JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Default Re: Our future is on the line -- Take Action

Quote Originally Posted by BDKJMU View Post
    Even if ODU & Liberty moved up a few years before JMU and signed better classes it wouldn't be automatic that the quality of JMU's recruits would go down very quickly. JMU would still be getting the top of the I-AA recruits, along with some that had offers from non BCS, and 1-2 a season that had offers to BCS. Would have to get a higher % out of state, something that JMU seems to have done the last several years anyway.

How well a I-AA JMU recruited against a I-A ODU or Liberty would depend on several factors:
    -Would ODU or Liberty be in the Slum Belt or C-USA (Are these 2 conference possibilities for them?)
    -Would they be bad non BCS teams, avg, or pretty good?
    1) Liberty would be a Sun Belt team if they moved up. ODU could be either, or could be MAC. Their eyes are on CUSA and they'll only go to the others if it looks like CUSA really doesn't want them after all. I will say that ODU is #1 on the list of ALL FCS teams to go to CUSA directly though, only because of their market. A CUSA ODU will out recruit JMU at least 3/4 of the time.
    2) How will the teams perform? Who knows? The Sun Belt is bad, so either can win a modest amount of games right out of the gate. The CUSA will probably force a couple of sub .500 years for the first 3-5 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukes09 View Post
    Wasn't the sweatervest coaching Youngstown State back then? There's a reason why he eventually made it to Ohio State sidelines.
    Yeah, remember the scandal stuff that surfaced last yr about Tressel's time at YSU. Maybe a reason they were so dominant in the 90s- were cheatin.

The other thing to consider is that not only would ODU and Liberty have a head-to-head advantage, but they would also have about 33% more scholarships to give out each season. The pool of in-state talent available to JMU would dry up at least to some extent.

The sky is not falling, but it's hard to imagine those schools moving on to FBS without negatively impacting JMU.
    FBS

If we were to take all of JMU Virginia's recruits from the past couple of years, divide them up, and give half to Liberty and the other half to ODU....would they become strong Sunbelt teams? Or are I-AA caliber recruits not enough (playing at their preferred positions)? This is the real question.

Once a school moves up, they will have no choice but to expand their recruiting base - and assuming those schools go Sunbelt, it will be to the southern states (following the conference footprint). FYI - on our roster for this past season, I counted 3 guys from the Sunbelt area...2 from NC and 1 from Texas. Our other non-VA recruits are from more northern states (where the Sunbelt is not going to be popular).
    2012 College Football Champions:
    NAIA - Marian University
    DIII - Mount Union
    DII - Valdosta State
    D I-AA - NDSU
    D I-A - NONE

"It's a hostile environment," he said. "Even the band will cuss at you. It's classic, we're warming up and that band is just cursing at us and my guys are looking like, ‘This is the band,'" and I said, ‘Yeah, just wait until you play the team.'"

-UDel football coach K.C. Keeler on playing at JMU

Quote Originally Posted by NH/JMU Saxkow View Post
    If we were to take all of JMU Virginia's recruits from the past couple of years, divide them up, and give half to Liberty and the other half to ODU....would they become strong Sunbelt teams? Or are I-AA caliber recruits not enough (playing at their preferred positions)? This is the real question.

Once a school moves up, they will have no choice but to expand their recruiting base - and assuming those schools go Sunbelt, it will be to the southern states (following the conference footprint). FYI - on our roster for this past season, I counted 3 guys from the Sunbelt area...2 from NC and 1 from Texas. Our other non-VA recruits are from more northern states (where the Sunbelt is not going to be popular).
    I don't think that all of our recruits are FBS quality, but the top half probably are. I don't know that we'll see increased competition for our unrated recruits, but we could see some impact to our ability to bring in 2-star and 3-recruits. Our high-end recruits are definitely MAC/Sun Belt quality.
    FBS

If you increase the number of FBS teams, the number of "FBS caliber" recruits increases as well...the quality just goes down. We could still be at the top of the I-AA recruiting scene, but we'd potentially have a bit lower talent level.

The only problem with staying FCS is that we have an expandable 40+ thousand seat stadium. Does anyone think that 40+ thousand people would be willing to watch the same teams that we have been watching for the past 15 years?

Yes, you can point to IVY league schools and their large football stadiums but they barely fill those things except on certain football games. Is that to say that a 40,000+ seat stadium couldn't be filled in the FCS? No, but I bet it is pretty difficult.

A 40k stadium isn't even a factor for us right now. I see no reason why our admin will okay further expansion of bridgeforth (completing at least a lower level on the Godwin side) without being an FBS program first. We'll need to consistently sell out and meet the 25k capacity for at least 4-5 years consecutively too.

Quote Originally Posted by brizzock View Post
    If you increase the number of FBS teams, the number of "FBS caliber" recruits increases as well...the quality just goes down. We could still be at the top of the I-AA recruiting scene, but we'd potentially have a bit lower talent level.
    While that statement may be true to some extent, it ignores the impact of geography. If ODU, Liberty, App State, Charlotte, and Delaware all move to FBS, the impact to JMU's recruiting is significant, but the impact to North Dakota State's recruiting is minimal. As a result, JMU would be less competitive against other top FCS programs outside of the region.
    FBS

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    While that statement may be true to some extent, it ignores the impact of geography. If ODU, Liberty, App State, Charlotte, and Delaware all move to FBS, the impact to JMU's recruiting is significant, but the impact to North Dakota State's recruiting is minimal. As a result, JMU would be less competitive against other top FCS programs outside of the region.
    How very true.