HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: VCU & GMU to A-10 Speculation

I can't speak for Mason, but what is in the A-10 for VCU?? They play the hoops tourney in Richmond already, what are the pro's of them moving to the A-10??
    elaware Football - another year in the crapper

Quote Originally Posted by bluehenbillk View Post
    I can't speak for Mason, but what is in the A-10 for VCU?? They play the hoops tourney in Richmond already, what are the pro's of them moving to the A-10??
    I'd think one reason is the consistent opportunity for multiple bids (3+ in some years) to the NCAA tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPatriot View Post
    I'd think one reason is the consistent opportunity for multiple bids (3+ in some years) to the NCAA tournament.
    Most years one of those bids goes to Xavier with another going to the now departed Temple. Other teams have been in and out of the tourney depending on the HC and the team.

Quote Originally Posted by The old PF View Post
    Most years one of those bids goes to Xavier with another going to the now departed Temple. Other teams have been in and out of the tourney depending on the HC and the team.
    Which means that there is NOT necessarily always going to be 3+ bids...but they do have a leg up with the RPI game it seems.
    Only three things in this world make me nervous: snakes, un-tuned guitars and red-headed women.

KA's father, circa 1980

What SuperPatriot said. That's the only thing either of us would get out of this. The A-10 isn't consistently better in anything except basketball. If they add Butler, Mason and VCU, and we all continue playing at a high level, the A-16 could potentially see 4 or more bids a year. Their bottom feeders don't weigh the conference down as much as our's do. Other than that, we don't gain a ton. And IMO, it's not as much of a slam dunk move as people think. I prefer staying in an improved CAA.
    #2bids4CAA

Drexel will be dancing.

I also believe that the A-10 is a "make it, take it" league. Meaning, that the teams that go to the tournament keep the money. There is no sharing of funds. If this is indeed true, it would explain why their bottom tier consistently stays at the bottom. This could be quite a hit if GMU and/or VCU hit a nice little streak of 4-5 years of no tournament play.

Another consideration is that the CAA has a far superior tv deal. The CAA has more televised games than the A10 does. I don't think that this is a slam dunk move, it hasn't benefited Charlotte.

No, the A10 shares the winnings, though I think the "winner" gets extra consideration, but I forget the actually numbers. The main reason for VCU and GMU to make the switch is this:

Twenty years of NCAA bids...

A10 4 3 3 3 3 2 2 1 4 3 1 3 3 3 5 5 4 2 3 4
    CAA 1 3 1 1 1 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Total
    A10 – 61
    CAA - 24

If you want to go more recent, at large bids to the NCAA since 2002 season (as that is when UR made the switch)

A10
    18 at-large bids

CAA
    4 at-large bids

Quote Originally Posted by brooklinespider View Post
    No, the A10 shares the winnings, though I think the "winner" gets extra consideration, but I forget the actually numbers. The main reason for VCU and GMU to make the switch is this:

Twenty years of NCAA bids...

A10 4 3 3 3 3 2 2 1 4 3 1 3 3 3 5 5 4 2 3 4
    CAA 1 3 1 1 1 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Total
    A10 61
    CAA - 24

If you want to go more recent, at large bids to the NCAA since 2002 season (as that is when UR made the switch)

A10
    18 at-large bids

CAA
    4 at-large bids
    Ding Ding Ding! And by unanimous decision the winner is...

Quote Originally Posted by ReturntoGlory View Post
    I also believe that the A-10 is a "make it, take it" league. Meaning, that the teams that go to the tournament keep the money. There is no sharing of funds. If this is indeed true, it would explain why their bottom tier consistently stays at the bottom. This could be quite a hit if GMU and/or VCU hit a nice little streak of 4-5 years of no tournament play.
    This is not true.