TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Let the fur fly, gentlemen.

Awesome piece

Quote Originally Posted by tedhofstra View Post
    Great article Jack! Anything of note that didn't make the piece you can share with us?
    Yeah, the one thing I wanted in there but was overruled was a quote from Ensor welcoming any of the schools mentioned in the article to apply to the MAAC. That said, the school he *really* wants is La Salle, but the others would also be considered.

Jack did you get to talk to Pecora? Did you ask him for an interview?
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most!

Quote Originally Posted by stuball888 View Post
    Jack did you get to talk to Pecora? Did you ask him for an interview?
    I did not, nor did I ask. I really didn't need it. It was his quote a few years ago that inspired the article. Already knew his position.

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Pride Fan View Post
    Because even when the MAAC conference champion gets what most consider to be a gift from the committee, they are stuck playing in a difficult play-in game against BYU, just for the right to get a 14 seed and a date with 3rd-seeded Marquette. And, all the second-best team in the league gets is a 15 seed and a near-impossible game with 2nd-seeded Ohio State.

Whereas, the CAA champion gets a 12 seed against a 5 it can beat, and a very attainable path to at least a Sweet 16, or since they and another team from that league have done recently, maybe a lot further.

And, that's what it's all about. When you're good enough to make the tourney, being able to do something of note once you're there. Not simply getting a play-in game or a 15 seed, patting yourself on the back for that, and going home as fast as you got there. That was great for us the two years we did it in the AE, because it had been a 23-year wait before that. But, once that's accomplished, the goals should be higher.
    Hofstra was a 13 seed in 2001 when they won the America East and had six point lead against UCLA with 13 minutes left and Vermont was also a 13 seed when it beat Syracuse in 2005 so it is not automatic that the America East champion gets an impossible first round game.

Not for nothing but we should create a new conference of private non-catholic schools...let's start with Hofstra, Drexel, Northeastern, and maybe William and Mary from the CAA...Add Boston University, George Washington, Davidson and Charleston...nice geographic footprint, good schools and good basketball...just a thought...comments please...feel free to rip away! Or add to the conversation.

Sounds good, but it'd have to be non-football schools.
    2002, 2005, and 2014 ECRHA Champions. twitter.com/HofstraHockey

How about we add Iona. A short car ride from Hofstra. Also how long until this new conference has to wait to get an auto bid.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most!

Any school that has football could probably keep their current conference affiliation...as for Iona...from an academic/size standpoint wouldn't really fit...Fordham would be better but it probably would never happen

Excellent article.
    Jack, what is Hofstra's next move if any? Where do you see the school's programs going? Staying in the CAA? Another Div I. conference or downgrading to Div. III