JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Let the fur fly, gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Polito View Post
    oh and as far as struggling in the A10, lol, we struggle in the CAA so what's the big deal?!?! I would sure as hell rather struggle against the A10 programs than the CAA!!

at least those games would be better rivalries and most DEF attract more attention around here and bring in more fans

no one, not even the VA 3, can deny that FOR HU playing more northeast programs like UMass, URI, FU, St. Joes, etc. would do wonders for attendance and newspaper ink

alas, A10 is likely not realistic, so I digress...
    You think the CAA is tough? Try the A-10 in January and February. The CAA might be tougher/better at the top with VA schools most years, but the A-10 is deeper. There are fewer chances to beat up on a Towson or UNCW at home in the A-10. We would face an even more difficult task making the NCAA tourney out of the A-10 because we'd have trouble raising our conference record to the point where the committee would even take notice, reagardless of what we did OOC.

As for ink and crowds, you've see our building for twelve years now. The only time we get attendance and ink on a regualr basis is when we win.
    Last edited by Proud Pride Fan; 03-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hualum View Post
    as one of the old men who remembers the ECC.
    1- i think we left the AE "too soon" we were not ready and COULD have made ourselves a dominant team and stronger before the move to th CAA.
    You're not alone, I used to attend games at the PFC when we were in the ECC.

The AE is playing tonight in a play-in game, for the right to get trounced by North Carolina. No thanks.

2- We will NEVER win the CAA Tournament- has nothing to do with coaching, players, etc. That thing is set up to send a school from Virginia to the NCAA's. The only way we make it out of CAA is with an At-large-
    Never? How did Drexel (a very reasonable masuring stick for us) come within a missed three at the buzzer and a couple of blown layups they should have made in the final 90 seconds from winning it? You're talking as if they lost by 40.

3- I have been saying for 3 years we belong in the MAAC. is it a weaker conference? now...yes. Iona is a good team, we will be too. EVERYTHING is so much closer. We'd have a shot.
    And, we can get a play-in game as a 14 seed, or if we're really lucky, a 15 seed and be one-and-done. Woo hoo.

Remember Polito, Pecora can try and block us from getting into the A-10. If we do get into the A-10 I wonder what type of reception Pecora will get at the Mack.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    That isn't a crazy thought. Part of the reason the MAAC really wants La Salle is for the Philly market. Still, I know they would prefer La Salle to Drexel.

And to JoeCool, I have no clue what Hofstra's next move is. I could definitely see us doing absolutely nothing.
    I have been reading all of these posts and wanted to respectfully offer some thoughts.
    As far as Hofstra competing in the A-10, Saint Louis University while a good team and having a great year in the A-10 has struggled in the past. They moved into the A-10. Their facility in STL is incredible.
    A huge arena and that is a huge asset. Hofstra is just as good as SLU. The Fordham/Pecora component is tricky. Fordham is at the bottom of the A-10. Fordham's facility is a joke. There is a lot buzz in the Midwest press and STL newspapers, that SLU and Xavier and Dayton want another Midwestern team like a Butler perhaps. The problem with that is travel expenses and markets TV and radio. Saint Louis is a small market compared to Nassau County where Hofstra is. There is also a feeling that the A-10 should remain a powerhouse and add a more competitive member. When I was attending a Big 12 game, when asked about where I went to school - I said Hofstra and the person said what the hell happened there? He was speaking of football and the 2006 NCAA mens's bb snub and said that he remembered the Hofstra/Kansas mens bb game and the ability of Hofstra. He said why the hell are you playing mens bb games at SUNY Farmingdale? He stated the obvious that without football - the CAA is a waste for Hofstra and he told me why -- as many have stated before the CAA is rigged for a Virginia/Southern school. He also stated that cutting football like that does not display rational thinking since Hofstra's major success was in football and in professional sports placement -- the NFL and then Hofstra's men's BB.

As for the MAAC, the schools there are Catholic and that is not a good fit for Hofstra.

I suspect Hofstra will do nothing as Jack stated. Also forget the Patriot League, they did not want Hofstra 20 years and do not want Hofstra now.

Thanks for reading.

as one of the old men who remembers the ECC.
    1- i think we left the AE "too soon" we were not ready and COULD have made ourselves a dominant team and stronger before the move to th CAA.
    2- We will NEVER win the CAA Tournament- has nothing to do with coaching, players, etc. That thing is set up to send a school from Virginia to the NCAA's. The only way we make it out of CAA is with an At-large-
    3- I have been saying for 3 years we belong in the MAAC. is it a weaker conference? now...yes. Iona is a good team, we will be too. EVERYTHING is so much closer. We'd have a shot.
    4- We move to the A-10 and we won't make the dance for another 5-10 years. look at Fordham. We are gonna compete with Dayton? Xavier? possibly Butler? not anytime soon.
    I couldn't agree more on point 4, especially. We screwed up the timing on a possible move up, Royle-ly.

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Pride Fan View Post

And, we can get a play-in game as a 14 seed, or if we're really lucky, a 15 seed and be one-and-done. Woo hoo.
    Siena just got a 9 seed three years ago.

You lose again on any and all MAAC arguments.

MAAC is a good conference and Jack is the expert in most things related to Hofstra sports. He is an avod fan, graduated from Hofstra and is a sports communications professional.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCoolHofstra View Post
    MAAC is a good conference and Jack is the expert in most things related to Hofstra sports. He is an avod fan, graduated from Hofstra and is a sports communications professional.
    Thanks, mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I couldn't agree more on point 4, especially. We screwed up the timing on a possible move up, Royle-ly.
    Nice word play.

I pretty much agree with hualums point too, but nothing really says we will make the dance in the next 5-10 years in the CAA either, so it's a moot point to me.

If we got into the A-10, I would expect an improvement in recruiting, we probably would be able to get more of the top locals to stay, rather than go to URI, Providence, could put us on a more level playing field with Rutgers and Seton Hall too. The A-10 name means something to local recruits, or at least the coaches whispering into their players ears. TP used to say something to that effect all the time when he was at Hofstra.

Not your Mom though! Just telling the truth!