JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Let the fur fly, gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by HUSID80 View Post
    Any school that has football could probably keep their current conference affiliation...as for Iona...from an academic/size standpoint wouldn't really fit...Fordham would be better but it probably would never happen
    Why would you want Iona? They "weren't even in the conversation" for an at large - Oh. Wait.

Look at the schools I mentioned they are all universities with very good academics...sorry Iona doesn't fit the profile in many ways

Quote Originally Posted by stuball888 View Post
    How about we add Iona. A short car ride from Hofstra. Also how long until this new conference has to wait to get an auto bid.
    Hofstra and Drexel to the MAAC. You'll have a conference RPI in the top 15 and a chance at a decent NCAA seed and maybe two bids.

Look at the schools I mentioned they are all universities with very good academics...sorry Iona doesn't fit the profile in many ways
    William and Mary would say the same thing about us. In fact, we might be the weakest academically on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by HU76 View Post
    Hofstra and Drexel to the MAAC. You'll have a conference RPI in the top 15 and a chance at a decent NCAA seed and maybe two bids.
    That isn't a crazy thought. Part of the reason the MAAC really wants La Salle is for the Philly market. Still, I know they would prefer La Salle to Drexel.

And to JoeCool, I have no clue what Hofstra's next move is. I could definitely see us doing absolutely nothing.

Not for nothing but we should create a new conference of private non-catholic schools...let's start with Hofstra, Drexel, Northeastern, and maybe William and Mary from the CAA...Add Boston University, George Washington, Davidson and Charleston...nice geographic footprint, good schools and good basketball...just a thought...comments please...feel free to rip away! Or add to the conversation.
    William & Mary is actually a state school, although a very small one at 3,000 enrollment. Still by far the best academic school in the CAA though. The only private schools in the conference besides Hofstra are Northeastern and Drexel.

Quote Originally Posted by tedhofstra View Post
    Hofstra was a 13 seed in 2001 when they won the America East and had six point lead against UCLA with 13 minutes left and Vermont was also a 13 seed when it beat Syracuse in 2005 so it is not automatic that the America East champion gets an impossible first round game.
    Well aware but those are the aberrations. You can even throw in a loss - Albany outplaying top-seeded UConn as a 16 for 30 min before UConn stopped taking them for granted and beat them by 13. Most years, it's along the lines of what Vermont drew this year or what Boston U. drew last year.

as one of the old men who remembers the ECC.
    1- i think we left the AE "too soon" we were not ready and COULD have made ourselves a dominant team and stronger before the move to th CAA.
    2- We will NEVER win the CAA Tournament- has nothing to do with coaching, players, etc. That thing is set up to send a school from Virginia to the NCAA's. The only way we make it out of CAA is with an At-large-
    3- I have been saying for 3 years we belong in the MAAC. is it a weaker conference? now...yes. Iona is a good team, we will be too. EVERYTHING is so much closer. We'd have a shot.
    4- We move to the A-10 and we won't make the dance for another 5-10 years. look at Fordham. We are gonna compete with Dayton? Xavier? possibly Butler? not anytime soon.

I agree that the MAAC has a lot of elements that could be a great fit for HU: private schools, locations, great possible rivalries, winnable, etc...

the only thing is that HU is a little bit 'bigger' than those schools - and what I mean is basically just size-wise of enrollment, academics, and yes even slightly on the athletic side with facilities and I HOPE aspirations to be something much bigger and better than they currently are

in that respect, the A10 is REALLY the dream spot I would LOVE to see HU in - if this U had not totally sh!t the bed over the last decade, they could have put themselves in a position to actually be desirable by that conf

as it stands, yes HU has improved academics and made strides to improve it's rep and added a med school, but HU regressed athletically, and therefore I'm sure there's no shot for the A10

so with that, the MAAC is prob the next best choice - would like to see another CAA school come with, or like a BU, but their enrollment size def doesn't fit that conf

one thing is for sure: sorry PPF, it's been an interesting experience but HU needs to get the hell out of the CAA. The CAA is purely using and abusing the non-VA schools so that the VA schools can excel - HU is just a means to an ends, as are others, and completely treated that way - 2nd class citizens.

I want out.

oh and as far as struggling in the A10, lol, we struggle in the CAA so what's the big deal?!?! I would sure as hell rather struggle against the A10 programs than the CAA!!

at least those games would be better rivalries and most DEF attract more attention around here and bring in more fans

no one, not even the VA 3, can deny that FOR HU playing more northeast programs like UMass, URI, FU, St. Joes, etc. would do wonders for attendance and newspaper ink

alas, A10 is likely not realistic, so I digress...