JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Our future is on the line -- Take Action

Quote Originally Posted by hburg View Post
    If you were to do a mass email, would you mass email the admin, and then in a separate email the BOV, etc.., or would you do those individually?
    I think it comes down to each person's judgment. If you can customize your message to better communication to certain groups of contacts, then do it. How you decide to proceed is matter of personal choice.

If we're successful in flooding their inboxes, then it doesn't matter how you tailor your message. They won't be able to read all of the emails.
    FBS

Personally, I am happy right where we are. Losing Georgia State doesn't change anything for me. I like our rivalries with UD, W&M, ODU, UR in football and GMU, VCU, in basketball. Just remember the old saying, careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

I think a million dollar buyout is ridiculous for a mid-major conference of public institutions. I would be shocked if JMU votes for it. Things are too dynamic in the current environment. Too many schools apparently exploring options. Do unto others before they do unto you.

I can appreciate your effort to make those in power know that some of the fan base wants us to move up and quickly. But, I think they are already exploring all options. By all means, make your personal desires known. I just think it is way more involved than just a desire to move up. Things that the average arm chair fans will never be privy to. These are huge decisions with huge ramifications.
    King George, VA - Birthplace of James Madison and Homeplace of three JMU Hall of Famers; and OJF!

Quote Originally Posted by BSKB 24 View Post
    Personally, I am happy right where we are. Losing Georgia State doesn't change anything for me. I like our rivalries with UD, W&M, ODU, UR in football and GMU, VCU, in basketball. Just remember the old saying, careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I think a million dollar buyout is ridiculous for a mid-major conference of public institutions. I would be shocked if JMU votes for it. Things are too dynamic in the current environment. Too many schools apparently exploring options. Do unto others before they do unto you.I can appreciate your effort to make those in power know that some of the fan base wants us to move up and quickly. But, I think they are already exploring all options. By all means, make your personal desires known. I just think it is way more involved than just a desire to move up. Things that the average arm chair fans will never be privy to. These are huge decisions with huge ramifications.
    I also am not overly anxious to see JMU make a move to the FBS level. There are many issues about the FBS level that I do not like, one in particular being how the post season is outsourced to other organizations who force participating institutions into financial losses.I have no problem being a fan of a program that offers 63 scholarships and has the opportunity to earn an opportunity to participate in the championship every season. I am not intereterested in bowl games.JMU and the athletic department doesn't make their decisions based on my desires (thank goodness). They are much more qualified than I am to formulate plans and make decisions.

Personally, I am happy right where we are. Losing Georgia State doesn't change anything for me. I like our rivalries with UD, W&M, ODU, UR in football and GMU, VCU, in basketball. Just remember the old saying, careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
    I agree with some of what you're saying, especially about Georgia State. The question is, would you still be happy if GMU, VCU, and ODU were to move on? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think VCU and GMU are gone. According to good friend of mine, Shaka Smart hinted at it heavily at this week's VCU basketball event when speaking privately to attendees. Obviously it's not Shaka's decision -- Mickey has hinted at an FBS move for years -- but his statements appear to be consistent with some reports in the media.

So what about ODU? Currently, I think the strength of CAA basketball keeps ODU in the CAA. I also think that ODU will jump to the Sun Belt if the strengths of the two basketball conferences are equalized. They have a history with the Sun Belt, and it would give ODU a foot in the door to FBS before it closes. I know this is pure speculation, but I believe it is a valid concern.

I understand that a lot of people are happy where we are. Unfortunately, "where we are" may not mean the same thing in two years.
    FBS

I think a million dollar buyout is ridiculous for a mid-major conference of public institutions. I would be shocked if JMU votes for it. Things are too dynamic in the current environment. Too many schools apparently exploring options. Do unto others before they do unto you.
    A million dollar exit fee might be a little high for the CAA, but the current $250,000 is very low. I didn't do a lot of research, but here are a few conference exit fees that I did find:

- Summit: $500,000
    - SoCon: $500,000
    - A10: $1,000,000
    FBS

Here's an excellent article that not only applies to ODU but to JMU as well.

http://m.hamptonroads.com/po/db_4134...H6wYYB&rwthr=0

I have little clue what is going on behind the scenes, but I think within 5 years the CAA will look drastically different if it even exists.

I like the current CAA, and i'm sure Big east fans liked their conference. I just sense changes to the CAA will be dramatic sometime between July and 2017. Too many quality schools with their eyes on a swivel - mainly VCU, ODU, GMU.

GSU drew first in the Gun fight but they are not a major player. Once one of the big four draw, hold on to your horses.

;-)

I won't be sending any letters because I don't think it will make much difference. I just hope ODU does not leave without us. That would be damaging. I think VCU and GMU will be joined at the hip for a long time. I hope that is the same case for ODU and JMU.
    JMU, The Pride of VA and Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    A million dollar exit fee might be a little high for the CAA, but the current $250,000 is very low. I didn't do a lot of research, but here are a few conference exit fees that I did find:

- Summit: $500,000
    - SoCon: $500,000
    - A10: $1,000,000
    This is a no win situation. If we are looking to make a move, why on earth would we vote to increase the cost to make the move? If it is meant as a deterrent to keep ODU, VCU or GMU from moving, they aren't going to vote for it, either. If we had a lock step conference and schools were knocking on the door to be a part of the CAA, then it would make sense. But, given the purported environment where schools are looking to protect their own butts by making a move, they won't vote to increase the penalties against themselves for making the move! Oxymoronic.
    King George, VA - Birthplace of James Madison and Homeplace of three JMU Hall of Famers; and OJF!

I worked for a company that wanted to force everyone to sign a tough non-compete contract in an effort to tie them up from moving to other companies. It had the reverse effect and we lost a lot of top people who were forced to make the move right then instead of locking themselves in.

A million dollar exit fee may have the same effect on the CAA. It could hasten the departure of teams.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-...t-the-caa.html

Interesting read. The CAA has been cut out of ESPN's annual "Bracketbuster" weekend due to its NBC TV deal. If VCU and GMU leave the CAA then the CAA will be even further marginalized. I take this as just another storm cloud on the horizon which may threaten the CAA's future strength and marketability as a mid-major conference. The times are certainly changing. The time to do something is now.
    "...reminder not to involve your ACC football program with JMU in any way whatsoever. It will only lead to pain." Fulmer Cupdate 2/9/2011