JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Shaka may be on the move

Humor guys.

You guys who want a "rock star" coach, this is what you get. Every program that fires a coach puts your "rock star" at the top of their list. It was like a punch in the gut when Capel left, when Grant left, and it will be again whenever Shaka leaves. This agonizing is the price we pay every year. Fortunately for us, our AD has done a great job with each new hire. It's a roll of the dice. Is this the game odu wants to play?

Shaka can say he wants to stay at VCU all he wants, but seriously you can't ignore it when a team might show up offering double the salary, with double the resources, in a big time conference. With today's economy seriously who here would ignore that? I think this season went a LONG way towards validating what Shaka did last season. I won't deny I'd love to see him move on. I think this time, they may have a tough time finding a coach equally as good, even though VCU now has to be one of if not the most attractive Mid Major jobs in the country. Not to say, I don't think they'll be successful if Shaka moves on, but he'll be a tough act to follow. Dude is a top notch motivator.

Quick question, if Shaka moves on, does Havoc continue at VCU? It's not like it's a very common style coached by many coaches, but it has to be a BIG motivator for recruits seeing as it looks to be a fun style to play. Do you look to find a coach to continue that, or does a new coach adjust HIS style to continue it?
    GO Big BLUE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by enonram View Post
    Humor guys.

You guys who want a "rock star" coach, this is what you get. Every program that fires a coach puts your "rock star" at the top of their list. It was like a punch in the gut when Capel left, when Grant left, and it will be again whenever Shaka leaves. This agonizing is the price we pay every year. Fortunately for us, our AD has done a great job with each new hire. It's a roll of the dice. Is this the game odu wants to play?
    That's a good question for some of our "Fire Blaine" crowd. Do you want to go after "rock star" coaches who need to be replaced every 2-3 years? VCU has done a fantastic job of making lateral hiring moves or upgrading (slightly) with each new hire. At some point there's going to be a swing and a miss. Is that the way ODU wants to go?
    If I don't respond, it's because you're on 'Ignore.'

Internally, I think Mike Rhoades would be a good hire. He knows the system and has had success has a head coach on a differnt level (I think that shows he knows his x's and o's).

"Havoc" the term came with Shaka, but we played a very similar style under Grant. It would make sense to continue that style as we have the type players to play it, bench depth, and it's a good recruiting tool (kids like to play that style).

Still, all this is way above my bball knowledge. I'll trust Norwood Teague to make the right decision when the time comes. He has a pretty good track record for hiring.

"I won't deny I'd love to see him move on"...............Why??? Is that the way you want to win! I personally want to take on the best there is and try to beat it. I hope he stays and they keep kicking our ass until we get good enough to beat them. If we can't do that, then we need to look at getting someone in here that can!

Simple solution: VCU matches whatever salary Illinois has to offer. VCU is the much more attractive job if not for the money. Less pressure, it is already working out so there is no risk in staying, and it is a much, much bigger career accomplishment to win a championship at VCU than it at Illinois. Frankly, I hope they go match Illinois salary. It will set the bar for when Taylor leaves, no way Wood will be able to follow the UNCW route and hire an unproven scrub for $200k per year.

Quote Originally Posted by EverRespect View Post
    Simple solution: VCU matches whatever salary Illinois has to offer. VCU is the much more attractive job if not for the money. Less pressure, it is already working out so there is no risk in staying, and it is a much, much bigger career accomplishment to win a championship at VCU than it at Illinois.
    Agreed. I just don't find Illinois that great of a job (minus the money). Richmond isn't great, but it's better than Champaign, Illinois. I think Shaka will surprise some people and stay.

Shaka has said before (paraphrasing): I don't want to make a habit of running from success.
    He has talked about how hurt he was as a player when the coach that recruited him bolted. If money was what he was in coaching for, he could have gotten that after last year.

I wouldn't be too surprised if he stayed, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he left either.

Hey, the guy is in his what, mid 30's? Money is nice and all but what CAN'T he already buy that he might desire for himself and for his family?

Mr. Smart may very well want the challenge of winning the big one as the head coach of a "mid-major".

Quote Originally Posted by enonram View Post
    I hear BT is their second choice.
    Yes as water boy.