JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: What The DAC Could Be... Check Out Walsh Gym At Seton Hall

Quote Originally Posted by jmo34 View Post
    I am fine with it being the Athletic Department and the Blue & Gold Club starting it, as long as it's campus-wide, and they are able to speak on behalf of the university in press releases. So it sounds like you and I are on the same page, except I don't think this will take 30 years (I'm much more optimistic). Welcome to the team, BMF!
    The project needs a major donor. They are out there. They need to see traction before they will write a check. Does the BNGC need to raise the capital required to fund the project? No. Do we need to "tangibly" show that alumni support this program? Yes.

Again, look at the DAC Pack as an analogy. Pre DAC Pack, you really couldn't quantify or qualify student support/pride/spirit. As such, no "investor" was going to step up and fund any initiatives related to student support for basketball, without any proof that kids did/would care. Then the guys started the DAC Pack, and as it grew over the years, the people with the ability to invest did. Their return on investment is largely not rooted in dollars and cents, but in exposure, pride, goodwill etc. (all the same things we are saying about the arena).
    "No one, and I mean no one, comes into our house, and pushes us around."

Quote Originally Posted by DuBirdsFan View Post
    The project needs a major donor. They are out there. They need to see traction before they will write a check. Does the BNGC need to raise the capital required to fund the project? No. Do we need to "tangibly" show that alumni support this program? Yes.

Again, look at the DAC Pack as an analogy. Pre DAC Pack, you really couldn't quantify or qualify student support/pride/spirit. As such, no "investor" was going to step up and fund any initiatives related to student support for basketball, without any proof that kids did/would care. Then the guys started the DAC Pack, and as it grew over the years, the people with the ability to invest did. Their return on investment is largely not rooted in dollars and cents, but in exposure, pride, goodwill etc. (all the same things we are saying about the arena).
    I completely agree with you. Exactly what I am describing is all about creating traction. This project needs some sort of support from donor(s) with large cash OR corporate sponsorship, but it can start and get it's traction by Drexel/Athletic Department/Dac Pack/BNG Club getting on the same page, getting serious about it, making it a priority, and starting to collect. I honestly think that if a mailer was sent out to every Drexel alumni specifically about an arena (with full renderings, plans in the works, fundraising, etc.) and a way to donate specifically to that, and a website to see the progress, I think we'd be surprised at the results of what people would give, especially if we could do it now while people are still excited about Drexel's run, March madness, and the anticipation for next year.

I was a student when the Armory was first proposed. I graduated 8 years ago. By now, I've just given up on the arena. The only way I see it happening is if the hand is forced by sellout after sellout after sellout.
    2009 CAA Women's Basketball Champs
    24-9

I completely agree with you. Exactly what I am describing is all about creating traction. This project needs some sort of support from donor(s) with large cash OR corporate sponsorship, but it can start and get it's traction by Drexel/Athletic Department/Dac Pack/BNG Club getting on the same page, getting serious about it, making it a priority, and starting to collect. I honestly think that if a mailer was sent out to every Drexel alumni specifically about an arena (with full renderings, plans in the works, fundraising, etc.) and a way to donate specifically to that, and a website to see the progress, I think we'd be surprised at the results of what people would give, especially if we could do it now while people are still excited about Drexel's run, March madness, and the anticipation for next year.
    I have never given Drexel any money, aside from the $100,000 for my education, but if I received a mailer asking for donations aimed specifically at upgrading the sports' facilities I would gladly open up my check book. That's the only way they're getting money out of me.

However I do believe the university at large should put up funding too, successful athletics can lead to more donations for all aspects of the school - case in point the huge uptick in donations to VCU in the last year. It's a worthy investment in my opinion.

I honestly think that if a mailer was sent out to every Drexel alumni specifically about an arena (with full renderings, plans in the works, fundraising, etc.) and a way to donate specifically to that, and a website to see the progress, I think we'd be surprised at the results of what people would give, especially if we could do it now while people are still excited about Drexel's run, March madness, and the anticipation for next year.
    Well if you're discussing more of a grassroots movement than the large donor route, it would take all 100,000 or so Drexel alumni in existance donating $500 each to raise the money. What are your goals in the amount of people you'd like to see make a donation? What is the amount of money you'd expect a casual basketball fan to donate? Mailers are a hard way to collect the type of funds you're talking about.

DEFEND THE DAC

From my sophomore year, here is when I first learned of the Armory project:
    http://www.drexel.edu/univrel/drexel...86&vol=9&num=4
    I thought from the first renderings that it looked like it would turn out to be an awesome place to watch a game. The problem then became that the country was involved in two major conflicts which made it difficult to relocate the National Guard Division based in it. From what I recall, there seemed to be a great deal of anticipation of the project, but as the years moved on and no new information was released to the public all of that momentum dried up. I don't even think that the administration openly came out and said that the whole thing was off, it was more gleaned by passing comments in various Triangle articles. As a student at the time, obviously I didn't have any disposable income to make any contribution to a new basketball facility. Now, almost 6 years out, I do, but besides some contributions to the General Fund and three years of season tickets, I have not given anything to the Athletic Department. My reasoning, and my guess is I'm not alone, is that I just haven't been able to grasp where the program is heading. I like our conference, like the coaching staff (though they have been known to illicit emotional outbursts) and love the team, but the spectre of conference realignment while knowing that we have inadequate facilities to help determine where we end up worries me. I just need some concrete plan for the future that I can feel confident in supporting.

Please do continue posting here: https://drexelmasterplan.wordpress.c...utive-summary/. It takes some time to get your comment approved, but a whole round of them were approved this morning.
    I am doing my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan of the Year View Post
    I was a student when the Armory was first proposed. I graduated 8 years ago. By now, I've just given up on the arena. The only way I see it happening is if the hand is forced by sellout after sellout after sellout.
    Sad but true. Obviously the administration is going to do absolutely nothing to help either.

That original rendering makes me sad. It looked so perfect I remember when I first saw it, I thought it'll never look like that. That's my other problem. Even if something ever does get done, it won't get done right.
    2009 CAA Women's Basketball Champs
    24-9

I hear ya, actually now reading that article, instead of just grabbing it for the picture, it says that the Sen. Santorum is the one responsible for suggesting the idea. Maybe if he becomes POTUS we would have a chance.....

Out of curiosity, how much do you think would need to be raised at a grassroots level before some larger donors would start to sign up? Just pulling numbers out of the air, suppose you set 5,000 as a goal to pledge:
    2000 - $500
    1500 - $1000
    750 - $2500
    500 - $5000
    250 - $10000

That is $9.375 million if you hit each goal for each pledge level. Obviously, if you went over your goal it would be more and vice-versa. Would that be enough to start pulling in some larger donations with the goal of grabbing that lead donor at $20-25 million once enough support has been demonstrated?

Edit: Obviously the school would have to commit to some of the funding also.
    Last edited by DrachenFire; 03-22-2012 at 04:59 PM.