JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hewitt to SMU?

Default Re: Hewitt to SMU?

It makes sense for SMU to ask. It doesn't really make sense for Hewitt to take the job.

Quote Originally Posted by JBiggs View Post
    I don't think the majority of us were too thrilled with the hire anyway ...
    Speak for yourself. I can think of maybe five people here who expressed that they weren't thrilled with the hire — several of whom have already come around — but way to throw our coach under the bus for the rest of his Mason career after the rumor turns out to be just that.
    Last edited by TomGMU; 03-23-2012 at 02:21 PM.

There is the lure of Blaise Mbargorba down there as well as other highly touted recruits...For those of you who even think that Hewitt would be here more than 2-3 years would be greatly mistaken. He came here to rebuild his image. He's not our long-term solution. He's here to do his thing, then leave whenever he can go to a higher level.

I don't see Hewitt leaving after 1 year. I know he's getting paid big bucks right now by GT, but isn't his buyout here pretty steep?

Quote Originally Posted by TomGMU View Post
    Speak for yourself. I can think of maybe five people here who expressed that they weren't thrilled with the fire, but way to throw our coach under the bus for the rest of his Mason career after the rumor turns out to be just that.
    Well, Tom, the "rest of his Mason career" might already be over.

Regardless of how I felt about the Hewitt hire initially, I just hope the cycle of crap isn't starting all over again like it did when Barnes went one-and-done at Mason.

Don't want to give Holloway and Marko any excuse whatsoever to start re-thinking their college choice -- not to mention the gazillion young guys I'd really like to keep on the roster.
    Last edited by gmujim92; 03-23-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Sure. I wasn't too thrilled with the hire, but I am withholding any judgment on his performance as a coach here for at least a couple years. If the rumor is a rumor, then I'm glad for him to stay; he's a great guy. If the rumor is not a rumor, then I think it's pretty indecent to flirt with a departure after one season.

Also, I didn't "throw him under the bus" by saying good riddance in the event that he is planning to leave after one season.
    Hey, you guys ready to let the dogs out?

Quote Originally Posted by ashaber View Post
    I don't see Hewitt leaving after 1 year. I know he's getting paid big bucks right now by GT, but isn't his buyout here pretty steep?
    He has a buyout? I honestly didn't know that.

Regardless, it's not gonna be enough to keep him from going to SMU if he really wants to.

Butler already talking up Bill Courtney

@Butler2two
    BC dream job is Mason...one of the best coaches I know.that experience crap means nothing. Look at Coach Smart! Basketball is basketball man
    "You hear players, media people, say that it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people I say: you didn't have the guts to succeed here!" - John Kruk

Quote Originally Posted by gmujim92 View Post
    Don't want to give Holloway and Marko any excuse whatsoever to start re-thinking their college choice -- not to mention the gazillion young guys I'd really like to keep on the roster.
    Exactly. This is one thing I really hate about Twitter and message boards. People can throw out whatever rumors they want with no repercussions whatsoever. I don't doubt for a second that Hewitt's name is going to come up given his past relationship with the former GT AD, but to say he is gone with no evidence to support it creates an uneasiness with our current players, incoming recruits and kids we are going after. Hopefully, Hewitt addresses it one way or the other very quickly like Shaka Smart did.

Quote Originally Posted by illayin View Post
    Butler already talking up Bill Courtney
    I don't disagree with Lamar's sentiments...but sh!t, the current coach hasn't even left and Mason people are throwing out potential replacements?

Here we go again. This is all your fault, old Cuban man.