Elon
HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Monday Morning Quarterback: Who's Happy?

The last true point guard to start for Mason prior to Allen this year was Tremaine Price in the 1999-2000 and 2000-2001 seasons. After that Coach L relied on combo guards (Heinen, Tony, Shaq, Cam) or point forwards (Jon L and Luke). Terry Reynolds was a true PG who flamed out in less than a season. Jordan Carter started for the better part of his junior year. Allen was basically a freshman experience wise, he had his good and bad moments.

Quote Originally Posted by The old PF View Post
    The last true point guard to start for Mason prior to Allen this year was Tremaine Price in the 1999-2000 and 2000-2001 seasons. After that Coach L relied on combo guards (Heinen, Tony, Shaq, Cam) or point forwards (Jon L and Luke). Terry Reynolds was a true PG who flamed out in less than a season. Jordan Carter started for the better part of his junior year. Allen was basically a freshman experience wise, he had his good and bad moments.
    If VCU can recruit true PG's who lead the CAA in assists each year, then why can't Mason?

I wouldn't consider Allen a true point guard... yet. Remember, he played the 2G all throughout his HS career. It wasn't until his Sr. year at Prep that he started playing PG. His Fr. season was spent pretty much on the bench, so this past season was really only his 2nd year playing PG in games. The offseason he should know exactly what to work on to get better. I really think we could see a big improvement in his game for next year. His assist to turnover ratio was pretty good last season. If he can limit the turnovers, he could be a major player in the CAA.

Quote Originally Posted by 99 Patriot View Post
    I might give you Cornelius on this one, but how on earth did the other seniors underperform? Andre was supposed to be this amazing PG we stole from ACC country. While he turned out to be a tremendous shooter from distance, he never became the game-changing PG we wanted. Still, he had a lot of nice moments throughout his 4 years.

Mike did not come here with a lot of hype. As a matter of fact, I think a lot of people were scared he would become the next Deon Cooper. Instead he became a 3-year starter, one of the best defensive bigs we've ever had and by all accounts the leader of this team when things fell apart last off-season. Yes, he showed signs of greatness that he didn't duplicate night in, night out, but to not say he overperformed through his 4 years is a little silly.

Then Ryan only managed to be 5th in all-time scoring at Mason and the first Conference Player of the Year Mason has had since George Evans. Yup, never lived up to the hype.

Maybe not the right thread to post this, but I think we will miss these seniors, Mike and Ryan in particular more than anyone here knows. Since they were sophomores they have been the leaders of this team on and off the court. This fall, we have no idea who is going to step up. We can all theorize over who is ready to step up, but the fact is, right now we have no clue.
    Alright maybe underperformed was harsh, and obviously can't argue to much with Ryan's performance (CAA POY... he did great), but have to say I was disappointed in Cornelius, and somewhat with Mike. Cornelius did well last year handling things at the point as well as being a fairly consistent scoring threat, and I had hope that he could come in after that suspension (which alone was unfortunate) and sure up the turnovers and bring some stability to Mason's overall tempo, but instead was pretty inconsistent scoring. I love Mike's heart and his defensive capabilities, guess I always just hoped he would develop his offense a little more and be a little more dominant with Ryan. Given all that I did love both of those guys heart in that VCU game, especially from Mike, wish he had more games like that one this year. Only knock on Ryan was just how things went down in the tourny...shouldn't have cut his beard, or bad matchups or Hewitt didn't use him right, attitude, i dont know what just seemed crazy to me his playing time and production in those two games.

Overall its a little disappointing these guys couldn't bring home a championship that I knew they wanted badly too. It was a great core that I thought would have the talent this year (despite our losses) to win, but just didn't work out that way. Oh and for them to have only been knocked out by VCU all these years.... OUCH! I thought we were due (law of averages) to win this one... but that 32-4 start, surronded by VCU fans (i know part of the problem)... that was tough.

Maybe now that we got a new coach behind the wheel, we'll get different recruits. One can dream anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by Pablos View Post
    If VCU can recruit true PG's who lead the CAA in assists each year, then why can't Mason?
    Who says we can't?

It just never was a real point of emphasis for Larranaga since his offense relied on spreading the playmaking duties among two or three players.

Many GT fans have noted that Hewitt's offense relies on having great PG play, so I'm quite sure he and the staff will make a point of developing Allen/Edwards and recruting heavily at the PG spot.

I blame George W. Bush.

I blame Jollay...

Quote Originally Posted by CentDukesFan View Post
    I blame the politics board being gone. Pikapp doesnt have a widely read media to channel his hatred.

This hurts me to the core - I only espoused the hard truth and golden drops of unassailable intellect which I gave away for free on the politics board.

Et tu Duke??
    America in distress - targeted, harrassed, and persecuted by an out of control Administration.
    Resist, refuse, and defeat the power of Tyranny. Bring the USA back from its great mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanorm View Post
    I blame Jollay...
    Finally, a post I can agree with!
    2011 NCAA 2nd Rd, 2009 NIT, 2008 NCAA, 2006 NCAA FINAL 4, 2004 NIT Sweet 16, 2002 NIT, 2001 NCAA, 1999 NCAA