JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Small Town America, clingin' to my guns & religion

Quote Originally Posted by Mason98 View Post
    I think it's highly likely that Duke and UNC stay within their respective family coaching trees -- even though UNC didn't do well with Guthridge and Doherty they still stayed in the family with Roy...and I'd expect Duke to do the same with someone like Collins, Dawkins or Amaker.
    Amaker?

What, Henderson not available?
    I have a son. He looks like Brian Terry.

Default Re: Shaka Smart at the top of Illinois List

Quote Originally Posted by Mason98 View Post
    I think it's highly likely that Duke and UNC stay within their respective family coaching trees -- even though UNC didn't do well with Guthridge and Doherty they still stayed in the family with Roy...and I'd expect Duke to do the same with someone like Collins, Dawkins or Amaker.
    Collins and Wojo are hanging around, waiting for K to finally hang it up, but Duke's little secret is that neither of those guys have a chance in hell of getting the job. Neither doess Amaker and Dawkins isn't exactly lighting the world on fire at Stanford.

While the K family may want someone from the K coaching tree, and Duke's administration thinks they want the same thing, it has been demonstrated many times that making a clean break is the best way to go. Giving the job to a K disciple only guarantees that his shadow engulfs the program long after he's gone.

Stevens is a great freaking basketball coach, and he's young like K was when he took the Duke job. He's also accompliushed enough on his own (at Butler, no less) that he'd have the credibility with recruits/AAU coaches to keep Duke rolling right along. He'd still get second-guessed -- whoever succeeds K is gonna have to deal with that -- but nothing like Collins or Wojo would face.

Smart at UCLA and Stevens at Duke are two young stars who could become all-time greats at two of the blue-bloods. It just makes too much sense not to happen.

Regardless, Mason is gonna have to increase funding for bball to stay competitive. TOC knows how to run the ship on a tight budget, but he's got only, what, 2 to 3 years left at Mason. Hopefully its longer.

Jim - I don't necessarily disagree with any of your logic but, at the end of the day, I'd be very surprised if Duke doesn't stay in the family because of respect for K (even if misguided) and wanting to put someone in place who understands exactly what K built -- not to mention, if K goes to bat for someone, as an AD you almost have to go with it. We'll see.