JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball

Default Baseball

I thought I should start anew thread and devote it to baseball. I had a chance to sit down with coach Russo. He is very engaging and is looking forward to meeting some of the people on this board. Found out that our #1 starter D"Errico is out for about two weeks with elbow problem. They thought is was worse but he should be back after the GA State series. In his place will be Andrew Barbarino. This year even though we have 4 seniors on the roster only 3 we will lose to graduation. The 4th is Perez who is getting a medical redshirt this year. He was our power hitter last year and will return to 3rd base next year. We stole 8 bases against Marsit yesterday and continue to lead the NCAA in stolen bases. We are also now 4th in doubles.
    I spoke to him at length about the improvement to field. Finally be concerns about the distance to the fences are no longer as they moved centerfield back to 400 feet and right center 410. The old distance I had always said was 375 to center but found out it was only 368 feet. We now can recruit pitchers better. He plans on getting more California recruits as he has connections out on the west coast. If you havent seen this team play yet come on out and you will see the way it was meant to be played. Small ball, hit and run and doubles and triple galore.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most!

Default Re: Baseball

Stu, question? Of the 3 seniors we lose how many are starters?

All 3 are starters but one is really a DH. danny Poma our #2 hitter is an infielder. TJ Thomas is an out fielder who bats anywhere from 5th to 6th in the order and our backup catcher. These players can be replace but Poma will be the hardest to do. If we add Perez and others who will step up we should be OK. According to coach Russo we have some nice arms coming in next year to add depth to our staff. Some more kids from California.

Tomorrow Hofstra had a three game series OOC with Delaware state. They have a decent team who already beat Delaware 4-1 earlier in the year. We will be without our #1 starter D'Errico. taking his place will be Andrew Barbarino. I predict we take 2 of 3. if we take all three that would be something. They have decent pitching also.

I wish they would of moved the fences back when I pitched there... a pop fly to right center always had the potential of drifting back back back...(think Chris Berman) on out of the park.

What a tough place to pitch back in the day....

Damon I always said the differnce between Hofstra and the rest of the league was pitching. I spoke to a father whos kid went to Delaware. It was between us and the Hens but when he saw how short the fences where it was no contest. He had told be that right center was as short as 353 feet. Now rightcenter just to the right of centerfield juts out to 410 feet. With the speed on this team we can see at lot a doubles and triples.

Well after losing the first game of the series to Delaware State we come back and even the series at 1-1. The 11-3 win was blostered by Tiedermanns beast outing of the season. freshman jesch looks to take the rubber game tomorrow at 1pm. This Hornet team has beaten Delaware twice this year. I think they have also beaten JMU.

Hey Stu....like what I am hearing....3 key players in yesterdays victory will be back next year....Jackson, Stuart, and Tiedemann....does Russo still have the word "interim" attached to his title? If he adds a couple of transfers they could really have a special team next season, losing only 3 seniors [of the 4 on the roster you mentioned 1 should be back].

Its deju vu as Hofstra beast delaware State by the same 11-3 as yesterday. Score was tied 3-3 going to the top of the 9th and we score 8 runs to put this game away. This was a solid series win 2-1.

two big weekends coming up. ga st and nc wilmington.