Coach K away because Beth Andres is very much is at that level; his performance, PR, and handling of ODU Athletics has been reckless, consistently embarrassing for the University, and damaging towards the success that has been established at ODU over the decades. It does not take a rocket scientist or "insider" to conclude this either, his tenure has been a complete disaster. Hell if he was actually the one with the idea of the Exit Fee Vote...well we saw how that turned out. Frankly, he was handed a pretty well oiled machine, and has somehow managed to damage our athletic program on so many levels.

But honestly, I take more issue with Broderick than Selig. He is his boss, and his tenure as President has been less than spectacular as far as advancing the university.
    Last edited by officeguy; 04-11-2012 at 02:33 AM.

I'll be very interested to see what some of the Wood backers have to say. Right now though, I'm not sure how anyone can claim with a straight face that he has done a good job so far.

We've had more turmoil in the athletic program in the last 2 to 3 years than we did in the previous 10 to 15 years. Jarrett may not have been the most popular AD, but at least he ran a seemingly tight ship. The lack of leadership in the ODU athletic department right now is astounding and quite frankly, embarrassing.

Hey at least we have the Optima Health Challenge with W&M. Because nothing spells success more for ODU than being better than W&M.

You forgot to mention the debacle of the men's football program. Only made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

And the debacle of the men's football program turning a profit. I mean if that was so easy to do why do only 10 to 15 FCS programs do that? Wood should be fired for making the other 100+ FCS programs look bad.

And don't get me started on the men's soccer team. How many years in a row have they made the NCAA tournament? What an embarrassment!
    If it weren't for Double Standards, Liberals would have no standards at all.

VA Beach Police: Giving Barney Fife a good name!

Illegitimous noncarborundum (donít let the bastards wear you down)

Quote Originally Posted by ODU True Blue View Post
    You forgot to mention the debacle of the men's football program. Only made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

And the debacle of the men's football program turning a profit. I mean if that was so easy to do why do only 10 to 15 FCS programs do that? Wood should be fired for making the other 100+ FCS programs look bad.

And don't get me started on the men's soccer team. How many years in a row have they made the NCAA tournament? What an embarrassment!
    You can't expect anyone to take that post seriously can you?

So wood deserves zero blame for the sh.tty hires he's made in womens basketball or baseball but DOES deserve credit for football and men's soccer, which he's had little to no part in building.

Typical monarch nation garbage. It's always funny to me how the sky is never falling and no one should ever be fired or criticized for anything.

Giving wood credit for the men's freaking soccer team. Unreal.

Football is now the driving force in ODU athletics. Thus if that is the measurement we can all be happy.

You left out his latest hire of the mens basketball coach at WKU who derailed the program. Wood's replacement fired that guy in the midst of a horrible season and his replacement won a NCAA tournament game.

I'm also not a big fan of his version of athletic standards where it is ok if all of our teams are fourth place programs. That needs to be revised. Our basketball programs needs to always be number 1.

Deleted... someone already mentioned it.
    Last edited by EverRespect; 04-11-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Redundant