JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Exit Fee Vote Next Week

Can anyone confirm that the league will vote to increase this fee to a million or more next week? Rumor is Yeager was on the radio in richmond stating the vote will happen tuesday and they need 2/3 majority. Does this keep mason vcu in caa? do they have votes needed? I would say no unless mason and vcu want to stay. Otherwise I dont think cash strapped programs would do this to themselves when their football teams lose money in I-AA.

Default Re: Exit Fee Vote Next Week

Yeager grasping to keep his job.

Quote Originally Posted by GS II View Post
    Can anyone confirm that the league will vote to increase this fee to a million or more next week?
    I can't confirm other than to state that Litos posted this today as coming from Yeager. So I suppose unless one of us speaks to Yeager, that's as confirmed as things are going to get.

I'm not sure whether this would keep us in the CAA, but if we were going to leave it might certainly speed the decision making process since now the July 1 money deadline is essentially moot.

It sounds like this is the CAA's attempt to force VCU's and Mason's hands. And to force them and us to walk without any distribution money available after July 1. They could always lower the exit fee later.

But if we stay, I am fine with that.
    Last edited by walter_williams; 04-04-2012 at 07:58 PM.
    What could have been . . . (sigh)

Who here will be shocked if the fee magically goes up?

It is not a sure thing that it will get lowered later. I don't see how they get 8 schools to vote for this when the core of the league is looking to bolt. Mason, Vcu to a true bball conf. Odu Jmu seeking I-A football cash. Ga st will not vote for this. The northern schools already hate playing caat in richmond and they may want to move sooner than later.
    Last edited by GS II; 04-04-2012 at 09:03 PM.

I posted this on the GA board:

VCU, GMU and Georgia State will vote no - that's a 100 percent lock. Then you have Hostra and Northeastern who are on the fence as both schools have been rumored to be looking elsewhere for a few years. Then you have JMU and ODU who have football aspirations and could see themselves leaving in a few years. That's 3 definite No's and four other possibilities. I cannot see how this passes.

When is the exit fee assessed? When you announce or when it's effective? Is there any way that GMU, VCU, and/or GSU can announce and/or leave between the vote (if it passes and that's a big if) and the effective date of the new fee and beat the increase. I mean, if the other schools can vote to increase the exit fee at any time and there's no opportunity to leave before a new fee goes into effect, what's to prevent them from jacking the fee way up right before a school leaves and then lowering it?

Update: In the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Yeager claims it would go into effect immediately if passed, which seems really, really stupid to me that 2/3 of the schools can screw other schools like that. Yeager also says the feedback he's received makes him think it will pass. Also, he claims that "some of the strongest proponents of an increase are some of our strongest institutions." I'm guessing either Yeager's talking sh!t or he includes ODU and at least one school that is good in football and crappy in basketball in that list.
    Last edited by GMU_CS_BS_MS; 04-05-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Duh, Winning!

Quote Originally Posted by GMU_CS_BS_MS View Post
    Yeager claims it would go into effect immediately if passed, which seems really, really stupid to me that 2/3 of the schools can screw other schools like that.
    If any school's commitment to the CAA is only posturing & no substance, then a vote on this is appropriate. Change in conference makeup affects more than just the departing schools. Your view is extremely self-centric in this. That's not a bad thing. I wouldn't give a damn about Towson or any other school above mine either. That doesn't mean the other view doesn't have merit.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperDuke View Post
    If any school's commitment to the CAA is only posturing & no substance, then a vote on this is appropriate. Change in conference makeup affects more than just the departing schools. Your view is extremely self-centric in this. That's not a bad thing. I wouldn't give a damn about Towson or any other school above mine either. That doesn't mean the other view doesn't have merit.
    I never said exit fees aren't a good thing in general. My problem is the ability to raise them immediately when it looks like some teams might want to leave. If schools want to raise the exit fees, there should at least be a grace period where schools can decide whether they accept the new restrictions being imposed upon their future leaving and if they don't like them, leave under the old fee within let's say, one year. I have no problem with GMU, VCU, and/or GSU having to pay $250,000 to leave if they choose to do so after next season since that's what they've already agreed to. I have no problem with the fees being raised to $1,000,000 for those that decide to stay for more than 1 year. I do have a problem with raising the fees immediately now that some schools might be leaving because it looks petty trying to shake them down for more cash on their way out the door. If the costs the other schools will bear upon schools leaving have gone up, this should have been addressed previously, not when it looks like schools are ready to bolt.

Duh, Winning!