JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dimitrije Cabarkapa

Quote Originally Posted by BSKB 24 View Post
    Until he shows that he can recruit CAA level talent, people will remain skeptical. So far, he hasn't done that. I do like your positive attitude, however.
    Sorry, but this statement has been made by multiple people and is an exaggeration in my opinion. Are you trying to say Andrey, Julius, Devon, Enoch, Chad Jackson, Darren White, etc etc etc are not CAA level talent???

Just because they arent 1st team doesnt mean they arent CAA level talent. I agree we need to do better if we want to be a top 4 program but lets not throw these guys under the bus...

Quote Originally Posted by DolleyMadison View Post
    Sorry, but this statement has been made by multiple people and is an exaggeration in my opinion. Are you trying to say Andrey, Julius, Devon, Enoch, Chad Jackson, Darren White, etc etc etc are not CAA level talent???

Just because they arent 1st team doesnt mean they arent CAA level talent. I agree we need to do better if we want to be a top 4 program but lets not throw these guys under the bus...
    Of those who stayed, they are obviously 8th place talent! The CAA was denied a second team in the NCAAs partly because the bottom half of our league was so poor. When I say we haven't recruited CAA talent, I am talking about a Kent Bazemore, Ryan Pearson, Brandon Burgess level player. I hope this kid from Serbia turns out to be a real player. Time will tell. History however would indicate otherwise. But, there is hope.
    King George, VA - Birthplace of James Madison and Homeplace of three JMU Hall of Famers; and OJF!

Of those who stayed, they are obviously 8th place talent! The CAA was denied a second team in the NCAAs partly because the bottom half of our league was so poor. When I say we haven't recruited CAA talent, I am talking about a Kent Bazemore, Ryan Pearson, Brandon Burgess level player. I hope this kid from Serbia turns out to be a real player. Time will tell. History however would indicate otherwise. But, there is hope.
    Hence my comment that the statement "he doesnt bring in CAA level talent" is unfair. Those guys come from programs with multiple NCAA appearances and two final four appearances. That would be similar to someone being upset we arent bringing in ACC talent in football. The reality is, we havent been to the NCAAs in 15+ years and have only recently had any success in basketball. Our recruits are CAA level...

Dukes84
    "I think there's an overt hatred of Brady simmering (not under the surface, mind you), coupled with a general lack of confidence by the JMU faithful. We can get this thing turned around, and it might be as early as next season."

Remember, 70% in the poll thought he should be fired. I am sure there will be some who don't accept the fact that he was retained. You were solidly in his camp to be retained and extended. Until he shows that he can recruit CAA level talent, people will remain skeptical. So far, he hasn't done that. I do like your positive attitude, however.
    You know, nobody talks about the success Brady had last year, his third year.** Remember, last year the CAA had a final 4 team and 2 at larges.* ODU, who should have beaten Butler(played in the finals) *and GMU, who beat Villanova in the 1st round.** This caa is way better than that of the late 80s and 90s.
    10-8 in the CAA 6th
    RPI of 90
    21-10 overall
    Beat some quality teams
    -********* Princeton rpi 45
    -********* Won at VCU final 4
    -********* Bucknell rpi 68
    -********* Marshall* - rpi 72
    -********* Beat Drexel twice * rpi 68
    -********* Won at Kent state rpi 64
    -********* Close loss to GMU at JMU, lost by 2,
    -********* Close loss to VCU at JMU, should have won that, tough ref calls down the stretch

I would say we have caa talent. Maybe not top 4 caa talent, but unfair to say we don't have caa talent

After watching the "trenning" video it's hard to argue that the guy has some skills and a decent first step for a guy his size. It's also refreshing to see a 6'9" recruit who isn't 154 pounds coming to JMU.

That being said, you could make my grandma look like Jordan on YouTube and one thing this guy isn't is explosive (not sure if that will matter or not at JMU).

