JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: CAA Ref Jerry Heater

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tribe View Post
    I believe lots of the coach-referee situations develop today because coaches are allowed to roam the bench area, many times actually being on the court and shouting/coaching while tramping up and down this area.

If they confined the coach to sitting/standing at their chair, as they did decades ago, you'd have lots less
    problems.
    As a HS referee myself, I can certainly attest to this statement as fact. If coaches were seated like they were until the late 90's, we likely wouldn't hear a lot of the stuff we do hear as well as having the coach follow us up and down the sideline. At the high school level, a lot of us use T's as a preventative measure. If a coach gets on our nerves, we'll T 'em up and they have to sit for the rest of the game. That usually shuts them up, especially because ejection leads to suspension and a fine for the school (at least in Florida). But coaches nowadays have waaaaaayyyyyy too much leeway in letting their opinions be heard, including during timeouts. I'm kinda surprised that these type of incidents haven't happened more often.

That said, no ref should ever talk like that to a coach. Yes, if you're getting yapped at constantly, it can drive you over the edge but it's not worth it to talk to a coach like that or act the way Karl Hess does.

As a further aside, after watching all or parts of 48 tournament games these last 4 days, the officiating now is average at the very best. Every time there's contact on a drive, it's a charge. By my wild estimation, I'd say they got it right about 60-70% of the time. Yes, kids are being taught better on how to take a charge but refs are giving them waaaayyyy too much credit.
    From 1-10 to Frisco in 4 years. What a tremendous ride this football team has given us.

Then you have coaches who live on the court. Bruiser and Hunter are really good at it. Blaine was on one good leg at Mason and on the court when the action was in the other court even. If the play came back his way quickly, he couldn't have gotten out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by The old PF View Post
    Then you have coaches who live on the court. Bruiser and Hunter are really good at it. Blaine was on one good leg at Mason and on the court when the action was in the other court even. If the play came back his way quickly, he couldn't have gotten out of the way.
    The "coach on the court" topic cannot be discussed without mentioning Shaka. I am aware that I risk getting banned for life for daring to offend the Shaka worshipers but that dude is the worst. He is rarely OFF the court. That includes when the players are on his end of the court. I know the guy is a 2 year legend to VCU fans but he is by far the worst offender. He needs to be tamed.

I forget which game it was this season, but we saw Shaka literally push one of his players into the correct defensive position during play.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer82 View Post
    The "coach on the court" topic cannot be discussed without mentioning Shaka. I am aware that I risk getting banned for life for daring to offend the Shaka worshipers but that dude is the worst. He is rarely OFF the court. That includes when the players are on his end of the court. I know the guy is a 2 year legend to VCU fans but he is by far the worst offender. He needs to be tamed.
    He also does it, it's also classic when coaches have to be restrained when the opposing team is in bounding the ball in front of their benches.

Two years ago Drexel played at W&M in which the Tribe outplayed and defeated Drexel. Almost needless to say, Bruiser was in a storm most of the game, on and off the court as he went up and down the bench area shouting right in the faces of the players on the court.

He finally drew a technical foul when David Schneider was bumped (unintionally I add quickly) when he dribbled the ball past the Drexel bench just as Brusier whirled on to the court for whatever reason.

The ball went out of bounds--no technical was called but the refs had Schneider take the ball out of bounds.

So here was a case where a coach on the floor actually interfered with a game!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tribe View Post
    He finally drew a technical foul when David Schneider was bumped (unintionally I add quickly) when he dribbled the ball past the Drexel bench just as Brusier whirled on to the court for whatever reason.

The ball went out of bounds--no technical was called but the refs had Schneider take the ball out of bounds.

So here was a case where a coach on the floor actually interfered with a game!
    I think I'm confused!
    I dream for the day when a chicken can cross the road and not be questioned about its motives for doing so.

So am I. If a coach or any player on the bench interferes with a play its an automatic tech. I once saw a game where the opposing player went after a ball that went out of bounds near the bench. As he went out of bounds he was clock by a bench player. A tech was double tech was called on the player and he was ejected from the game. I know refs need to take control of the game but some do go over board. Still its always worth the price of admission to see Bruiser do his thing on the court. I know lets have a rope attached to these coaches they can only go so far. Either that or put collars on them so if they step on the court a jolt of electricity goes thru their body.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most!

Sorry for the confusion. There was a technical called on the Bruiser, but he was so chagrined at bumping into Schneider he ran over to David, apologized, and sat down without a word of protest. Actually got a hand from the Tribe students
    who had been chanting "Bruiser"all night. It turned out to be amusing and not a big deal.

I'm not picking on him...actually he's a great coach and puts on a show. But it does indicate the way things around the bench area have gotten so out of whack with coaches allowed to roam the bench area, intrude on the court, and all the
    while ranting and raving at their players and the refs.

That's a cop out. Refs and Umps should never become the show and that is the real issue

Prettiest Ginormous Stadium in America

GSU To FBS Today!!!!!!!!!