NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A10 opening

Default Re: A10 opening

Quote Originally Posted by KA View Post
    No way, no how we should make any move until all the conference shuffling is done, or at least a better picture emerges.

My money is the A-10 will be a dog here soon and the CAA will be stronger.
    Patience is the key.
    As always - KA - your jump in with the money shot.

+10000
    America in distress - targeted, harrassed, and persecuted by an out of control Administration.
    Resist, refuse, and defeat the power of Tyranny. Bring the USA back from its great mistake.

A move would cost the university too much money, period. as a whole, we are near the bottom of the CAA in spending on athletics. Its certainly not cheaper in the A10

No way, no how we should make any move until all the conference shuffling is done, or at least a better picture emerges.

My money is the A-10 will be a dog here soon and the CAA will be stronger.
    Patience is the key.
    Agreed, IMO eventually the Big East will split along football and basketball lines. The Big East Basketball schools will scoop up the top tier of the A-10 (Xavier, Dayton, SLU, St. Joe's) leaving an undesirable conference.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot lawdog View Post
    Another pro is that fact that their tournament will now be at the new arena in Brooklyn.
    the negative to this is the arena will be huge with a small crowd, I'm not sure how many people in NYC will give a damn about the A-10 especially with tournament coinciding with the Big East and have you stayed in NY recently?? Hotels are ungodly expensive. Otherwise a great city to play in.

That said, I would have maybe popped in for a game when I lived in Brooklyn, but most people there probably know more about the good city high school teams than the teams in the A-10

Quote Originally Posted by vcurams05 View Post
    the negative to this is the arena will be huge with a small crowd, I'm not sure how many people in NYC will give a damn about the A-10 especially with tournament coinciding with the Big East and have you stayed in NY recently?? Hotels are ungodly expensive. Otherwise a great city to play in.

That said, I would have maybe popped in for a game when I lived in Brooklyn, but most people there probably know more about the good city high school teams than the teams in the A-10
    You might be right, except they did a study and found that the highest concentration of A-10 alums live in the NYC metro area. So I think their attendance will get a big boost from their AC days.

It's not complicated for those that are trying to figure it out. As it stands RIGHT NOW the odds are:

The CAA's best days are AHEAD, teh A-10s are BEHIND.

That's why we sit still and see what comes to pass instead of knee jerking a response.
    Only three things in this world make me nervous: snakes, un-tuned guitars and red-headed women.

KA's father, circa 1980

Quote Originally Posted by PiKappPatri8 View Post
    They had several years of drop off after leaving with regards to men's basketball. Once a big team like Temple (then maybe Xavier) leave the A-10 it looks like a dog.

I just do not see the upside that is worth the cost of changing.

Maybe I am tainted looking at GW who now loses like a dog, complains about no media coverage and talks about teams like Fordham et al.

I am not as bedazzled by the A10 as some others are. I could be wrong - I am open to that - just does not look good from a window shopping perspective.
    For what it's worth, Richmond would have struggled in the CAA with the carnage that Jerry Wainright left behind. It wasn't an A10 thing.

It's not complicated for those that are trying to figure it out. As it stands RIGHT NOW the odds are:

The CAA's best days are AHEAD, teh A-10s are BEHIND.

That's why we sit still and see what comes to pass instead of knee jerking a response.
    Agreed we have right now - four strong perennial teams in the conference - I see GSU coming up strong and making it 5. If one other team comes up like that ( I am smelling Towson) you have a basketball conference that will have half of its members as strong contenders with post season aspirations.

I just see the A-10 minus Temple and possibly Xavier leaving as a weak dog. I like the media markets the CAA covers and the geographic footprint.

The CAA will take a big bump in quality if we were to trade Hofstra for College of Charleston bolstering UNCW and GSU geographically.
    America in distress - targeted, harrassed, and persecuted by an out of control Administration.
    Resist, refuse, and defeat the power of Tyranny. Bring the USA back from its great mistake.

Pikapp, if the A-10 fizzles out, Charlotte might join the CAA.

I don't see that we're in any better of a position in regards to the A-10 as a conference:

ODU, JMU, and GSU have FBS ambitions. If the opportunity arises, they're gone.

VCU wants to be the top basketball team in the state of Virginia. I think they'll jump into the A-10 if given the chance (with hopes of a Big East split invite when it happens)

We're also in danger of losing Delaware to FBS if the right opportunity arises as well.

Yeager, in an attempt to salvage CAA Football will most likely target lower level playing football schools looking to move into a better FCS conference -- so think Coastal Carolina, Stony Brook, Albany, Furman etc. None of whom sound too appealing to a basketball school like Mason.

The same thing that can happen to the A-10 can happen to the CAA, but for different reasons.