HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Default Re: UNCW Adds Tyree Graham

Exploited??? They are getting a free or mostly free education (aside from the small number of non schollies) that I had to pay good money for. If anyone gets exploited it's the student fans.
    UNCW - Where beating #1 happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandHawk View Post
    Exploited??? They are getting a free or mostly free education (aside from the small number of non schollies) that I had to pay good money for. If anyone gets exploited it's the student fans.
    Everyone gets exploited by the NCAA. They make billions off these kids and then levy ridiculous rules on them. They can use their likenesses in video games while they're still playing, and however they want to years after the players graduate, without giving them a dime. They allow Reebok and Nike to come in and use them as marketing tools, again, without the players making a dime.

Sure they get free education, but pretending that the NCAA really cares about the "student" part of student-athlete is a mockery. They want to maintain an image of amateurism even when amateurism died long ago. The NCAA is second only to FIFA when it comes to sports-related organizations d***ing people over.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkhoops View Post
    And many industries have non compete clauses. If you sign a contract you should have to honor it. Comparing it to an everyday job is not accurate. Most of us don't have multi year contracts where we work. If you want to compare to people under contract compare it to pro athletes. Can someone who is signed for 3 years just leave after year one because he doesn't like it there?
    It's still a job with an agreed upon contract on both sides. And, not only do these contracts have loopholes for the coaches to be able to leave, but the school has the right to fire a coach at any time before the contract is up.

As far as jobs go, you're right about some clauses. But there's more to it. By working in the state of North Carolina, your employer can fire you for virtually no reason. I've dealt with construction workers for years. And some work on a monthly basis, or just a shutdown and moves on. What the common thread is here is they are all jobs and a livelyhood. Not all jobs have the same terms of employment.
    SHUT UP AND PLAY!!!!

A.K.A. 33Talons

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk Nation 08 View Post
    Everyone gets exploited by the NCAA. They make billions off these kids and then levy ridiculous rules on them. They can use their likenesses in video games while they're still playing, and however they want to years after the players graduate, without giving them a dime. They allow Reebok and Nike to come in and use them as marketing tools, again, without the players making a dime.

Sure they get free education, but pretending that the NCAA really cares about the "student" part of student-athlete is a mockery. They want to maintain an image of amateurism even when amateurism died long ago. The NCAA is second only to FIFA when it comes to sports-related organizations d***ing people over.
    Fair enough, I agree with all of that. I was wrong. In a way, the athletes are exploited.
    UNCW - Where beating #1 happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SEA33HAWK View Post
    As far as jobs go, you're right about some clauses. But there's more to it. By working in the state of North Carolina, your employer can fire you for virtually no reason. I've dealt with construction workers for years. And some work on a monthly basis, or just a shutdown and moves on. What the common thread is here is they are all jobs and a livelyhood. Not all jobs have the same terms of employment.
    Oh trust me i know. Fired many and sat through more unemployment hearings than I can count. My point was is the job hopping is BS. Universities need to do more, like UNCW did with the penalty for leaving to protect themselves.
    At Least our baseball team is nails!

More universities are doing that now. It is the smart way to go. Especially for mid-majors.
    SHUT UP AND PLAY!!!!

A.K.A. 33Talons