After having watched the "Utakmica 2" video all my previous thoughts on the guy went out the window. Holy $#!T, that was the worst defense I have ever seen a team play at any level of any sport. The dark blue team made Denzel Bowles look like an all world defender. Which leads me to believe that "Utakmica 2" must be Serbian for "practice session vs. JV squad who were paid off to make me look good for YouTube video".

I think this guy has a role to play on our team but I'm still waiting for that Rob Strickland type player. A 6'11" 250 pound post defender/shot blocker would be nice. We need to be able to stop the other team's bigs.
    Thank you Matt Brady and the young men of the 2013 MBB team. Curse of Lefty...exorcised. Demons OUT!!!

is he related to Zarko Cabarkapa (the former suns/warriors player)?

they look a bit alike

Quote Originally Posted by JMUPride View Post
    is he related to Zarko Cabarkapa (the former suns/warriors player)?

they look a bit alike
    here is an article with several videos of Zarko. I think I read somewhere theat they were related. http://www.thenolookpass.com/2010/03...rko-cabarkapa/
    Last edited by hburg; 03-15-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Just for kicks, and this has been done recently in another thread, I'll see if I can re-construct his recruiting classes from memory (may be off a bit).

Year 1 - Moore, Semenov, Wells, Brown, Bowles (came after first semester)
    Year 2 - White, Flores, Diouf, Beard
    Year 3 - Goins, Millen, Davis (had to sit out), Hitchens (eligible immediately), Jackson
    Year 4 - Swindle (eligible immediately), Hood, Pittman, Marks
    Year 5 - Curry, Cooke, Nation and Cabarkapa

Guys that never got on the court: Millen and Beard
    Guys that played one year and transferred: White, Jackson
    Guys that were on the team for two years and transferred: Brown (redshirted first year)
    Guys that were on the team for 2.5 years and transferred: Flores

Guys that got hurt and missed major portions of seasons or ill health impacted seasons: James, Jalloh, Thornton, Moore (twice), Goins, Semenov (twice), Wells

He's missed on three guys that I can see; otherwise players have been CAA caliber. He's also had an inordinate amount of bad luck.

Prior to last season when he thought his job was fairly stable, he said that the incoming freshman class of Pittman, Marks and Hood was a good one; i.e., all could eventually be starters on good CAA teams. We'll have to see on that....too early to tell. He also said that the class behind that one was a great one. I'm excited to see that class. It holds a lot of promise and is an important one. Let's hope it works out.

Beard can also be grouped with the injured/ill grouping, as his heart did not allow him to ever suit up. Was supposedly a terrific athlete and had good size at 6-7.

Brady has one year to prove to everyone that his lack of success can be attributed to the injuries his teams sustained in year two and four. As I said before, I like that 7 out of the last 8 recruits have/will have four years of eligibility. I hope the red shirt year with Pittman will pay off big time.

With this recent recruit, JMU will have five big men on next years roster. Semenov will finally be able to play the 3 where he belongs. If Pittman or Swindle can be a back to the basket eight point a game scorer, play good post defense and rebound, JMU has enough perimeter weapons to score points and win games. This guy and Goins will be solid 4s. If this guy can pull his man out to the 3 point line, that should open things for guard penetration and easy baskets for Swindle/Pittman.

Think about this. We will have a 6' 10" or 6' 11" center, 6' 8" & 6' 9" power forwards, 6' 7" Semenov and 6' 6" Goins. If all of these guys can play at a CAA level (not all CAA level), then I like JMU's chances to be better than .500 in the conference. When has Brady had this type of size during his four years at JMU?

Brady has always recruited good guards so I have to assume the latest recruits are good. Marks showed signs last year but he needs to take his game to the next level. Moore needs to get healthy, gain some weight and strength. David needs to get his head out of his a$$ and be the player he can be.

I have hope for next year. If the Dukes are playing well as February rolls around, then I say extend Matt and take the diversion off the players shoulders. If they continue to struggle, get a head start on the coaching search.