HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Latrell Scott to JMU?

I liked that guy with the van's free ride. It definitely seemed super-sketchy, but he was hilarious.

I think what Ive got to do now is put myself in a situation to prove to people that Im the same person that Ive always been." Huh?

No Latrell...that's what got you into trouble...twice. You CAN'T be the same person if you expect to move forward.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHYqg...eature=related

"Don't be an idiot son, I can't coach idiots" ~Mickey Matthews

Maybe he can be our on-staff Matt Foley to motivate them into shape.

"Well, Bill Shakespeare, you keep up the alcohol abuse and end up in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER..."

He provides an instant recruiting edge in the state and one that JMU hasn't enjoyed since Chip West left the program.
    1- young black dudes get instant street cred from black recruits.
    2- he has head coaching experience which gives him a better perspective of what it takes to win
    3- he has spent most of his life in the state and has thousands of relationships already in place

I think we'd all prefer that he learned from others' mistakes instead of making them all on his own, but the past can't be changed. IMO, this hire has minimal risk. If the guy has a tragic flaw and gets DUI #3, then he will get terminated and JMU will move on. However, if he improves with age as most of us do, then JMU has a great asset on its staff and the program will flourish even more.
    The best ability is dependability.

Agree with Harpoo on the recruiting aspect:
    -being relatively young black coach.
    -familiarity, ties & relationships throughout the state of VA from growing up in Richmond, VA where he played HS ball, playing at Hampton, being an assistant at among VA schools UR, VMI, UVA, being HC at Richmond for about a yr & a half.
    He had 2 recruiting classes at UR. '10 on paper at least was an outstanding one and '11 was a good one also. (Course the results haven't shown on the field as those are only 1st and 2nd yr players, and with UR now having their 5th HC in 6 seasons, they've lost a lot of players).

From what I've heard & read, he happens to be an excellent coach.

Should he ever be given the opportunity to coach again at the collegiate level? IMHOP Yes.
    Should JMU hire him now? If it hadn't had the issues Dec '10-last month, I would say yes. But with his 2 DUIs, and the issues JMU has had recently, I'm not sure if this is the right time. So I'm on the fence on this one.
    Last edited by BDKJMU; 04-01-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: He played at Hampton, not UR.

Bring him in.

He is moving up in the world. Despite his troubled past, grabbing a Division 3 head coach and adding him to the staff is a good hire.

Marry me, Dolley.

Wonder if Bourne would have to give his ok on this one, or its totally Mickey's call?

Quote Originally Posted by BDKJMU View Post
    Wonder if Bourne would have to give his ok on this one, or its totally Mickey's call?
    The Pres has to sign off on all hires.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHYqg...eature=related

"Don't be an idiot son, I can't coach idiots" ~Mickey Matthews